Casualties of 45. Infanterie-Division - 1939

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Casualties of 45. Infanterie-Division - 1939

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 10 Jul 2008, 03:09

According to this internet site - which is not giving any sources for this claims:

http://www.feldgrau.com/InfDiv.php?ID=41
Total losses for the division in the Polish campaign were 158 dead, 360 wounded.
However, in fact only on 16th of September, the division lost 124 KIA (including 7 officers) and hundreds of wounded.

This is according to Władysław Steblik's "Army Cracow 1939" and according to ww2 day by day site.

Losses of Polish 21. Infantry Division in the battle of Oleszyce were 100 dead (including 65 - among them general Kustroń - in Dzików Stary area), 300 wounded, around 2300 - 2700 PoWs taken by German units (45th and 28th Infantry Divisions).

So what is the source of numbers given on feldgrau.com ??

Richard Hargreaves

Re: Casualties of 45. Infanterie-Division - 1939

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 13 Jul 2008, 11:09

I'm guessing the numbers on Feldgrau come from the divisional history wich states losses were (p.101)

158 dead, 360 wounded, and around 700 sick, mainly foot injuries caused by the marching.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 17 Jul 2008, 18:27

Are these - according to this book - losses suffered untill 13th of September or suffered untill what day?

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 20 Jul 2008, 21:45

These are for the entire campaign, so 1/9/39-5/10/39

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 10 Nov 2008, 12:57

These are for the entire campaign, so 1/9/39-5/10/39
Most probably these are only casualties from the battle of Oleszyce, not from the whole campaign. Similar mistake was commited here:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... er/IR3.htm

Quotation:

"Das Regiment hatte in Polen 39 Tote, 112 Verwundete und 4 Vermisste zu verzeichnen."

These are only casualties of this regiment from the battle of Grudziądz as can be seen below:

In the battle of Grudziądz (1. - 3. September):

Code: Select all

Unit                    Officers                       Privates and NCO's
                      KIA    WIA      MIA            KIA       WIA     MIA
IR. 3                -        6          1*)             39       106         4
IR 24               -        1           -               42       130         7
IR 45               1       10          -               30       110         2
PzAbwA 21        -         -         -                1         1           -
AR 21               -         2         -                2        30          -
I/AR 57            -         1         -                 -        -            - 
AA 21               1        -          -              15        26          4
Pi 21                -         2         -                 -        1           -
NA 21               -         2         -                 -        2           - 
Krad-Meldzg 21  -        -         -                 1         -           - 
Together            2        24        1           130(27)  406(61)   17
Apart from 21. Infanterie-Division, also 228. Infanterie-Division, 1. Aufklarungs Abteilung, I./10. Panzer-Regiment and Corps units of XXI Armee Korps participated in the battle of Grudziądz (1. - 3. September) on the German side.

In the battles at the river Narew (battle of Nowogród):

Unit            Officers                                  Privates and NCO's
                     KIA     WIA     MIA              KIA         WIA         MIA
IR. 3                1        1         -                 27           61             3
IR 24               -        -           -                15            26             -
IR 45               1       1          -                 41            82             2
AR 21              -         3         -                  1            17              -
AA 21               -        -          -                  2             5              2
Pi 21                1        -         -                 10            12             -
Together          3        5         -                96(16)   203(25)         7
In fightings after 12.09.39 (combats against Suwalska Cavalry Brigade):

KIA      WIA    MIA               KIA    WIA     MIA
                     -          -       -                  15      47        7
*) Oberleutnant Rithen, on 18.09 came back from the Polish captivity

The casualty list above is from the attachment to the divisional history book.

If I don't have any major doubts about reliability of numbers from the battle of Grudziądz, then I have serious doubts about reliability of numbers from the battle of Nowogród - they are far too low imo, but maybe those Germans were bulletproof during this battle (when reading about the battle of Nowogród everyone can see that it was far more fierce and also longer than the battle of Grudziądz).

If it comes to the battles at the river Narew (battles of Nowogród, Łomża, Jednaczewo, Czartoria, Pniewo, Szablak, Piątnica) - what German units participated in them?

I know that for shure 21. Infanterie-Division and 10. Panzer-Division participated in those battles.

10. Panzer-Division was fighting mainly near Łomża - according to the German data during the campaign 10. Panzer-Division lost 77 tanks. It would probably be correct because according to the Poles in the battle of Łomża it lost several dozens of tanks due to the Polish resistance and it was most probably the battle in which this division suffered the highest armour casualties during the Polish Campaign.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 11 Nov 2008, 19:09

they are far too low imo, but maybe those Germans were bulletproof during this battle (when reading about the battle of Nowogród everyone can see that it was far more fierce and also longer than the battle of Grudziądz).
And you are able to present any proof that the data of losses of 21.ID, coming from the divisional documents of the Bundesarchiv, BA/MA, RA 24-21/11?
Or ist it the usual kind of speculation, of "could be, would be, should be"?

