Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

HIGHEST RANKING NAZIS STILL ALIVE

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections.
Hosted by Dieter Zinke & Elwyn W.

HIGHEST RANKING NAZIS STILL ALIVE

Postby Ezboard on 29 Sep 2002 19:49

alcogg1
Visitor
(6/17/01 5:04:05 am)
Reply HIGHEST RANKING NAZIS STILL ALIVE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone provide any info on the highest ranking Nazi or Axis war vet still alive?

Stephen
(6/17/01 8:09:48 am)
Reply Re: HIGHEST RANKING NAZIS STILL ALIVE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good question.

I believe the highest ranking Waffen-SS vets still alive are SS-Brigadefuehrer und Generalmajor der Waffen-SS Otto Kumm (born 1909) and SS-Oberfuehrer Wilhelm Mohnke (born 1911). Both commanded divisions of the Waffen-SS in the last months of the war.

As Waffen-SS generals tended to be younger than their Wehrmacht equivalents they may the highest ranking German field officers still alive. There were some young Luftwaffe leaders though.

Stephen

Michael Miller
Visitor
(6/17/01 8:35:16 am)
Reply ...
I think former Generalmajor (Luftwaffe) and holder of the Swords to the Knight's Cross Dietrich Peltz, born 9. June 1914, may still be living. The frequently updated "Ritterkreuz Hauptseite" doesn't indicate that he's passed away.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller

Michael Miller
Visitor
(6/17/01 8:37:07 am)
Reply ...
Among the longest living Wehrmacht leaders was surely General der Panzertruppe Werner Kempf, a holder of the Knight's Cross with Oakleaves. Born on 9. Mar. 1886, he lived until 6. Jan. 1994!

~ Mike Miller

LEVE
(6/17/01 9:08:51 am)
Reply Re: ...
SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Alois Brunner, Private Secretary to Adolf Eichman, was born in Austria in 1912. He's belived to be living in Syria. Though there have been several sightings none have been confirmed. The Syrian government denies he's in the country and to date no death record exists.

Geoff Walden
(6/17/01 9:41:24 am)
Reply Re: Wilhelm Mohnke
Didn't Mohnke die a couple months ago? I read that somewhere, but have not seen it confirmed.

Anyone know for sure? Date, burial location?

Geoff Walden

Stephen
Veteran Member
(6/17/01 11:57:35 am)
I have not heard that Mohnke died. I have searched the archives of the Times and the BBC and there is no mention of his death - which I expect there would be given that there is still an ongoing campaign to have him brought to trial for war crimes.

The most recent mention of Mohnke in the Times was last November, in this article:

"FRIDAY NOVEMBER 24 2000

Fight to save SS killing field from the plough

BY MICHAEL EVANS DEFENCE EDITOR

A FIELD in France visited each year by veterans of Dunkirk in honour of British soldiers massacred by the SS is under threat from a farmer who wants to plant potatoes.
The field lies between the villages of Esquelbecq and Wormhodt, 15 miles from Dunkirk, and was recently bought by a young farmer who wants to plough it up for the crop.

It was the site of one of the worst massacres suffered by the British Army in the war and the mayors of the two villages, which have treated the field like sacred ground for 60 years, are appealing for funds to save it from the plough.

The majority of the victims were men from the 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who had been providing cover for the British Expeditionary Force as it made its way to Dunkirk for evacuation to England.

About 50 from the regiment were among 80 to 90 soldiers captured by a battalion of the SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler, the Nazi leader’s bodyguard unit, and herded into a barn in the large field. The SS unit, ordered to take no prisoners, threw stick-grenades into the barn, then entered with machineguns and killed those they saw were still alive.

About 20 survived, a handful from the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and others from various units, including the Cheshires and the Royal Artillery.

Alfred Tombs, now nearly 89 and one of the few Royal Warwickshire Regiment survivors, has visited the site of the massacre more than a dozen times over the years and is appalled that the field could be ploughed up.

The barn has long since gone, but the tree which stood close to the farm building where the soldiers were killed, remains and has been the focus of annual pilgrimages. Small crosses have been put round the tree and on the spot where the barn once stood. Mr Tombs, who lives in Droitwich in Worcestershire, said: “This young farmer cannot understand what this field means to us. There are so few survivors left today, but it would be very sad if it was ploughed up.”

He said that when the Waffen SS troops started to throw grenades into the barn, he dropped to the ground. “There were about 20 of my close mates in the barn, and I remember one young soldier, almost buried by bodies on top of him, calling out to the Germans, ‘Shoot me, shoot me’. And they did, they shot him in the head.

“I was very lucky. When the Germans had gone, I and a few others came out of the barn and went into the local village.”

Another survivor, Albert Evans, in his eighties and now living in Redditch, near Birmingham, had his right arm shattered by one of the explosions and was also hit twice in the neck. He agreed with Mr Tombs, that the field should be preserved. A spokesman for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which reburied the bodies of the British soldiers at a cemetery in Esquelbecq, said there were several names missing at the village memorial and it was likely there were still remains under the field.

The mayors have been trying to raise Fr250,000 (about £25,000) to buy the field from the farmer and have succeeded in collecting Fr100,000, largely through the sale of a local history of the massacre. Jeff Rooker, the Social Security Minister, who has been campaigning for years for the officer in charge of the SS unit, Wilhelm Mohnke, to be charged with war crimes, told the BBC Today programme that the money should be raised by regimental associations. Major Richard Mills, of the Royal Warwickshire Regimental Association, said its funds were locked up with the Charity Commissioners and were intended for use by its poorest members."

