Panzer-Division Kurmark

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Martin Block

Post by Martin Block » 24 Jan 2008, 20:00

Hope you guys don't mind me interrupting and focus on some 'technical' aspects about Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark:

@ Alain

Regarding the 'Gliederung' of Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark I'm afraid I have to tell you that your interpretation of the document you most probably are refering to is incorrect!

a.) It's not an 'Ist-Gliederung' but a 'Soll-Gliederung' as stated in the top left corner of the document. It was prepared on 12.3.1945 as the small date in the bottom left corner shows.

b.) The tactical symbols in the Stabskp./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark show that it was to be equipped with wheeled recce cars and reinforced by a signals platoon on half tracks.
I do not exactly know what K.St.N. was planned for the company but weapon symbols for 7 - 2cm and 7 - 7,5cm guns almost fit to K.St.N. 1109(gp)(fG) v. 1.11.1944 which called for 8 Sd.Kfz. 234/1 and 7 Sd.Kfz. 234/3, but definitely no Sd.Kfz. 250/8 and 250/9.
Actually 8 schwere Pz.Späh-Wagen of unspecified variants had already been shipped to 'Kurmark' on 2.2.1945 and reported as arrived on 5.2.1945.
I do not know what K.St.N. was planned for the Nachr.Zug but at best it should have had some Sd.Kfz. 251/3 and maybe /11.

c) I do agree with you on the authorized equipment for the 1./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark although it is shown wheeled and not half-tracked. The weapons are given as 16 2cm guns and 25 machine guns which exactly fitts to K.St.N. 1162 c which called for 16 Sd.Kfz. 250/9 and 9 Sd.Kfz. 250/5.

d.) I do not agree with you on the equipment of the 2./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark. The tactical symbol and the number of weapons shown in the document (3+30 machine guns, 2 medium mortars, 2 - 7,5cm guns, 7 - 2cm guns) fit exactly to the K.St.N. 1114c(gp)(fG) which was authorized 10 Sd.Kfz. 251/1, 2 - 251/2, 2 - 251/3, 2 - 251/9 an 7 - 251/17.
The tactical symbol used for the Sd.Kfz. 250 equipped le.Pz.Aufkl.Kp.(gp) in accordance with K.St.N. 1113(gp)(fG) is usually shorter and shows weapon symbols for 44 machine guns, 2 mortars, and 2 - 7,5cm guns.
Initially all SPW for 'Kurmark' seem to have come from the inventory of Pz.Gren.Ers.Brig. GD. I could not yet establish exact figures and variants. Delivery records do only show a later shipment of 13 Sd.Kfz. 251 of unspecified variants to 'Kurmark' on 14.4.1945.

Apart from the above discussed 'Soll-Gliederung' a 'Ist-Gliederung' dated 1.3.1945 has also survived in the BA/MA. It shows Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark as follows:

The Stabskp. shows the symbol for wheeled recce cars and weapon symbols for 15 machine guns and 3 - 2cm guns. If the above mentioned delivery of 8 s.Pz.Späh-Wagen were indeed vehicles from the Sd.Kfz. 234 series I would conclude there were still 3 Sd.Kfz. 234/1 available. There could also have been some machine gun armed older 4-wheelers in the company - perhaps from the 'GD' inventory - but that is just speculation on my part. The signals platoon can also be seen, but there is no half track symbol visible so it actually was motorized only.

The 1./Pz.A.A. 151 is shown as half tracked Pz.Späh-Kp. with 14 machine guns and 5 - 2 cm guns. For me that indicates at least the presence of 5 Sd.Kfz. 250/9. If any 250/5 or 250/3 were also present can again only be guessed.

The 2./Pz.A.A. 151 is shown as half tracked Pz.Aufkl.Kp. with 2+24 machine guns, 4 medium mortars, 5 - 7,5cm guns. There also is a weapon symbol for a 5 cm gun (or is it the letter 'S'?) but there is no clear figure beneath it - at least I can' make out if it is one or just some sort of 'scratch'. As for me is impossible to tell exactly what types of half track those weapons were mounted on. They could have been Sd.Kfz. 251 or 250 variants only or a mix of both, I don't know.

There also exists a 'Ist-Gliederung' as of 29.3.1945 but my copy is so bad that I can just make out that the Abteilung still existed in the same OoB but it's impossible to see for sure any details.