Jan-Hendrik

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 11 Nov 2008, 23:40

Jan-Hendrik wrote:
they are far too low imo, but maybe those Germans were bulletproof during this battle (when reading about the battle of Nowogród everyone can see that it was far more fierce and also longer than the battle of Grudziądz).
And you are able to present any proof that the data of losses of 21.ID, coming from the divisional documents of the Bundesarchiv, BA/MA, RA 24-21/11?
Or ist it the usual kind of speculation, of "could be, would be, should be"?

Jan-Hendrik
I quess he can't and reading the Divisions History again today I see nothing to disbelieve the figures so far.
Fierce and long fighting doesn't always mean the attacker or defender has to suffer very very heavy casualties.

A small example is the destruction of 3./FJR1 in Dordrecht, Holland may 1940. Completely surrounded it was destroyed as a fighting unit. Although all kia FJ's were burried in Dordrecht and listed as so, even today many claim 80 were KIA'd. Not more then 18 however were listed and burried. I quess national pride often makes "should be" into the written trueth.

Cheers

Ypenburg

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 15 Nov 2008, 12:34

Figures given by me are from the divisional history of 21. ID.

So as you can see figures given by "Lexikon der Wehrmacht" for casualties of IR.3 are wrong because these are figures reffering to casualties suffered by this regiment during the first three days of the Polish campaign in the battle of Grudziądz.
I quess he can't and reading the Divisions History again today I see nothing to disbelieve the figures so far.
Fierce and long fighting doesn't always mean the attacker or defender has to suffer very very heavy casualties.
Defensive lines around Nowogród (2 and 3) were defended by around 660 Polish soldiers from 33. infantry regiment.

They were defending against the Germans - at first some separated German units (motorized), later against the whole 21. Infanterie-Division (circa 17,000 men) and parts of other units (supported by Luftwaffe - one of numeorus air attacks was made by 20 bombers) from 5th untill 11th of September.

Town of Nowogród itself was coming from hands to hands for several times during that battle.

2 - position "Czartoria"
Nowogród (between positions 2 and 3)
3 - position "Szablak"

Total: 660 defenders (part of 33. infantry regiment)

Defensive lines of 33. infantry regiment were 65 kilometres long - the majority of 33. IR was positioned around Łomża (4, 5) and around Nowogród (2, 3 and in Nowogród = 660 soldiers) - the remaining 48 kilometres of defensive lines of the regiment were only secured by the rest of its forces.

The regiment had got artillery suppory of 12 light field guns.

33. infantry regiment was defending its positions since 5th of September untill 11th of September (more than 6 days).

In the morning of 11th of September the regiment was ordered to withdraw towards Zambrów.

When the regiment started its withdrawal, around half of Nowogród was in German hands (on 10th of September German forces captured Nowogród again - but were rejected by one more Polish counterattack - however the Poles managed only to recapture around half of the town this time).

Polish casualties in the battle of Nowogród are not known but they are said to be 50% (around 300 dead / wounded / missing / PoWs ?) - this includes several killed + several wounded lost on 5th of September and 22 dead, 15 heavilly wounded and 70 lightly wounded lost on 6th of September.

As the result of constant battles, German and Polish artillery bombardments, numerous Luftwaffe bombing - the town of Nowogród was completely destroyed between 5th and 11th of September:

Image[/quote]
Last edited by Piotr Kapuscinski on 15 Nov 2008, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 15 Nov 2008, 13:44

If it comes to the battle of Grudziądz:

The battle of Grudziądz lasted for three days (1st - 3rd of September 1939).

The following German forces took part in it:

- 228. Infanterie-Division
- 21. Infanterie-Division
- I./10. Panzer-Regiment
- 1. Aufklarungs Abteilung
- Corps units of XXI Armee Korps
- MG Btl 9
- Grenzwatch Rgt 11

It should be stressed that on 1st of September Polish forces repulsed all German attacks (12:00 - 18:00) and later made several succesful counteratacks against the German forces (18:00 - 21:45).

