German Troops with Big Ben in the Background

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Jacky Kingsley

German Troops with Big Ben in the Background

Post by Jacky Kingsley » 17 Feb 2006, 19:14

Hi

If this is the wrong forum for this enquiry please move it to the correct place.

The photograph on the paperback version of 'Invasion 1940' shows German troops marching in London. (I am sorry I do not have a scanner but I have now copied the photo from a book site.) Obviously it is a photograph from another theatre of war superimposed onto the image of Big Ben. The leading soldier is a very good-looking young man. What regiment is he from? Was that regiment scheduled to invade England? Is it possible that someone may know his name? Did he survive the war?

Thank you

Jacky
Attachments
095361512X.01._BO01,224,223,220_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,22,-21_SH30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
095361512X.01._BO01,224,223,220_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,22,-21_SH30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

Panzerfaust XxX

Post by Panzerfaust XxX » 02 Mar 2006, 01:26

I think it is a "what if" type thing..

Miha Grcar

Post by Miha Grcar » 02 Mar 2006, 19:09

I think this will be moved to the books section soon.

This is not a "what if" it is a book by Walter Schellenberg. See this:
Editorial Reviews

From the Publisher
In August 1940, in compliance with the Führer¹s directive on the imminent invasion of Britain, the Gestapo prepared a secret handbook to be distributed to the occupation forces. It offered an astonishing insight into exactly how the Nazis perceived Britain and her empire, offering detailed analyses of the political and economic structure of the country, with chapters covering everything from Parliament and public schools to freemasonry and the Boy Scouts. The chapter on British Intelligence was considered so embarrassingly accurate that the few copies retrieved at the end of the war were retained by the authorities. It is only now, more than half a century later, that a translation has been made, revealing the full and remarkable truth.
and this bigger photo of the cover:

Jacky, this cover is being put together. Its not an original phot if that's what you meant and it is impossible to indentyfy which unit and which soldiers are on the photo.

best,
Miha

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 02 Mar 2006, 20:55

The soldiers part has clearly been coloured, wrongly too (gold belt buckle?). About all you can say is that it seems to have been taken around the early\mid war period and that it's an infantry unit. If someone knows the original it was taken from then it may be possible to tell more.

Rand

Post by Rand » 03 Mar 2006, 00:09

This picture is from the movie "It Happened Here" and the soldiers are simply actors. It is not a period photo.

A couple links

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003 ... ance&n=130

http://www.geocities.com/in_search_of_l ... pened.html

Jacky Kingsley

Post by Jacky Kingsley » 03 Mar 2006, 18:18

Hi

Thank you all for your comments.

Simon - I felt there was something wrong as the leading man had a luftwaffe wings, iron cross and appeared to be in a slightly different uniform from the 'soldier' a little behind him. Your reply solves the question.

Rand - Thank you for your links. I had never heard of the film and neither had my husband, but he looked it up in his film book - and there it was.

Jacky

Simon Orchard

Post by Simon Orchard » 03 Mar 2006, 20:34

Jacky Kingsley wrote:Hi

Thank you all for your comments.

Simon - I felt there was something wrong as the leading man had a luftwaffe wings, iron cross and appeared to be in a slightly different uniform from the 'soldier' a little behind him. Your reply solves the question.

Rand - Thank you for your links. I had never heard of the film and neither had my husband, but he looked it up in his film book - and there it was.

Jacky
no luftwaffe wings anywhere.

If these are just actors then that would explain the odd absence of an EKII ribbon on the officer's jacket and a KVKII instead

Jacky Kingsley

Post by Jacky Kingsley » 06 Mar 2006, 11:46

Simon

Thank you Simon. What is the badge above his (our) left pocket? And can you make out what the badges on the other pocket are meant to be?

Thank you

Jacky

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”