Who Are These Generals?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Can Balcioglu

Who Are These Generals?

Post by Can Balcioglu » 30 Dec 2005, 19:32

Hey people I keep ending up finding the names of these German Generals. I checked their names in Oxford's Companion to World War 2 but not much info is there. Please help;

Krebs, Burgdorf, Weidling, Mohnke, Hoth, Bittrich, Wenck, Steiner

Please pardon my ignorance I know these people are known by all here but spare me, I don't :D

Stauffenberg II

Post by Stauffenberg II » 30 Dec 2005, 19:52

Can Balcioglu

Post by Can Balcioglu » 30 Dec 2005, 23:20

Thanks So Much!!!

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 31 Dec 2005, 03:21

Hello Can Balcioglu,

I have some more information on some of these Generals:

WILHELM BURGDORF was one of the 2 Generals despatched by Keitel to visit Field Marshal Rommel and inform him of the charges of treason being levelled against him. Burgdorf was with Rommel when he committed suicide later on that day whilst travelling by car to Ulm.

HANS KREBS was the last Chief of the General Staff and visited Russian Headquarters on 1st May 1945 to offer the Russians a truce. He later returned to the Chancellery and both he and BURGDORF shot themselves later on that evening.

HELMUTH WEIDLING was in command of the defence of Berlin in April 1945. He didn't "disappear" as the website states but was held in Soviet captivity until his death in 1955.

Best wishes,

DAVID

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”