German forces were:

The whole 21. Infanterie-Division (at first only 24. and 3. infantry regiments came into combat - later also other elements of the division)
228. Infanterie-Division
I./10. Panzer-Regiment (3 tank companies) - 34 Pz-II, 6 Pz-IV, 3 Pz-III, 5 Pz-Bef, 28 Pz-I
1. Aufklarungs Abteilung - 12 SdKfz 231/232, 8 SdKfz 222, 20 SdKfz 221 + 8 SdKfz 223, 3 SdKfz 247, 1 SdKfz 260,
4 SdKfz 261, 3 SdKfz 263 = 40 Panzerspahwagen + 19 armoured communication vehicles.
Grenzwatch Rgt 11
MG Btl 9

Polish forces were:

Small auxilary cavalry unit protecting the border (so called "Krakusy" cavalry) - attacked on 12:00 and quickly rejected (didn't take part in further succesful combats on that day).

64. infantry regiment (4 infantry battalions):
- I./64 - 9 AT rifles
- II./64 - 9 AT rifles
- III./64 - 9 AT rifles
- I/.66 - 9 AT rifles
- 64. AT company (12 AT guns - according to other sources only 9)
- 64. infantry guns platoon (2 infantry guns 75mm)

I./65. infantry battalion (took part only in one, short combat during that day)

16. pal [light artillery regiment] - not all forces came into combat on that day:

I./16. light artillery regiment (12 light field guns)
1. & 2. battery of II./16. light artillery regiment (8 light field guns)
9. battery of III./16. light artillery regiment (4 x 100mm howitzers type 14/19)

Polish casualties on 1st of September in the battle of Grudziądz (WIA + KIA + MIA) were:

- 205 men (including 5 officers) - according to some other sources - 400 men

- 64. AT company lost 40 men and several AT guns

Tank casualties of I./Panzer-Regiment 10. on 1st of September in the battle of Grudziądz were:

- 4 howitzers of 9. battery from III./16. pal - repulsed German tank attack in Sadow by accurate direct fire without own casualties (nothing is written about casualties inflicted to the German tanks)
- 1. battery of II./16. pal - repulsed German tank attack destroying a few tanks without own casualties
- 2. battery of II./16. pal - destroyed 9 tanks while repulsing German attack without own casualties
- 64. AT company - was attacked by 3 tank companies with infantry support, destroyed 3 tanks, lost around 40 men and several AT guns - did not manage to stop the German attack (but soon two Polish infantry battalions counterattacked and rejected German tanks and infantry, rescuing AT company).
Last edited by Piotr Kapuscinski on 15 Nov 2008, 17:46, edited 3 times in total.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 15 Nov 2008, 14:12

I quess national pride often makes "should be" into the written trueth.
I do not think there is such a need in this case - 660 men with almost no artillery support resisting for 6 days against the whole Infanterie-Division with support of other units, strong artillery and Luftwaffe is more than enough pride, even if they killed "only" around 106 Germans and inflicted wounds to "only" 208 more (with a lost of around 50% - so circa 300 - men wounded/dead/missing and PoWs)...

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 15 Nov 2008, 14:45

Much less pride is in answer for question why positions near Nowogród were defended only by 660 men, why the whole central-Narew line was defended only by 33. infantry regiment, why 33. infantry regiment had got support of only 12 field guns, not 68 field guns (as it was planned), and why only 11 (8 in Szablak position, 3 in Czartoria position) out of 30 planned combat shelters had been built near Nowogród before the war...

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 16 Nov 2008, 01:08

Domen121 wrote:Much less pride is in answer for question why positions near Nowogród were defended only by 660 men, why the whole central-Narew line was defended only by 33. infantry regiment, why 33. infantry regiment had got support of only 12 field guns, not 68 field guns (as it was planned), and why only 11 (8 in Szablak position, 3 in Czartoria position) out of 30 planned combat shelters had been built near Nowogród before the war...
The national pride remark made by me stands. The Dutch after the war had to regain their national pride, that was badly hurt when we surrendered the Fortress Holland after 5 days. The usual stories started already after the out-break of the war. 5th coloms-stories, FJ's dressed as farmers and priests, we were sold out, ammo-boxes filled with sand, etc.etc. And also claiming high German casualties was part of it. Understandable under the circumstances after we lost, understandable to boost up moral after the war, but after 60 years we should make a start to get things straight and put on paper what really happened. And not, when writing books using parts of reports that boost up our national pride and leaving out the stuff that doesn't. That's why I have problems with many books. The writer mentions reports, and if you find a way to get to those reports it often seems he left out stuff, or gave it his own "translation" i.o.w. he made it fit into what he thinks should be the story.

I have a problem with that. The simple fact of what I mean is shown by you here:

Quote: They were defending against the Germans - at first some separated German units (motorized), later against the whole 21. Infanterie-Division (circa 17,000 men) and parts of other units (supported by Luftwaffe - one of numeorus air attacks was made by 20 bombers) from 5th untill 11th of September.

