German Abwehr 1943-45

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Leibhusar

German Abwehr 1943-45

Post by Leibhusar » 27 Apr 2006, 08:00

Hello,
Maybe it is possible that you have more information about the German Abwehr.

The problem in finding information is: Even today everything seems to be Top Secret. So I have many more information about my Greatgrandfahters from WW I 1914-1918 than from my Grandfather. So I wrote to many official German Authorities like the WaST (Wermachtsauskunftstelle), Red Cross and many more and I received the following information about some units in which he served:

1. Drafted in Muenster in May 1941

2. Luftnachrichtenkompanie im Flughafenbereich Thorn/Graudenz (Summer 1941)

3. OKW, Abwehrabteilung I, Berlin Stahnsdorf (January – July 1942)

4. Abwehrbefehlsstab Walli in Sulejowek/Warschau (August 1942 – end of April 1943)
Fieldpostnumber: 06100 B

5. Panzerarmeeoberkommando 1 (Pz.AOK 1), (ca. 06.June-July 1943). Area of Slawyansk, Fieldpostnumber: 00723 E

6. Abwehr-Kommando 101 (ca. August 1943)
Fieldpostnumber: 57278

7. Abwehr-Kommando 305 beim Stab Heeresgruppe Sued (September 1943)
Fieldpostnumber: 48236

8. Funkleiter Ost bei Dienststelle Baun ueber Kurierstelle Oberkommando des Heeres (end of September 1943)

9. Abwehrtrupp 323 bei Panzerarmeeoberkommando 4 (Pz.AOK 4),. Area of Olesko, Lemberg (Lviv), Wisloboki (short village near by Lviv) (ca. April 1944)

The first time is quite good documented, but from the year 1943, when he was shifted to the Ostfront, there ar only few information.
Does anybody has further information about the following units like places, Kosaken in the Abwehr and maybe more?

1. Abwehr Kommando 101 in August 1943
2. Abwehrkommando 305 beim Stab HG Sued in September 1943
3. Funkleiter Ost bei Dienststelle Major Baun ueber Kurierstelle Oberkommando des Heeres at the end of September 1943. (Maybe he was still at Stab HG Sued, as Funkleiter Ost???????????)
4. Abwehrtrupp 323 bei PzAOK 4 April 1944 till the end of war?????

Can someone help me??????

Greetings

shortguy54

Post by shortguy54 » 08 May 2006, 17:47

I can only give you some general information:

The Abwehr consisted of three major divisions:
I Military intelligence collection
II Special operations
III Counterintelligence

In midwar, after the Abwehr had for the most part been taken over by the SE, Abwehr units in the Field were redesignated "Frontaufklärung" units and received number in the 100s, 200s, and 300s, depending on what Abwehr funktion (I, II, or III) they had.

From top to bottom, there were Frontnachrichtenleitstellen (also known as Walli) I, II and III (theater level); then Frontaufklärungskommandos I, II, and III (Army Group level); then Fronbtaufklärungstrupps I, II, and III (at army level). Your Grandfather seems to have been assigned as a radiomanto the OKW, Intelligence Division until July 42, then to (probably) Walli I, then to an intellgence detachment with Panzer Army 1 on the Eastern Front, then to Kommando 101 (also with 1st Panzer Army?). He then moved over to the Counterintelligence biz with Army Group South and, later, 4th Panzer Army.

What Dienststelle Braun was, I haven't the foggiest.

If your Grandfather's records are still extant, you can get a copy from the Auskunftstelle Kornelimünster. This is a branch office of the German Federal Archives that holds all of the WWII-era personnel records. You can find them in the Net.

Hope this helps

Paul Barnett

Geheime Feldpolizei

Baun and Abwehrtruppen

Post by Geheime Feldpolizei » 06 Oct 2007, 20:20

You may wish to check out the book "The General Was A Spy," by Heinz Hoehne and Hermann Zolling. Zolling was an intelligence officer with the Wehrmacht during the war. The book gives some details of the Gehlen-Baun-Schmalschlager wartime and postwar connections. I believe Baun's wartime career is covered in some detail. Also there is some information on the workings of Walli I, II, III.

As far as research on Abwehrtruppen assigned to PzAOK 4 during the war, if you have already checked with WASt concerning Erkennungsmarkenverzeichnisse for this unit and time period, then I would also check with Bundesarchiv-Militaerarchiv in Freiburg. There were some activity reports (Taetigkeitsberichten) for Abwehrkommandos and their subordinate Abwehrtruppen among the "captured German records" microfilmed in the US after the war. These records have now been returned to the German government and can be found at Freiburg. Unless German archivists have rearranged the records, the unit documents you seek will likely be with the PzAOK 4 (AOK-level) records or with the records of Army Group South.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”