Sorry for the teacher like behavior :wink:

Martin Block
Last edited by Martin Block on 24 Jan 2008, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Gotrick

Post by Gotrick » 24 Jan 2008, 20:09

No problem at all, thank you very much for the information :)

Martin Block

Post by Martin Block » 24 Jan 2008, 20:25

And while being at playing the teacher I would like to point out that the formation order OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt. Nr. I/650/45 g.Kdos. v. 30.1.1945 clearly states Pz.Gren.Div. Kurmark was to be formed in accordance with K.St.N. valid for Pz.Gren.Div. 44 with Pz.Gren.Btl. 45. It was never renamed to Pz.Div. although some post war sources claim otherwise. Not the slightest evidence for any official renaming can be found in survivig records of OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt. and OKH/ObdE/AHA which are largely intact until late April 1945.

Martin Block

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 24 Jan 2008, 20:26

If you start collecting something, in this case EKM, and you post something like this: ........ because its officialy still German Goverment property.. well and fuck that........
You either are thinking on the same level wargrave-diggers from eastern-europe are, or you just don't know what you are talking about. If the first is the case c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d and c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d, but that's just my opinion. If the 2nd is the case I wonder why you started collecting "dogtags" anyway. We do have 3 kinds of EKM now-a-days. The fakes, the "normal"-ones and the battlefield-finds. The last is what upset's most people, because in 99,999999999 % of the time those come from fieldgraves or sort a like. The moment they are taken from the spot, a German family is sure they will never ever have a grave to visit their relative. If ever found it will be dumped in a "Unknown" massgrave. With over 1.000.000 Germans still missing, maybe you get the picture.
Collecting field-found EKM's won't make you "populair". And than stating that you would love to have info on the unit but don't give a f*ck about the soldiers fait because it over 60 years ago.........

But then again, you might want to start here http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=23 and ask someone called mr. dogtag if your EKM is real or fake. And do a search you'll see the discussion I had with him and maybe understand what some think and why, about field-finds.

Gotrick

Post by Gotrick » 24 Jan 2008, 20:27

Oke, thanks again, now i'm sure its a Pz-gr Div. and not Pz. :wink:

Gotrick

Post by Gotrick » 24 Jan 2008, 20:32

Ypenburg wrote:If you start collecting something, in this case EKM, and you post something like this: ........ because its officialy still German Goverment property.. well and fuck that........
You either are thinking on the same level wargrave-diggers from eastern-europe are, or you just don't know what you are talking about. If the first is the case c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d and c-e-n-s-o-r-e-d, but that's just my opinion. If the 2nd is the case I wonder why you started collecting "dogtags" anyway. We do have 3 kinds of EKM now-a-days. The fakes, the "normal"-ones and the battlefield-finds. The last is what upset's most people, because in 99,999999999 % of the time those come from fieldgraves or sort a like. The moment they are taken from the spot, a German family is sure they will never ever have a grave to visit their relative. If ever found it will be dumped in a "Unknown" massgrave. With over 1.000.000 Germans still missing, maybe you get the picture.
Collecting field-found EKM's won't make you "populair". And than stating that you would love to have info on the unit but don't give a f*ck about the soldiers fait because it over 60 years ago.........

But then again, you might want to start here http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=23 and ask someone called mr. dogtag if your EKM is real or fake. And do a search you'll see the discussion I had with him and maybe understand what some think and why, about field-finds.
Well i do care about a soldiers fate, i mean i don't care that its German property.
Second, i do not collect EKM's, this is my first one.
Third, allot is robbed from dead, helmets, medals, etc. and that gets collected.. i do not see a difference between a ground-dug item robbed from a dead or a nice looking medal robbed from a dead, both are not nice!! and i can't prove that its from a dead soldier or not.
But again, i care about the soldier, but not that its German goverment property.

Gotrick

Post by Gotrick » 24 Jan 2008, 20:38

I bought it in the first place for a late war set up i'm making (uniform, equipment etc.).
I wanted to have a late war EKM, and now that i have it i become intrested in the unit, because not much is known about it.