I have "Die Geschichte der 21.(ostpr./westpr.) Infanterie-Division" by Christoph Freiherr von Allmayer - Beck right in front of me.

Dealing with Nowogrod (looking at both quotes) I see some information that can be found in the book, but not in what you posted. F.e. you talk about 11 combat shelters, the book deals with 15 modern betonbunkers(build the last 4 months) with 3 sMG(HMG) and 1-2 lMG each. And mentions trenches and barb-wire f.e.. The attack(front)-line of the Division was 5 km.

You clame defending from the 5th untill the 11th. The Geschichte mentions the attack starting 9th and the thing was over on the 10th.

You clame defending against the whole 21 ID, parts of other units and numeorus air-attacks. For as far as I can read, IR24 was hold back, IR3 attackes with 2 Btl.(the 3rd securing the left flank). After the arty(1. and 3./AR21) had fired IR3 had to cross 200-300m coverless land, before reaching the river. That took 2 hrs, being under heavy Polisch fire all the time. Then the 3./Pio21 had to bring the small boats to cross the river. The attack started 05.45, the crossing started 11.45. 1./AR21 and 3./AR21 put down smoke and II.AR57 opend fire on the B-lines, while 4./IR3 opend up with all sMG's.
Then the strong wind blew away the smoke, the AR21 didn't have enough smoke granates so only 2 plt. menaged to get to the other side of the river. And the rest had to wait untill an air-attack(1st one) provided some cover so the 3rd plt. go cross the river. And doing so recieved heavy casualties as there was no smoke to provide cover.

No time the whole 21. ID was in action, the 2nd air attack is mentioned on the 10th, there was a counterattack by the Polish IR42 (18ID) on the 10th, etc. You obvious put those parts from the book together that create a "certain" story you want to tell.

So, I could go on translating all the pages from the book, but I think I've made my point. Just like many writers you left out many details of the fight, and what is mentioned in the book or put some together, to build the story like it serves you well. But I find it wrong. Either you give the full details available so people can draw their own conclusions, or don't post. Your now are creating a new story and providing incorrect information to those who read this posting.

I can only guess to the reason why, but noticing that you left out important information (about the Nowogrod-fighting) here, and also did not post the "Erlebnisse in polnischer Kriegsgefangschaft" in the warcrimes-section, I think I'm getting the picture. To bad, because I really would like to learn something here.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 17 Nov 2008, 14:34

You clame defending from the 5th untill the 11th. The Geschichte mentions the attack starting 9th and the thing was over on the 10th.
Translated by google translator:

1-4 first days of war in September 1939
After filling the positions of output for 33 Infantry Regiment soldiers complementarity deficiencies fortification. Shooting up, ditches, the barrier of barbed wire and mine liaison ditches, which are not prepared in its entirety before l September. This work could lead thanks to the fact that during the first four days of September środkowej over a distance of Narwia not been conducted, in addition to bombardowaniem Lomza and neighborhoods, no walk. This distance can therefore be regarded as "dead".
As mentioned earlier, the direction of Lomza and Novgorod ubezpieczała Podlaska Cavalry Brigade, the direction of Novgorod in addition to the divisional cavalry and the Border Guard to monitor the border. Apart from this, 33 ran PP active insurance - reconnaissance. This resulted from the fact that 3 / 4 bronionego Narwia section (48 km) was only guarded. The second reason was the high severity of the German Army in the direction of "Modlin", with the exception of SGO "Narew." Lt. Col. Stanek realized that this lull will not be sustained permanently, l Sept. network surveillance regiment completed patrolami. L September morning took Myszyniec Germany, which defended the department battalion of National Defense "Kurpie." As a result of large losses this branch, together with the commander of the battalion captain Nowickim, withdrew on the Novgorod. After his uporządkowaniu has been included to 9 companies see Pajka addressed to the third line of defense Nowogrodu. Polish command in response to the seizure of Myszyńca was sending 2 Company 71 Infantry Regiment under the command of Captain Naparlińskiego, enhanced two parcels ppanc. To the village Łyse. Before it made the task manageable Myszyńca. But the attack on 2 September failed. As a result of large losses to the company withdrew Nowogrodu. Its soldiers wcielono to 8 companies see Tarczałowicza in Szablaku.
On the night of 2 to 3 September went up 71 PP, in order to identify, in the district incense, and never returned to their positions. Turning to identify the regiment exceeded Narew Ostrołęka. This was so important that the regiment was a rearguard 18 Infantry Division, which was to promote the fight defensive 33 pp. So now the second day of the war regiment was deprived of support from the 18 DP. After the involvement of 33 Infantry Division in the fighting at Różane, Lt. Col. Stanek could not count on SGO "Narew." 33 weakening regiment complied with the withdrawal foreground Podlaska Cavalry Brigade.
As you can see from this, the units of foreground and background, which were to support the central defense Narwia have been withdrawn and sent over the lower Narew. Thus, 33 pp can count only on their own strength. And so big already weakening of the position defended the restriction increased the quantity of direct support artyleryjskiego. While on l September 68 provided for the regiment division, to 5 September, when the Germans began with attacks on positions 33 pp, regiment had only 12 division. This figure during the walk in September not only not increased, but with each day of heavy walk reduced. Was not also strengthen the regiment battalion of heavy machine guns, which took place on the eighth day of mobilization. Changed subordination 33 Infantry Regiment. Wydzielono him in the 18 DP and directly subordinate commanders SGO "Narew." Had no impact on its global position, as commander of the force has embarked on the lower Narwi. 33 Infantry Regiment commander, Lt. Col. Lucjan Stanek, could strengthen the power of his regiment only through persistence, resolve and courage of its soldiers.

