Any book about German POW in Soviet Union?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Guñelfe

Any book about German POW in Soviet Union?

Post by Guñelfe » 04 Jul 2006, 03:33

Does anybody knows about books that explain the life of the German POW in Siberia?

Does any of those 5 or 6000 that return to their homeland from captivity wrote about their experience in hands of the DCA, the Soviet Union?

Why we read about the suffering of the homosexuals, gipsies, jews, and others and nothing about the German POW?

Thanks gentlemen.

Rand

Post by Rand » 04 Jul 2006, 04:23

Why we read about the suffering of the homosexuals, gipsies, jews, and others and nothing about the German POW?
8O 8O 8O 8O

Try "Hitler's Bastard" by Eric Pleasants or "All Quiet on the Eastern Front" by Kurt Stock

Marcus

Re: ANY BOOK ABOUT GERMAN POW IN SOVIET UNION?

Post by Marcus » 04 Jul 2006, 17:57

Guñelfe wrote:nothing about the German POW?
There are a lot of books available on the experiences of the German POWs, see for example the titles at http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5037

/Marcus

Guñelfe

Post by Guñelfe » 05 Jul 2006, 17:18

Gracias Rand y Marcus.

But my question is about all those, for example, soldiers that where caught by the Soviet Union in Stalingrad. From the 150.000 prisoners, only 5.000 arrived back to their country in 1955. So where are the other 145.000 prisoners? Nobody cares about their destiny? Why historians are so hypocrites and say nothing about happenings to which they are accomplices?

I recognize that I admire the German cultures and accept it with its lights and shadows, but I don`t like those guys that discuss so much about German strategy, tactic; german uniforms, the buttons and the weapons. People that looking picture recognize this or that soldier but never say any single word about what they suffer in allies prison or concentration camps.

Marcus, your book list is a good example about what I'm talking about: German prisoners in Florida, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, New England and Texas. That's all. And what happend with those one in the former Soviet Union? There are no papers, no Hystory of those men tested 100 times in real combat? Are just ghost in History?

The time will came in which people will critize historian that wrote according their own interest and never about the truth.

Ghost of History

Numbers with no history

picts taken from http://katardat.org/marxuniv/2002-SUWW2 ... ngrad.html

Just found this:

At the end of the war in May of 1945 ca. 3.3 million German soldiers were in Soviet prisoner-of-war camps, mostly in Siberia. These men suffered a grim fate. Many die from the hard forced labour and the adverse conditions of survival which they endure – the constant struggle against hunger, cold , disease and uncertainty.

© Lehmann
Only few of them will survive the murderous russian winter - German prisoners-of-war in Stalingrad at -8°F

http://www.willy-brandt.org/bwbs_biogra ... B1486.html

Gracias again and I will continue with my search of those forgotten soldiers.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 05 Jul 2006, 17:36

Guñelfe wrote:And what happend with those one in the former Soviet Union? There are no papers, no Hystory of those men tested 100 times in real combat? Are just ghost in History?
Those were a number of books on that topic of German POWs to help you get started, here are a few others, these all deal with the POW in the USSR:

"Red Cage" by Gerborg Frick
"Davai, Davai!: Memoir of a German Prisoner of World War II in the Soviet Union" by A. D. Hans Schuetz
"Soviet indoctrination of German war prisoners, 1941-1956" by Wilfred Olaf Reiners
"Stalins Kriegsgefangene: Ihr Schicksal in Erinnerungen und nach russischen Archiven" by Erwin Peter and AleXander E. Epifanow
"Vom Sonnenwald nach Sibirien: 6 Jahre Gefangenschaft in Stalins Sowjetunion" by Alois Seidl
"Georgisches Tagebuch. Fünf Jahre kriegsgefangen im Kaukasus" by Wend Graf von Kalnein
"Bilder aus russischer Kriegsgefangenschaft" by Klaus Sasse

/Marcus

Lasse

Post by Lasse » 05 Jul 2006, 21:12

Also Alfred Novotny writes some about his life as a POW in russia in his book "The good Soldier".

HaEn
In memoriam

POW

Post by HaEn » 06 Jul 2006, 02:15

I think (first time for anything) :D ,that I know what Gunelfe means.
All the other POW's do indeed get more coverage and "discussions" than those who perished in Soviet Camps.
Notice I did NOT say Russian camps ? It was the regime, not the people, that did this to them, lead by a psychopath; and as with all other regimes in the world, there were thousands willing to do the dirty work for their crazy leaders.
I am very religeous, but sometimes wonder why "HE" does not push the 'SMYTHE" buttom on his universe computer, and put an end to all of this. :(
As a species we sure have not come very far above the ape yet. :oops: :(
Oh well.
HN

Guñelfe

Post by Guñelfe » 06 Jul 2006, 03:52

Gracias again Marcus and Lasse.

I agree with you HaEn "it was the regime, not the people" so this have nothing to do with russian people. Unfortunately people use to mix propaganda and reality.

Kameraden

Post by Kameraden » 18 Jul 2006, 15:50

Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck has got several chapters on his Captivity by the Soviets after the War.
ISBN 0304364010

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 18 Jul 2006, 22:38

Like to suggest Franz Sapp book

"Gefangen in Stalingrad" 1943-1946

kordts

Post by kordts » 20 Jul 2006, 06:42

Gunelfe,
a possible reason could be that the general book buying public doesn't have much interest/sympathy in the plight of German POWs. I have an interest in German which was started by my interest in American POWs. As these posters pointed out, there are many books from the German point of view. You just have to ferret them out. It helps if you read German, because there are more German books that didn't sell enough to warrant a translation than English versions. I would like to learn more about the Russian/Soviet prisoners who had the terrible luck to get bagged by the Germans. There probably aren't many books from their side, even fewer translated into English. Just because I don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, most German soldiers are seen as Nazis at worst or at best as flunkies whose fighting for the nazis enabled the Final Solution. That translates into a weak market for that sort of memoir.

Radar

POW

Post by Radar » 22 Jul 2006, 10:01

I just found a link to the book under the mentioned link:

"Kriegsgefangene - Guten Morgen!"
"WOIENNO PLENNI - sdrasdwuitje!"

http://www.cimm.de/index.htm

Radar

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 22 Jul 2006, 11:10

Epifanow, Alexander / Mayer, Hein:
Die Tragödie der deutschen Kriegsgefangenen in Stalingrad von 1942 bis 1956. Unter Verwendung von bisher unbekannten russischen Original-Archivunterlagen, Fotos, Gräberfunden, Namenslisten und Skizzen. Mit einer Einleitung von Prof. Dr. Eberhard Becker.
333 Seiten mit zahlreichen Abbildungen. DIN A 4. Osnabrück 1996. Kart.
Look at: http://www.militaria-biblio.de/OutChapt ... toren.html

D. Zinke

Larso

Post by Larso » 13 Jan 2007, 02:28

'Devil on my Shoulder', but I can't remember the name of the author. I think it was published in the 50s. The author was with 13th Pz before being captured. From memory, the authors experiences in a mining camp, were more about boredom that harsh treatment. In fact for kicks he used to see how much he could exceed his 'quota' by. Once he mined 4 times what he was required to. The Russians thought he was mad.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”