Alain Verwicht

Post by Alain Verwicht » 24 Jan 2008, 21:15

Hallo Gotrick
Tut mir leid, spreche ich nicht höllandisch...
Vielleicht deutsch...
Was wollst du genau ? :)

Gotrick

Post by Gotrick » 24 Jan 2008, 21:30

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut
my German is not so good :wink:

I got most information that i needed, i only want some good books about the unit to read.
I already orderd the book from Horst Scheibert: Panzer Grenadier - Grossdeutschland.
In it is also stuff about Kurmark.

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 24 Jan 2008, 21:30

Gliederung "Panzergrenadier-Division 44" gemäß OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt.Nr.I/18800/43 g.Kdos. vom 20.08.1944

Divisionsstab mit Div.Kartenstelle (mot.), Feldgendarmerietrupp (mot.)

- Grenadier-Regiment 1 (mot.) zu je: Stab, Stabskp.

-- I.Grenadier-Bataillon (mot.) zu je: Stab, Versorg.Kp.

--- 1.-3.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 4.schw.Kp.(mot.)

-- II.Grenadier-Bataillon (mot.) zu je: Stab, Versorg.Kp.

--- 5.-7.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 8.schw.Kp.(mot.)

--- 9.-11.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 12.schw.Kp.(mot.)

-- Regimentseinheiten

--- 13.schw.Inf.Gesch.Kp.(mot.Z.)

--- 14.Pi.Kp.(mot.)

- Grenadier-Regiment 2 (mot.) zu je: Stab, Stabskp.

--- 1.-3.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 4.schw.Kp.(mot.)

-- II.Grenadier-Bataillon (mot.) zu je: Stab, Versorg.Kp.

--- 5.-7.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 8.schw.Kp.(mot.)

--- 9.-11.Gren.Kp.(mot.)

--- 12.schw.Kp.(mot.)

-- Regimentseinheiten

--- 13.schw.Inf.Gesch.Kp.(mot.Z.)

--- 14.Pi.Kp.(mot.)

- Panzer-Abteilung (Stug) zu je: Stab, Stabskp.

-- 1.-3.Stug.Kp.

-- Pz.Werkst.Zg.

-- Versorg.Kp.

- Panzer-Aufklärung-Abteilung zu je: Stab, Stabskp.

-- 1.-3.Pz.Aufkl.Kp.(VW)

-- 4.schw.Kp.(mot.) mit Pi.Zg.und m.Gr.Werf.Zg.

-- Versorg.Kp.

- Pz.Jg.Abt.(Sfl.) zu je: Stab, Stabskp.

-- 1.,2.Stug.Kp.

-- 3.(mot.Z.).Kp.

-- Versorg.Kp.

- Artillerie-Regiment zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabs-Bttr.(mot.)

-- I.Art.Abt.(mot.Z.) zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabs-Bttr.(mot.), Fla-Zg., 1.-3.(le.F.H.) Bttr.(mot.)

-- II.Art.Abt.(mot.Z.) zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabs-Bttr.(mot.), Fla-Zg., 4.-6.(le.F.H.) Bttr.(mot.)

-- III.Art.Abt.(mot.Z.) zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabs-Bttr.(mot.), Fla-Zg., 7.(10 cm Kan.) Bttr., 8.,9.(schw.F.H.) Bttr.

- Heeres-Flakart.Abteilung zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabs-Bttr.(mot.)

-- 1.,2.schw.Bttr.(mot.Z.)

-- 3.le.Flak.Bttr.(mot.Z.)

-- Scheinwerfer-Staffel

- Divisions-Einheiten:

-- Div.Nachschubtruppen (mot.) zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabskp.(mot.), 4 Kraftf.Kp.120 t, 1 Waffen-Inst.Kp.(mot.)

-- Pionier-Bataillon (mot.) zu je: Stab (mot.), Stabskp.(mot.), 1.-3.Pi.Kp.(mot.), le.Pz.Brücken-Kolonne

-- Nachrichtenabteilung (mot.) zu je: Stab (mot.), 1.Fernsprech-Kp.(mot.), 2.Funk-Kp.(mot.), Versorg.Zg.

-- Pz.Gren.Felders.Bataillon zu je: Stab, 1.-4.Kp.

-- Kraftfahrpark-Truppen zu je: 2 Werkstatt-Kp., 1 Nachschub-Staffel für Ersatzteile 75 t

-- San.Abt.zu je: 2 San.Kp.(mot.) mit Entgift.Zg., 1 Krankenkraftwagen-Zg.

