identification needed - Hitler meets with Antonescu

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Potsdamerplatz

identification needed - Hitler meets with Antonescu

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 16 Apr 2006, 18:45

Hello everyone.

I hoping someone can help me identify the other people in this photograph of Hitler meeting the Romanian dictator Ion Antonescu. I have had this photograph on my PC since last year, I downloaded it from one of the World War II websites.

I see German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop on the far right but I don't recognise any of the others.

I was thinking maybe the tall man in between Antonescu and Hitler could be the Fuhrer's interpreter Paul Schmidt?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

David

mjölnir

Post by mjölnir » 18 Apr 2006, 11:12

Hello Potsdamerplatz!
I can see in the pic from left to right: Antonescu, unknown romanian officer, Schmidt (you're right), Hitler, Schaub, Ribbentrop.
Can you tell me, when this pic was taken and where?
mjölnir

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 19 Apr 2006, 00:08

Thanks mjölnir :D

I believe this photograph was taken in 1940 when Hitler met with Antonescu, asking him to agree to Romania ceding Transylvania to Hungary under the terms of what became known as the Vienna Diktat.

Best regards and thanks again for your help,

David

Victor

Post by Victor » 19 Apr 2006, 10:05

Antonescu came to power after the loss of NW Transylvania, that is after the 2nd Vienna Award/Diktat
Last edited by Victor on 20 Apr 2006, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

mjölnir

Post by mjölnir » 19 Apr 2006, 14:39

Hello Potsdamerplatz!
I didn't think that this pic was taken in 1940. In my opinion Antonescu wears the Ritterkreuz (Knightcross), which he gets in 1941. So the pic was taken in or after 1941.
mjölnir

Victor

Post by Victor » 20 Apr 2006, 14:03

The Romanian officer standing next to Antonescu, looks like maj. gen. Constantin Pantazi, the Minister of Defence since 1941.

Since you already obtained most of the identifications you needed and you haven't provided the exact source for the image, it will have to be removed.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 21 Apr 2006, 00:17

Well my dear friend Victor.

It just happens that this photograph is available on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Antonescu

I will leave it to you to re-insert the photograph as I am not doing it for a 3rd time. :roll:
Perhaps you can enjoy adding photographs for a change instead of deleting them

Regards,

David

Victor

Post by Victor » 21 Apr 2006, 10:12

Add it yourself, but do it in accordance to the forum rules regarding images that are already online and next time try to search for the source faster, instead of several days later. It is not my obligation to do it for you. I used to do this when I had more time on my hands, which is not the case now.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 21 Apr 2006, 11:46

Is Wikpedia heralded as some kind of untouchable image source nowadays?

Just asking because there HAS been legal action threatened against them for misuse of images, I am sure I have read about that in the news?

Just because an image appears on the web "somewhere" doesn't make its presence legal.

Much of the information I have provided to people and sent images to now appears on other websites without my permission, the sad fact about that is unless I keep thousands and thousands of emails and reciepts how can I prove it, thats why sadly I have stopped sharing a lot of my stuff.

Regards
Matt Gibbs

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 21 Apr 2006, 14:08

Matt Gibbs wrote:Is Wikpedia heralded as some kind of untouchable image source nowadays?

Just asking because there HAS been legal action threatened against them for misuse of images, I am sure I have read about that in the news?

Just because an image appears on the web "somewhere" doesn't make its presence legal.

Much of the information I have provided to people and sent images to now appears on other websites without my permission, the sad fact about that is unless I keep thousands and thousands of emails and reciepts how can I prove it, thats why sadly I have stopped sharing a lot of my stuff.

Regards
Matt Gibbs
Matt,

Yes - you are right about this. In fact, the colour photograph of Heinrich Himmler taken by Walter Frentz (which we have discussed already this week re:copyright) can be found on the biography page of the Reichsfuhrer-SS. The photograph tag states that it is free of copyright and has been released into the public domain. We know of course this is complete nonsense, but it's easy to see how people (myself included) can read this disclaimer and believe it to be fact.

Best regards,

David

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 21 Apr 2006, 14:41

Potsdamerplatz wrote:In fact, the colour photograph of Heinrich Himmler taken by Walter Frentz (which we have discussed already this week re:copyright) can be found on the biography page of the Reichsfuhrer-SS. The photograph tag states that it is free of copyright and has been released into the public domain. We know of course this is complete nonsense, but it's easy to see how people (myself included) can read this disclaimer and believe it to be fact.
I checked Wikipedia and the color image has the below copyright information, has it just been changed?
This image has an unknown copyright status. Unless the copyright status is provided and a source is given, the image will be deleted.
/Marcus

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”