SS-Regiment 'Falke'

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Mikedc

SS-Regiment 'Falke'

Post by Mikedc » 13 Dec 2006, 01:43

Who can tell me a bit more about this Regiment???

I've seen it under the name SS-Regiment 'Falke', under the name SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 'Falke' and under the name SS-Kampfgruppe 'Falke'. But I couldn't really find any additional info about this unit.
And can somebody tell me a bit about it's officers???? Who were members of the Staff from this unit???

Thanks,
Mike

panzerschreck

Post by panzerschreck » 13 Dec 2006, 16:25

SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Regiment 87 "Falke" is what I have got. Seems reasonable as the 32. SS-div was a volunteer grenadier division.

Officers I've got in my list is Anhalt and Herbert Vollmer.

But I've also discovered that some call this regiment (the 87th) "Kurmark". Anyone who can clear this up?

/Henrik

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 13 Dec 2006, 21:24

Hello Henrik,

SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Regiment 87 was called 'Kurmark' with indeed Anhalt and Vollmer being it's commanders.

But SS-Regiment 'Falke' or SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 'Falke' or SS-Kampfgruppe 'Falke' should have been under command from SS-Hstuf Paul Falke as far as I could figure out.
And this regiment had three battalions:
laut dieser Quelle wurde "Falke" gebildet aus:
I./Falke - aus Pz.Gren.AuE 16 "RFSS"
II./Falke - aus Pz.Gren.AuE 3 "Totenkopf"
III./Falke - aus Pz.Gren.AuE 1 "LSSAH"

And here's link to eBay where they sell a book that's dealing with this topic, but the price is way to high. On Panzer-Archiv.de somebody bought this book in a bookshop for 10 Euro and here on eBay they try to sell it for 50 Euro.
http://search.stores.ebay.de/regiment_G ... Z1QQsofpZ4

So there are some things to find through Google about this regiment but not precisly what I'm looking for, not a real explanation with other words.

Greetings,
Mike

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 14 Dec 2006, 00:11

According to Tessin (volume XIV and XVII):
SS-Panzergrenadier-Rgt. Falke,
1945 Oderfront, Berlin
* February 1945 out of SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb. und Ers.Btl. 1 der LSSAH (?)
fighting (Oderfront) under V. SS-Korps (AOK 9), manifestly not subordinated

The Rekrutendepot of the SS-Truppenübungsplatz Kurmark (Mark Brandenburg) established on 30.01.1945 the 32. SS-Freiw.Gren.Div. "30. Januar", but especially the Gren.Rgt. "Kurmark"(also destinated as Freiw.Rgt. 32 and later also as SS-Freiw.Gren.Rgt. 87)

Dieter Z.

Atze

Post by Atze » 14 Dec 2006, 20:09

that´s for explanation :

"Kampfgruppe" means Taskforce. A force, built an mixed up eather for special purposes (delaying actions, attack e.g.) or because of special circumstances (emergency defensive actions).

Usually Kampfgruppen are only (!) temporaly mixed forces and may contain a bright mixture of troops (infantry, tanks, engineers and so on, whatever ist NEEDED or DISPOSIBLE), but under several circumstances it may become a standing force.

That´s probably why there are so many different names for it. As you will habe noticed, this unit was displaced at the end of the war, where remaining (surviving) elements of Waffen-SS Units were thrown together... and that´s what Falke (and , by the way, FUCHSBAU) is.

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 26 Dec 2006, 02:10

My only source on "Falke" is Richard Landwehr's booklet "V. SS-Geb.Korps and 32. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "30 Januar" on the Oder Front, 1945" and I'm unsure of his sources (I suspect they are Tieke's publications). One page 16, Landwehr mentions that Regiment Falke was formed in January 1945 at Bad Saarow, and had three battalions. The I. was based partially on the Begleit Bataillon RFSS (I assume this means that Landwehr's source material had confusion between the reformed Begleit Bataillon RFSS and the SS-PGAuEBtl. 16 that you mention). The II. was based on SS-PG AuE Btl. 3, from Guben. The III. was based on SS-PG AuE Btl. 1, from Spreenhagen.