-- Verwaltungs-Abt. zu je: Stab, 1 Bäcker-Kp.(mot.), 1 Schlachterei-Kp, 1 Verwaltungs-Kp.(mot.)

-- Feldpostamt (mot.)

(Gemäß OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt.Nr.I/14155/44 g.Kdos.v.10.11.1944 wurden dann alle Gren.Reg.(mot.) in Pz.Gren.Reg.umbenannt.)

Jan

Alain Verwicht

Post by Alain Verwicht » 24 Jan 2008, 21:58

Sorry, the '' Kurmark '' was called Panzer-Grenadier-Division, but...

with the I. / '' Brandenburg '' armed with Panzer V '' Panther '' ( 28 Panzer V ) and 14 StuG. with the Panzerjäger-Abteilung ( Zustandsbericht 1. März 1945 ) :)

Alain
http://panzervoran.blogpost.com/

Martin Block

Post by Martin Block » 25 Jan 2008, 05:41

Strictly spoken the I./Pz.Rgt. 'Brandenburg' officially was never an integral part of Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark'- The Abteilung became tactically attached to the division by order of OKH/GenStdH/Op.Abt. (III) Nr. 1942/45 geh. v. 2.2.1945. The order specifically states that it was not to be incorporated into the division.

On 4.4.1945 Obkdo. H.Gr. Mitte asked for the return of the I./Pz.Rgt. 'Brandenburg' to Pz.Gren.Div. 'Brandenburg' but was notified on the next day by Op.Abt. that this was not possible at the moment and the Abteilung would remain with Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark' until further notice.

@Endzeit
Looks like you completely misunderstood something here. Pz.Gren.Div. 'Kurmark' was never ment to be organized as a Pz.Gren.Div. 44. It's just that the actual units for the division were to be formed in accordance with the K.St.N. valid for a Pz.Gren.Div. 44 with exception of the Pz.Gren. battalions.
C) Pz.Gren.Div. Kurmark

I.) Organisatorische Bestimmungen:

1.) Gliederung: Sondergliederung (folgt):
K.St.N.: wie Pz.Gren.Div. 44 mit Pz.Gren.Btl. 45 und gekürztem Lkw-Soll

2.) Zur Aufstellung stehen zur Verfügung:
a) Die aus Ers.Brig. G.D. aufgerufenen 'Gneisenau'-Einheiten in folgender Gliederung:

Brig.Stab mit Nachr.Kp.

Pz.Gren.Rgt. mit Stab u. Stabskp. u. 2 Pz.Gren.Btl.

1 Pz.Abt. mit 3 Kp. 38 t, 1 Kp. Pz. IV lg.

1 Aufkl.Schwadron (ohne Fahrzeuge)

1 Art.Abt. mit 3 le.Bttr. u. 1 gem.Fla-Kp.

1 Kfz.Inst.Zug

b) III./A.R. 184 (mot)

c) Weitere Teile nach Sonderbefehl

3.) Fehlende Versorgungstruppen stellt OKH/GenStdH/Gen.Qu. aud Anforderung ObdE.

OKH/GenStdH/Org.Abt. Nr. I/650/45 g.Kdos. v. 30.1.1945

Unterschrift
Martin Block

Alain Verwicht

Post by Alain Verwicht » 25 Jan 2008, 06:25

Hi Martin

Yes, of course...
The I. / '' Brandenburg '' was tactically rattached to the '' Kurmark '', like many germans units during the war...
I quote just the Gliederung.
Alain.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 09 Feb 2008, 12:00

Abschrift

Pz.GrenDiv. " Kurmark" .................................Div.Gef.Stand, den 8.2.45

Gefechtsbericht über den Einsatz der Pz.Gren.Div. "Kurmark" in der Zeit vom 30.1- 5.2.1945

Die im Laufe des 30.1.45 in Cottbus aus Teilen der Pz.Gren.Ers.Brg. "Grossdeutschland" aufgestellte Brigade Langkeit erreichte in der Nacht zum 31.1.45, teils im Landmarsch, teils im Bahnstransport über Frankfurt/ Oder ihren Versammlungsraum Reppen- Polenzig- Grossrade- Leissow- Gut Kunersdorf mit Auftrag, sich für einen Einsatz nach Osten oder Nordosten am 31.1.45 bereitzuhalten. II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. Oberstleutnant Klüver und eine Batterie mit Flak-Kampftrupps des ArtRgt., Major Hammrich, sichern den Versammlungsraum der Brigade nach Südosten, Osten und Nordosten. Die Brigade wird dem V.SS-Geb.Korps unterstellt. Ia der Brigade, Major Spaeter, nimmt noch am 30.1.45 Verbindung mit V.SS-Geb.Korps auf.