Days 5 and 6 September
5 September Podlaska Cavalry Brigade, after fighting in East Prussia, left foreground 33 Infantry Regiment and sent to the district Early Plock, in the night Narew. To fill the resulting gap, Lt. Col. Stanek came towards Kolna Stawisk company and reconnaissance regiment (plutonium scouts horse riders and plutonium) under the command of Lieutenant Wladyslaw Szarek. There were border police and liaise with Podlaska Cavalry Brigade. However, after crossing the border by the Germans to see Szarek had to rely on sightings of movement of its troops.
On the same day major Joseph Sikora (III, the commander of the battalion states) has sent a message to the regiment Morgownik its withdrawal from the facility. This was due to the observed traffic motorists German forces in the direction of Nowogrodu. These forces detained the village between the river and Zbójna Pisa, where most (in front of Nowogrodu) was destroyed.
Regiment commander did not have more detailed data on enemy troops. Do not know if these are the reconnaissance troops guard the front or larger units. In this situation, ordered the ambulance fighting and authorized Major Sikora to the destruction of the bridge states, when it deems it necessary. In the report of the day. 18.00 III, the battalion commander confirmed the execution order. At the same time ordered the incineration and blow up the bridge over the Narwia. Two hours later the first shots have died. Strzelali Poles, because they heard car engines on the northern coast. In connection with this mjr Sikora banned the opening of fire, even in the event ahead with the start of the river by the Germans. This can be done only after you hear machine with arms bunkers.
Suddenly, at night, Germany began firing artillery positions across the Polish section of "Novgorod." After its been entered to the shares of heavy machine-guns. Despite their low efficiency and response fire Poles, the German army attempted to take the transition Narwia in the vicinity of the bridge and Brody. At the signal wystrzelonej rocket fire Ċeka replied. Despite the large losses of Germany has not discontinued ahead. River managed to spend only one pontonowi, whose crew perished in the fight against staffing bunkers.
Equally jams fight toczyły on pododcinku "Szablak", defended by 8 lieutenant Tarczałowicza company. Germany wanted to learn a sandy beach in the area Szablaka. However, the large-scale fire Poles did not allow them to the river. . Around midnight 5 September, after four hours, the fight to an end.
This first skirmish with the Germans forced to shift Lt. Col. Stanek two battery division in such a way that, although to a minimum to ensure supporting artillery and defenders Nowogrodu Jednaczewa. In view of the insufficient quantity of their regiment commander ordered at the same time prepare three firewalls in front of the bridge and Nowogrodzie Brody; in the direction of the forest Szablak; III in front of the fort Czarnocinie. The next day, 6 September morning, Lt. Col. Stanek received from Major Sikory message to the combatants and a group of Germans taken into captivity. POWs not wyjawili came from where and on what they were individuals. They said only that as a separate branch zmotoryzowany have to learn Novgorod, and that he did not expect a big Poles resistance. After learning Nowogrodu have to go further, but no one knows whither. Once we have this information disappointing POWs were returned to the command SGO "Narew" in Śniadowie. Losses of Poles in those first few hours walk 5 September amounted to several deaths in 9 companies Pajka lieutenant and several injured in two kompaniach.
About dawn on September 6 Lt. Col. Stanek re-heard the sound of firing from the Nowogrodu, over time more and more powerful. By phone received a message from III, the battalion commander, that Germany will lead the preparation of artillery on the line from Nowogrodu to Szablaka. His greatest severity went to the bridge and a beard. Known happened that the enemy, hit a lot more organized, will try the river during the day. Offensive began hours between 7.00 and 8 °. As in the previous day, they were infantry troops from pontonami. Both 8 and 9 as the company responded with fire from a strong bunkers. Parts of Germany managed to overcome the river, but przeciwuderzenia Poles forced them to flee the shore of "Polish" (south). After a short break, under cover of fire strong stop, the enemy infantry repeated attempts to overrun Narwia. This time counterattack 9 branch companies routed by por.Władysława Pajka, commander of the company, forced the Germans to leave the southern shore. In the mornings struggle ceased - Germany abandoned. They have failed to achieve the intended purpose which is the creation of Przyczółkowa at the edge of nowogrodzkim. Losses in both natarciach Poles, according to the report of Major Sikory, 22 were killed and 85 injured, including 15 seriously.
Attempt to overrun Narwia Sept. 6 Germany has also taken on Przedmościu "Lomza" and Jednaczewo section. In the Chludni noted movement of German troops, and the evening gathering of fishing boats. Stationed in New Kupiskach 9 artillery battery was difficult task - the distance to an end Chludni resonance division, and the battery has not been wstrzelana. However, thanks to skills regiment Chief of Staff (Adjutant tactical) Captain Francis Dmochowskiego, commander of Squadron 18 PAL-master at Krug, 9 battery commander Lieutenant Albina Poplawski and Adjutant II battalion, lieutenant Wladyslaw Dehnela, organized direct observation of artillery explosions. Now battery fire forced the Germans to disperse, and prepared for the crossing equipment was destroyed. Combat on 5 and 6 September nasunęły regiment commander convinced that the Germans, so states and in Lomza was the recognition of fighting forces of Poles in the middle Narwia and not go to the south shore of the river and the creation of a Przyczółkowa. This could be a relatively quick abandonment by the Germans southern shore.
The events of these two days have caused that Lt. Col. Stanek, using a break after fighting injured 6 September, summoned the commanders of various groups clearance. At check-introduced the general situation regiment, his weakness through the transfer of troops from the foreground and tyłów and informed of the changes that occur in the coming days. Knowing that the communications wire may at any moment be damaged, the commander of regiment as supplemented its previous orders for individual episodes, that their commander in dangerous situations do not gave a surprise and were able to make their own decisions.
Generally speaking it should provide as follows: for Przedmościu "Lomza" second projection and the battalion main effort was to focus on defense in front of Czarnocin in order to shield the wooden bridge at Piątnicy, as the main passage for the army in Nowogrodzie III, the commander of the battalion in the case przeciwuderzenia had strengthened its forces staffing of the 'Czartoria "; II, the battalion commander in Jednaczewie its plan of action was to adjust to the situation prevailing in the Nowogrodzie, all groupings have to recognize the close foreground.

