Albert Speer with SS headdress!?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
hec801

Albert Speer with SS headdress!?

Post by hec801 » 17 May 2005, 20:04

Hallo,

this is a pic from German Focus Magazin! Why does Speer wear a SS headdress? It is timed summer 1940 Franc...

Thanks

Hannes
Attachments
Speer summer 1940.jpg
Speer summer 1940.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 725 times

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 17 May 2005, 20:11

The mystery thickens. It appears that Speer had been a SS man but not a SS member [!].
MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: Youthere is some question as to just what your relation to the SS was. Will you tell me whether you were a member of the SS?

SPEER: No, I was not a member of the SS.

MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: You filled out an application at one time, or one was filled out for you, and you never went through with it, I believe, or something of that sort.

SPEER: That was in 1943 when Himmler wanted me to get a high rank in the SS. He had often wanted it before when I was still an architect. I got out of it by saying that I was willing to be an ordinary SS man under him because I had already been an SS man before. Thereupon, Gruppenfuhrer Wolff provisionally filled out an application form and wanted to know what my previous SS activities had been in 1932. It came up during his inquiries that in those days I was never registered as a member of the SS, and because of this they did not insist on my joining as I did not want to become a new member now.

MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: And why did you not want to be a member of the SS, which was after all one of the important Party formations?

SPEER: No, I became well known for turning down all these honorary ranks. I did not want them because I felt that one should only hold a rank where one had responsibility.

MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: And you did not want any responsibility in the SS?

SPEER: I had too little contact with the SS, and did not want any responsibility in that connection.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... Speer.html
Best regards/ Daniel

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 17 May 2005, 23:43

When Hitler was visiting Paris 1940 with his attendants in the early morning, among them architects and artists, they had to wear for camouflage SS-caps and leather-coats.
This is the correct information for this pic :idea: :idea:

DZ

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 18 May 2005, 14:38

I have to disagree that Paris is the location of this photo. Speer can be clearly seen wearing his 1939 style political leaders visor cap in all photos of Hitler's visit to Paris. This photo was taken elsewhere.

Mark Costa

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”