31.1.45 Da die Brigade am 31.1.45 noch nicht mit allen Teilen versammelt ist, wird Einsatz auf den 1.2.45 verschoben. Kommandeur der Brigade meldet sich beim V.SS-Geb.Korps zwecks Besprechung des Einsatzes.

1.2.45 Die Brigade erhält durch Führerbefehl den Namen Pz.Gren.Div. "Kurmark". Auf Befehl V.SS-Geb.Korps stellt sich die Div. in zwei Kampfgruppen noch in der Nacht zum Angriff auf Koritten- Spiegelberg bereit. Gepanzerte Kampfgruppe. Führer Major Hudl, (verst. Pz.Abt. "Kurmark", II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. "Kurmark", 1 le.FH-Batterie ) in Sternberg; Kgr. Oberstleutnant Klüver (Pz.Gren.Rgt. "Kurmark" ohne II.Btl., mit unterstellter Pi.Kp., 1 s.Pak-Kp. und Restteilen der Sturmgesch.Lehrbrigade) in Pinnow. Verst. Art.Abt. ohne 1 le.FH-Bttr. überwacht aus Stellungen Raum westlich Sternberg die Bereitstellung zum Angriff.

Gep.K.Gr. Hudl erhält den Auftrag, über Koritten- Spiegelberg zunächst nach Grünow vorzustoßen und Gegner zu vernichten. Nach Erreichen des ersten Angriffsziels Eindrehen nach Nordosten, um in Flanke des fdl. Versammlungsraums auf Schönow zu stossen. Kgr. Klüver über Grünow auf Neulagow.

Die Verbindungsaufnahme zum Korps-Gef.Std. während der Bereitstellung gelingt nicht, da er von feindlichen Panzerkräften und Infanterie in Kemnat noch während der Nacht eingeschlossen wird und sich kämpfend nach Westen durchschlagen muss. Der Div.Führer entschließt sich, die linke Flanke durch einen Stoß mit Teilen der Kgr. Hudl am Kemnat zu bereinigen und mit Masse gleichzeitig nach Osten in Waldstücken ostw. Koritten gemeldeten Panzerfeind anzugreifen. Es entwickelt sich ein harter Panzerkampf, bei welchem Erfolge aber auch Verluste eintreten und der nicht zu dem Erfolg- Vernichtung des Panzerfeindes und Durchstoss nach Osten- führt. Die in den Raum Zielenzig- Drossen und nach Süden auf Döbernitz und Reichswalde angesetzte Aufklärung stellt fest, dass Gegner beiderseits der Rollbahn Reppen- Kunersdorf vorgestossen ist.

Der Gegner versucht, im konzentrischen Angriff nach Sternberg einzudringen wird aber durch die Div. "Kurmark" und die Kgr. Müller (Ortsverteidigung Sternberg) abgewehrt.

Um 1530 Uhr erhält Div. "Kurmark" Befehl, sich nach Reppen abzusetzen und sich in Linie Graden- Kl. Lübbichow- beiderseits Reppen zur Verteidigung einzurichten. Das Aufbauen der Verteidigungslinie gelingt nicht, da Gegner bereits von Graden- Lübbichow auf Reppen vorstößt. Durch Spähtrupp wird festgestellt, dass Gegner mit starken Panzerkräften Ort Neu-Bischofsseee sperrt.

2.2.45 Gegner setzt Angriff auf Reppen, Drenzig, Neuendorf fort, führt neue Panzerkräfte über Kolow- Zolow auf Neu-Bischofssee und Kunersdorf nach und dringt durch Forst Reppen in Richtung Frankfurt mit starken Infanteriekräften vor. Feindliche Angriffe werden abgewehrt und 21 Feindpanzer abgeschossen.