Day 7 September
The dawn of the regiment came to the command message from Koln, the commander of the reconnaissance company por.Szarka, indicating that crossing the border by the Germans and posuwaniu in the direction of Koln. These messages were confirmed population border villages. Plutonium Horse reconnaissance company fight started with Germany. But because the enemy fire, including tanks ostrzeliwujące Forbes, por.Szarka forced to retreat. He still managed to give a telegram message to Kolna seized by the Germans.
The same applies to the cyclists had with plutonium ppor. Malinowski in Stawiskach. Attacked from several angles, including tanks, and threatened laps, began to withdraw in groups of various parties. From a total disaster uchroniły their nearby forests. With 90 people reconnaissance companies returned 20 Despite the unequal struggle and the loss of personal goal put the company at least in part, been achieved. Thanks to the attitude of their regiment avoided surprise. Until now, Germany tried to exceed Narew states, Szablaku and Chludniach, while Lomza was bombarded. The events in Kolnie and Stawiskach Lt. Col. Stanek learned from his Chief of Staff, the master Dmochowskiego.
Immediately after hearing the meldunkami mówiącymi to launch a strike on przedmoście "Lomza", the commander of the regiment together kpt. Dmochowskim and major Wyderko (battalion commander I) went to the piątnickie forts on the artillery observation point (Fort II), where he was an excellent view of the foreground. Nearby, built, was previously mined and could be wysadzone when approaching Germans. Knowing that the greatest fear in the direction of Czarnocin, the commander of the PP l Sept. 33 and rebuked evacuate its population, a village burn. The major Wyderko (I battalion commander) has been able to issue orders to open fire only stop when the enemy troops closer to the distance 200 - 300 meters to the first obstacle of barbed wire. Fire network was perfectly organized by the Stockholm-captain Leo Stokowskiego (3 company commander CKM), so Lt. Col. Stanek recommended major Wyderce struggle for close distances. Using presence on the observation point at Fort II, the commander 7 battery, Lieutenant Maximilian Czarnecki, regiment commander gave him an order to be prepared for the opening of the concentrated fire at the right time to stretch highway Stawiski - Lomza.
Around noon on the road with Kolna and Stawisk appearance zwiadowcy. For them, slightly later noticed two motorcycles and several German tanks. Tanks, slowly, guided by the party in the fort III (Czarnocin). There awaited them wkopane and masked by a parcel. When I came out the last of Poles tanks opened fire. Hit, twisted and prevented the other vice versa. Thanks to their disablement 7 battery see Czarnecki, with the support of anti-plots, destroyed other tanks. In these circumstances, motorcyclists have withdrawn. After a momentary silence German artillery began to fire. The increasingly intensive fire focused on Fort Piątnicy II and III in Czarnocinie. Swelling artillery bombardment could portend a - to prepare for the attack on Polish items. After the arrest and destruction of tanks, attack went 84 Infantry Regiment, 21 Division Zmotoryzowanej belonging to XXI Corps gen.von Falkenhorsta. Germany reckoned on an easy success in curtailing przedmościa, and then Lomza. Initially, the German tyraliera was beset by an effective Polish artillery fire - Ċeka milczały. It was only when Germany approached the barrier of barbed wire, major Wyderko, in accordance with an earlier command Lt. Col. Stanek, gave orders to open fire by heavy and light machine gun. It was formed in this way firewall, all the time assisted artillery, almost immediately stopped the German offensive. During the entire time enemy ostrzeliwał with heavy machine guns in most Piątnicy, and the missiles fell zapalające Lomza, which wzniecały fires in the city. Evening left the regiment commander przedmoście. Sent to his word reconnaissance patrols zameldowały that the enemy retreated into their starting positions.
