Knights Cross and German Cross in Gold

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
RalfAnton62

Knights Cross and German Cross in Gold

Post by RalfAnton62 » 30 Dec 2005, 21:09

Dear Visitors,

in my collection I have a letter of Oberst Arthur Jüttner to General (Bundeswehr) Wittman concerning a list of Members of the 62nd VGD, who were submitted to receive the German Cross in Gold and the Knights Cross, no one of the men received the award by the end of the war. Probaly from Interest for somebody out there.

The Text on the Bottom says: Between dezember 1944 until March 1945 there were by Regt. 164 killed 11 Tanks in CloseCombat, even the both sisterregiments 183 and 190 killed 19 Tanks. Men of the fieldreplacement battailon killed 9 Tanks.

Oberleutnant Schwerdt was Jüttners Adjutant. He allready lost his both hands long time before he volunteered in 1944 again. He was awarded with the Ehrenblattspange, the Nahkampfspange in Bronze and the Reiterabzeichen - all between 1944 and 1945.

The both Hauptmänner Hebel and Hurst were Bataillon Comanders in 164. Hurst also was the last regimentleader of 164.
RegimentsSchreiber Fricke was ever near to Jüttner and was awarded the NKS in Silver in March 1945.

Feldwebel Schuhmann lost both of his legs on the last day in the ruhrpocket. His machinegun position was shot by a american tank. Schuhmann was awarded with the EK for the battles in and arround Saint Vith in late december 1944. Nahkampfspange in Silber in February 1945, last Closecombat day: Counterattack through enemy positions at Schleiden - Gemünd was the 30th. Five following closecombat days were Weilerstwist, Bonn, Uckerrath, Friesenhagen and Wiehl. Woundbadge in Gold. In January 1945 preferably promotion to Feldwebel. Woundbadge Black in January 1943, gun-shot wound thigh. Woundbadge Silver, Bayonetwound right arm in december 1943 and grenade splinters in the breast in summer 44. Woundbadge Gold in April presupposed, in december 1944 strong burnings on the right hand and loss of both legs in April 1945.

I hope the informations above are for someone from further interest.

Also I search for informations and a photo of Oberst Dr. Wilhelm Sommerlad, who possible was awarded in the 62nd ID with the German Cross in Gold. I had read somewhere in the www that Sommerlad was involved somehow with the assassination on Hitler in 1944. Probaly someone has further Informations or the Book of the owners of the DKiG?

Would be nice if someone has some further Informations.

Best wishes for 2006

Ralf Anton Schäfer

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”