Da die Div. "Kurmark" eingeschlossen ist und der Feinddruck sich immer mehr verstärkt, entschließt sich der Div.-Führer zu einem planmässigen Durchbruch nach Westen auf die Brückenkopfstellung Frankfurt/O. Kgr. Klüver mit unterstellter Pz.Abt. und Art.Rgt. bekommt den Auftrag, die Strasse Neu-Bischofssee- Frankfurt freizukämpfen, dann nach Norden und Süden abzuschirmen, um das Zurückfliessen der Kolonnen und Verbände zu ermöglichen. Kgr. Müller hat Befehl, Reppen solange zu halten, bis Durchbruch nach Westen gelungen ist und sich dann als Nachhut abschnittsweise nach Westen abzusetzen. Um 1530 Uhr beginnt der Angriff bei Neu-Bischofssee. Es gelingt, den Ort gegen sich zäh verteidigenden Gegner durch Umfassung und unter Abschuss mehrerer Panzer zu nehmen. Der Angriff bleibt jedoch in den Waldstücken ostw. Kunersdorf liegen. Da die Waldstücke voll Panzer stehen, werden in der Nacht Panzer-Vernichtungstrupps eingesetzt, die mit gutem Erfolg arbeiten, außerdem Gefechtsaufklärung nach Norden, Osten und Süden angesetzt.

3.2.45 Der Div.-Führer befiehlt nach Aufbau einer starken Flankensicherung nach Norden mit Morgengrauen weiter entlang der Rollbahn nach Westen anzugreifen und mit einem Btl. Grenadiere durch den Wald nach Süden ausholend auf Kunersdorf durchzustossen. Laufende Angriffe von Nord und Süd werd abgewehrt, ein fdl. Panzerangriff aus Richtung Bischofssee zusammengeschossen. Der Durchbruch des südl. angesetzten Grenadier-Btls. gelingt Es wird sofort mit Teilen zur Verstärkung im Südteil des Brückenkopfes in Richtung Schwetig eingesetzt, mit Teilen beiderseits Kunersdorf.

Gruppe Klüver greift immer wieder den sich zäh verteidigenden Gegner im Waldgelände ostw. Kunersdorf an. Zahlreiche Panzer werden abgeschossen. Die eigenen Verluste sind ebenfalls groß 1130 Uhr gelingt es den Gegner zu werfen und die Rollbahn zu öffnen. Unter Abschirmung nach N und S und Abwehr zahlreicher Angriffe aus diesen Richtungen gelingt es, die gesamte Div. "Kurmark" mit unterstellten Kampfguppen, schweren Waffen und Flüchtlingskolonnen nach Frankfurt/O zu führen.

4.4.45 Um 0200 Uhr haben die letzten Teile der Nachhut Kunersdorf durchschritten.
Dem Gegner wurden während des Abwehr- und Durchbruchkampfes in der Zeit vom 1.2.- 3.2.45

73 Panzer
27 Pak
mehrere s.MG
24 mot. Fahrzeuge
1 Stalinorgel

vernichtet und hohe blutige Verluste beigebracht.

Das befehlsgemäss im Raum Kunersdorf zur Verteidigung eingesetzte II./Pz.Gren.Rgt. wehrt heftige Feindangriffe im Laufe der Nacht und am Morgen ab. Das Btl. wird durch eine le. FH-Bttr. und eine Pz.Jg.Kp. verstärkt. Die übrigen Teile sammeln in Frankfurt/O. Die I./Pz.Rgt, 26 wird der Div. "Kurmark" unterstellt.

Um 1030 Uhr erhält Div.-Führer vom V.SS-Geb.Korps den Auftrag, mit einer Kgr., bestehend aus I./Pz.Rgt. 26, I./Pz.Gren.Rgt. Kurmark, le. FH-Batterie Kurmark den Raum Podelzig zu erreichen und sich dort zur Bereinigung eines fdl. Brückenkopfes bei Reitwein und N davon bereitzuhalten.