The regimental commander is given as SS-Obstubaf. Rosenbusch "from the SS Main Office." (SS-HA, or SS-FHA?) In action, the II. Bataillon was said to have retreated north of Berlin, while the other two retreated to the south of the city, and merged with "makeshift units" (presumably in the Halbe Kessel). This was after spending March 1945 subordinated to the 32. SS-FGD. The original mission of Falke was supposed to have been "to protect the Waffen-SS Main Leadership Office" (the SS-FHA, I assume), but then it had been sent to 9. Armee on the Oder Front for emergency service. The battalions only received heavy weapons companies in April 1945, just before the Soviet Berlin Offensive.

Again, all of this is from the booklet, I have no way of checking the information, though I did add my best guesses in parentheses in the above summary. I hope it is of some use!

Jerryjock

Post by Jerryjock » 03 Jun 2007, 19:19

my name is erwin bartmann ex member of leibstandarte ss adolf hitler.i was in 1944 a instructor in spreenhagen near berlin i was a sargent for smg .1945 in februar we was renamed ss reg. falke.on the 17.of april1945 we was trancfared to lichtenbergmear frankfurt/oder. if you ar intrestet in the story of falke please get in conntact with me.i am a member of the forum but if i reply my passwort get rejected.ol the best and i hope i will hear from you.erwin bartmann

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 04 Jun 2007, 06:53

Thanks for speaking up, Mr. Bartmann! I've seen you quoted in various books by LeTissier and Williamson. I appreciate your willingness to discuss the past to help educate people today.

Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang » 08 Jun 2007, 13:21

In fact, III./"Falke" was formed from SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.-Ers.Btl.1 "Spreenhagen". SS-Ustuf. Blond (Chef 12.Kp.) won the coveted Ritterkreuz for actions at the head of this company.

Kameraden

Post by Kameraden » 12 Jun 2007, 12:18

Hello Erwin.

Long time since i heard from you.
I hope you are in good health.

Best wishes.

Dave

PATRICK CHARRON

Re: SS-Regiment 'Falke'

Post by PATRICK CHARRON » 18 Jul 2009, 20:09

Hi,

It would be interesting to try to complete the history of the Falke regiment that remains mysterious as for its command structure as its composition and that is often confounded with the SS-Regiment 87 "Kurmark"
I noted this quote page 84 in the book of Thomas Fischer" Soldiers of the Leibstandarte" JJ Fedorowicz 2008
One could deduct that Conrad DENECKE led one of the battalions of the Falke regiment.
Could it be the III/Falke?

Quote:
Conrad Denecke German Cross in Gold
"He assembled a Kampfgruppe at the replacement batallion in Spreenhagen in 1945, consisting of five companies. He then reported with it to the 32. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "30 Januar". As a result of the fighting in April 1945, he wound up in the Halbe Pocket. During the breakout attempt at Teupitz he was wounded badly once again, this time in the head, while mounted on a Tiger and with the lead elements".

Footnote (part) "Regiment “Falke” consisting of companies from the Leibstandarte's replacement and training batallion at Spreenhagen"

The only sources I know about Falke are:
"Endkampf zwischen Oder und Elbe" by Tieke
Booklet N° 5 1983 Richard Landwehr
32. SS-Division "30. Januar" by Rolf Michaelis

Does someone have something else?

The links below are about the Regiment Falke

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 45&start=0
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=112808

Regards
Patrick

don_kihotis7

Post by don_kihotis7 » 08 Apr 2014, 13:55

Interesting topic. Thanks to all who have contributed on this unit.
I have a relic Erkennungsmarke in my collection from regiment Falke.
Attachments
IMG_0661.JPG

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 25 Jan 2016, 18:43

Das Regiment Falke": Kampf bis in den Untergang im April/Mai 1945 by Gerhard Strauchwald was published on 24th June 2015 by Nation & Wissen Verlag. It is available for 18.50 Euros from Amazon.de.

don_kihotis7

Post by don_kihotis7 » 25 Jan 2016, 19:06

Thanks for the info

Ljotrulf

Post by Ljotrulf » 29 Jan 2016, 17:01

No problem. Not sure if the book is any good but at 18.50 Euros it is worth taking a chance. As far as I know the only books written by veterans of SS-Regiment Falke are "Erinnerungen 1945 an Falke" by Helmut Seifert and "Für Volk and Führer: The Memoir of a Veteran of the 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" by Erwin Bartmann.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”