At a time when Germany began their attack przedmoście "Lomza" on sections of "Novgorod" and "Czartoria" calm reigned. In connection with this major Sikora was sent to the north shore of reconnaissance patrols. In Morgownikach and Chludniach not noticed the presence of German troops. This is not so reassured III, the battalion commander, as well as regiment commander. On the contrary. After trzykrotnych trials in the two previous days, sforsowania Narwia by the enemy between Novgorod and Szablakiem, this silence could indicate the activities carried out by the enemy on this subject. This, in turn, could indicate preparations for the new attack. Therefore, mjr Sikora, in addition to the activities on this subject, ordered the exchange of first-line defense in the second projection, the strengthening of the third queue at the trackside wąskotorowej repair and field fortifications. Afternoon returned, sent by the commanders of 8 and 9 companies, the facility officers. With Chludni noted in the way of small Plock, Poland - Kisielnica column truck, a facility with Morgownik zameldowała movements of German troops in the region Zbójnej. This was evidenced by the fact that the enemy will carry out major impact on the Novgorod and piątnickie forty. Chickadee thus ordered major battle ambulance. He recalled, however, that fire should be open to the close distance and only on the signal launched.
The attack on the German leg of "Novgorod" followed by the evening, after hours. 20.00. It is very like the preceding three attack with 5 and 6 September, but now that the most serious fighting toczyły on pododcin-ku "Szablak." Preparation of artillery, together with a very strong fire heavy machine guns, covered a vast area, both in breadth and in the depths of Polish defense. Novgorod and burn the light of Germany began another attempt to overrun the river. After a failed first attempt, rushed to attack another projection, already more frequent. In addition to continuous artillery fire field, bunkers Poles began ostrzeliwać anti-artillery. With such support artyleryjskiemu second attack reached the south shore. But major Joseph Sikora did not allow the Germans to use. At his behest 3 plutonium 8 companies dowodzony lieutenant by John Witkowski, has carried out counterattack. Occurred at a time when the enemy left the pontoons. Surprise was total and forced the enemy to retreat to the north shore. The onslaught Polish artillery fire brought confusion among the Germans and forced them to flee the north shore and to withdraw into the depths of the forest. On this day he has already given up attempts to re Narwia overrun.
In Jednaczewie Pniewie and there was no major fighting. On the episode "Jednaczewo" Germany tried to overcome Narew, a facility 5 companies Małym Plock forced three German tanks to withdraw. Also in the episode "Pniewo" German tanks to podchodziły Narwia artillery infantry platoon but not guilty of jeopardizing the Polish position. In contrast, the German infantry was preventing the fire from the bunker Field in Budach Pniewskich.
On the night of 7 to 8 September Lt. Col. Lucjan Stanek went by car to the premises of Staff SGO "Narew" in Śniadowie. Although they met Sept. 7 staff began moving into Zambrowa, but the commander found there at night even close bars with General Czeslaw hammer-Fijałkowskim. Lt. Col. Stanek presented him his proposals for further defense plan Narwia for 33 PP. However, staff groups did not take any decision. Lt. Col. Stanek informed only that from 8 September his regiment was again placed under the authority of the commander 18 Infantry Division, which commissioned him to make contact. After returning to the commander Roller 33 pp established telephone communications with the division commander, Colonel Stefan Kosseckim, and read it from the location of his regiment, and asked for guidance on the possible walk odwrotowych. Following the talks, they agreed that
"regiment during the 8 September can not come down from their positions, even at the expense of total destruction, and that therefore, that by fighting his insurance group from the north, and to make it on that day freedom of maneuver. evening, while, on 8 September, further orders come ".