.......................................gez. Langkeit

Jan-Hendrik

Alain Verwicht

Post by Alain Verwicht » 09 Feb 2008, 13:05

Martin Block wrote:Hope you guys don't mind me interrupting and focus on some 'technical' aspects about Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark:

@ Alain

Regarding the 'Gliederung' of Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark I'm afraid I have to tell you that your interpretation of the document you most probably are refering to is incorrect!

a.) It's not an 'Ist-Gliederung' but a 'Soll-Gliederung' as stated in the top left corner of the document. It was prepared on 12.3.1945 as the small date in the bottom left corner shows.

b.) The tactical symbols in the Stabskp./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark show that it was to be equipped with wheeled recce cars and reinforced by a signals platoon on half tracks.
I do not exactly know what K.St.N. was planned for the company but weapon symbols for 7 - 2cm and 7 - 7,5cm guns almost fit to K.St.N. 1109(gp)(fG) v. 1.11.1944 which called for 8 Sd.Kfz. 234/1 and 7 Sd.Kfz. 234/3, but definitely no Sd.Kfz. 250/8 and 250/9.
Actually 8 schwere Pz.Späh-Wagen of unspecified variants had already been shipped to 'Kurmark' on 2.2.1945 and reported as arrived on 5.2.1945.
I do not know what K.St.N. was planned for the Nachr.Zug but at best it should have had some Sd.Kfz. 251/3 and maybe /11.

c) I do agree with you on the authorized equipment for the 1./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark although it is shown wheeled and not half-tracked. The weapons are given as 16 2cm guns and 25 machine guns which exactly fitts to K.St.N. 1162 c which called for 16 Sd.Kfz. 250/9 and 9 Sd.Kfz. 250/5.

d.) I do not agree with you on the equipment of the 2./Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark. The tactical symbol and the number of weapons shown in the document (3+30 machine guns, 2 medium mortars, 2 - 7,5cm guns, 7 - 2cm guns) fit exactly to the K.St.N. 1114c(gp)(fG) which was authorized 10 Sd.Kfz. 251/1, 2 - 251/2, 2 - 251/3, 2 - 251/9 an 7 - 251/17.
The tactical symbol used for the Sd.Kfz. 250 equipped le.Pz.Aufkl.Kp.(gp) in accordance with K.St.N. 1113(gp)(fG) is usually shorter and shows weapon symbols for 44 machine guns, 2 mortars, and 2 - 7,5cm guns.
Initially all SPW for 'Kurmark' seem to have come from the inventory of Pz.Gren.Ers.Brig. GD. I could not yet establish exact figures and variants. Delivery records do only show a later shipment of 13 Sd.Kfz. 251 of unspecified variants to 'Kurmark' on 14.4.1945.

Apart from the above discussed 'Soll-Gliederung' a 'Ist-Gliederung' dated 1.3.1945 has also survived in the BA/MA. It shows Pz.A.A. 151/Kurmark as follows:

The Stabskp. shows the symbol for wheeled recce cars and weapon symbols for 15 machine guns and 3 - 2cm guns. If the above mentioned delivery of 8 s.Pz.Späh-Wagen were indeed vehicles from the Sd.Kfz. 234 series I would conclude there were still 3 Sd.Kfz. 234/1 available. There could also have been some machine gun armed older 4-wheelers in the company - perhaps from the 'GD' inventory - but that is just speculation on my part. The signals platoon can also be seen, but there is no half track symbol visible so it actually was motorized only.

The 1./Pz.A.A. 151 is shown as half tracked Pz.Späh-Kp. with 14 machine guns and 5 - 2 cm guns. For me that indicates at least the presence of 5 Sd.Kfz. 250/9. If any 250/5 or 250/3 were also present can again only be guessed.

The 2./Pz.A.A. 151 is shown as half tracked Pz.Aufkl.Kp. with 2+24 machine guns, 4 medium mortars, 5 - 7,5cm guns. There also is a weapon symbol for a 5 cm gun (or is it the letter 'S'?) but there is no clear figure beneath it - at least I can' make out if it is one or just some sort of 'scratch'. As for me is impossible to tell exactly what types of half track those weapons were mounted on. They could have been Sd.Kfz. 251 or 250 variants only or a mix of both, I don't know.

There also exists a 'Ist-Gliederung' as of 29.3.1945 but my copy is so bad that I can just make out that the Abteilung still existed in the same OoB but it's impossible to see for sure any details.

Sorry for the teacher like behavior :wink:

Martin Block
Hi Martin
Correct...
I have two Gliederungen for the 1st March 45...
My post was a description of the Soll-Gliederung :(
It's a mistake,sorry.
The Ist-Gliederung is evidently different and conform to your description.
Alain Verwicht

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”