Stephen

Stephen
Veteran Member
(6/17/01 12:03:45 pm)
Leve

Brunner is an interesting character but as a mere captain he's not in the running for highest ranking survivor.

Didn't Mossad obtain a telephone conversation with Brunner in Syria in which he was unrepentant over his role in the Holocaust?

If the Syrians still deny he's living there I doubt there will be a lot in the way of official documentation when he dies.

Stephen

LEVE
(6/17/01 12:49:08 pm)
Stephen, though a Captian is not of the Highest Rank, if Alois lives long enough... he may just make that title! Though he may not have held one of the highest ranks, he did wield a great deal of influnce working in the Jewish Affairs Office, Vienna, Section IV B4. His zeal was unmatched.

There is also another meaning for the word Rank and that one fits Alois like a glove!

The Mossad does want him dead and keeps trying to do the job. Brunner has lost a fingers and an eye to more than one Mossad letter bomb.

You're right about his unrepentant attitude. He was quoted in the "Bunte", an Austrian magazine interview, saying his one regret was that he hadn't murdered more Jews.

Then in 1987 the Chicago Sun Times had a phone interview with Brunner. He again reiterated his anti-Jewish attitude by saying: "The Jews deserved to die. I have no regrets. If I had the chance I would do it again..."

He is not a nice man.

Stephen
Veteran Member
(6/17/01 2:18:25 pm)
"he is not a nice man"

I completely agree, I was using "interesting" in a euphemistic way!

Daniela
Visitor
(6/17/01 6:49:44 pm)
Reply God pleasure
God pleasure, that Hitler is dead! I'm from Austria, and I'm not proud of that shit, what has happened! I feel sorry for you all!

dan
Visitor
(6/17/01 9:14:15 pm)
Reply language
Maybe you'd better stick to German, as your English is as bad as your imagination.

Rolf Zachariae
Visitor
(6/17/01 9:19:31 pm)
Reply ;o)!!!
Daniela, your brain is a ball of fluff. Go somewhere else (the Hello Kitty Homepage or Teletubbies.com); this place is clearly not for you.

john39
(6/17/01 10:42:05 pm)
Reply Re: ;o)!!!
Rolf and Da,

Your responses are very ungracious, and unworthy of the attempt at apology from a non-English speaking contributor.

Dare I say, childish?

John.

pdhinkle
Veteran Member
(6/17/01 11:10:25 pm)
Reply HIGHEST RANKING NAZIS STILL ALIVE
Rank? in the party or the Military? After the wall came down, there was one that was not seen for decades that turned up in Berlin. It may have been Monke. Who knows who or where!

Rolf Zachariae
Visitor
(6/17/01 11:28:21 pm)
Reply :::;;;o)
Please tell me you're kidding. She came here and insulted everyone- why should I be gracious toward her? She thinks I'm a Nazi just because I frequent a place of historical research on the Third Reich. To Hell with her.

Roberto Muehlenkamp
Veteran Member
(6/18/01 12:25:32 pm)
Reply Re: :::;;;o)
Daniela:

<<God pleasure, that Hitler is dead! I'm from Austria, and I'm not proud of that shit, what has happened! I feel sorry for you all!>>

Rolf:

<<Daniela, your brain is a ball of fluff. Go somewhere else (the Hello Kitty Homepage or Teletubbies.com); this place is clearly not for you.>>

<<Please tell me you're kidding. She came here and insulted everyone- why should I be gracious toward her? She thinks I'm a Nazi just because I frequent a place of historical research on the Third Reich. To Hell with her.>>

I don't agree with Daniela's harsh generalizing assessment of those who post on this forum, but I think the only one who has used insulting language here is Mr. Rolf.

Rolf
Visitor
(6/18/01 2:13:51 pm)
Reply Right
Right- nothing insulting here:

<<I just wanted to watch such a stupid
site - and it's .... shit! Just shit! Don't answer me such
stupid post! I don't want to hear, that you hate people
with a different colour or homosexuals! I can't say, what I
think! I'm full with hate when I read such fucking things!>>

Roberto Muehlenkamp
Veteran Member
(6/18/01 3:31:11 pm)
Reply Re: Right
That's not nice, but it sounds like a reaction to something someone said before.

Rolf
Visitor
(6/18/01 6:04:14 pm)
Reply So what of it?
Possibly. But regardless, it doesn't exactly make me want to invite this lady to tea.

Roberto Muehlenkamp
Veteran Member
(6/18/01 6:09:51 pm)
Reply Re: So what of it?
Why not? Taming a wild woman can be interesting.
Ezboard
International

Postby Ezboard on 29 Sep 2002 19:49

Rolf
Visitor
(6/18/01 6:39:16 pm)
Reply ___
But taming a rabidly politically correct woman who bashes historians for the kind of history they study is boring and useless. That's why I decided to show her the door. Tired of having to justify my interest to every easily offended person who stumbles in horror across a site like this one.

daniela
Visitor
(6/18/01 6:47:55 pm)
Reply ...
Ok, I know my English is ... shit! But, whatever I tried to say, it's my oppinion! And I'm sorry, if I call someone as a Nazi, but he isn't! That's all I have to say!

But I also can be nice!

Daniela

Roberto Muehlenkamp
Veteran Member
(6/18/01 7:19:43 pm)
Reply Re: ...
Rolf,

Sorry to say, but you're reacting like a sissy.

Daniela,

I have no doubt you can also be nice. Feel free to show it.
Ezboard
International

Return to Axis Biographical Research