12th SS armoured call sign colour help needed

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tanseel

Re: 12th SS armoured call sign help needed

Post by Tanseel » 03 Dec 2008, 08:56

Thanks for the link ste.
There's no source given for the chart, but I think it is based only on photographic evidence and some inference.
(e.g. Since there exists picture of 837 it is assumed vehicle #815 - 839 exists)
Anyway thanks again for the link :D

charles.sumpter

Re: 12th SS armoured call sign colour help needed

Post by charles.sumpter » 26 Apr 2015, 08:11

The SS-Pz.Regiment LAH used the X04, X05 for the company troop, and XX5, XX6, XX7, XX8, XX9 numbering system for its tanks (Xs being company and platoon numbers). LAH as the parent unit for SS-Pz.Rgt. 12, it would follow that HJ would use the LAH system. Interestingly the LAH dropped this and returned to the original (1939 'standard') numbering for its tanks, while the HJ went another step using: the numbers '5, 6, 7' for the 1st, 2d and 3d platoons, respectfully, continuing with the 5,6,7,8,9 for the individual tank numbers for the Ardennes offensive. I believe this was done so that all tanks could be immediately identified in the I. SS-Pz.Korps (LAH, HJ). Differentation in numbering the tanks was done between the tanks of the II. SS-Pz.Korps (LAH, DR, T)when it was formed. Examining the many fotos (seems to have been a very 'photogenic' unit) it becomes almost easy to descern the division affliations

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”