8 September
Germany began early in the morning to prepare for artillery przedmoście "Lomza", lasting nearly three hours. After its completion, with the support of heavy weapons ogniowym engine started to attack enemy infantry. The direction of the attack, so forts in Piątnicy and Czarnocinie, showed clearly that Germany was about mastering a wooden bridge in Piątnicy. However, their onslaught fire did not cause damage Polish concrete shelters. At the same time, Polish 7 battery fire, very precise, it does not allow the German infantry to gain a major portion of land without major losses. The enemy was forced to be okopywania.
In the early afternoon fighting to an end, as it turned out, not for long. Seeing the difficulties, the German command issued an order the bombing of przedmościa, above all, II and III of the fort and a bridge in Piątnicy. Bombing, which took approximately 20 aircraft, particularly sorely odczuło same city Lomza. Major Wyderko as it remembers:

"Huk, smoke, tumany earth and hot air, stemmed breath. Seemed to us that the hell does not break out alive and inches. Personally, the biggest fear ogarniał me to mind my shelters as they abolish the bombing and to what extent it will be my disordered network Fire. odetchnąłem But with relief when nalocie saw that all my fighting shelters are intact and working, washing without mercy in szkopów, who wanted to use its aviation operation. "

Despite the attack deter the enemy losses Poles have been great. Pumping station was destroyed and field kitchens and wybito standing at the back of forts horses. Fortunately, just as they did in 1920, residents pośpieszyli with the help of Lomza. Thanks to the organization dowozowi water boilers and cooking meals, I helped soldiers to the battalion to survive these very difficult moments. This generosity Łomżan lasted until the departure of the battalion Lomza. In late afternoon attack the German has, however, raids, it is only a single, ended with the zapadnięciem dusk.
At the same time heavy fighting toczyły the states. Top of the German attack not announced it. Preparation artillery was very weak, not focused particularly on the part of a Polish defense. But as time passed, wzmagało, and Germany began to use missiles smoke. Despite the fact that Poles responded wytężonym fire on the eastern shore Nowogrodu nieprzyjacielowi managed to reach shore south. By contrast, on the west wing of the grouping "Novgorod, near the destroyed bridge and Brody, they have failed to exceed the river. But it was not the end of fighting. In addition to a massive fire artyleryjskiego they used, as it did on 7 September, anti-artillery. With forests covering the edge of "the German" (north), podciągnęli work on such a distance to accurately strike fire directly at the Polish bunkers. In this way, the German infantry attack a success. Germany has not only reached a shore south, but przedarli and took the embankment on the eastern shore Nowogrodu. Major Joseph Sikora in the situation personally led kontruderzenie, which, despite persistent fighting, failed. In addition to the use by anti-enemy plots, for their inability to repel the attack could have an impact, the bunkers do not have ventilation equipment. This was so important that with such massive fire, the crew bunkers were forced to open the door, and this will prevent proper defense in the event of their laps.
Germany were less active in the region Szablaka. But unexpectedly began bombing enemy positions 8 companies. Intensive raids led to the one that exploded in the ranks of Poles panic. On the other positions por.Tarczałowicz company commander, Cadet Krajewski and platoon Zareba along with handful of soldiers. Lieutenant Tarczałowicz together with podchorążym Krajewskim, wishing to stop panic among their soldiers, began ostrzeliwanie aircraft from rkm-s. Efficacy was neither a tragic outcome - both of whom died. This has led to the dispersion of 8 companies. If you want to save the situation of Lt. Col. Stanek, located at the facility in the officers' Mątwicy, came under threat in the region of plutonium shooters. After arriving at the place of marksmen with the plutonium CKM under the command of Pluta. Zaręby rejected the carriage to the Germans in this spot by Narew. However embankment on the eastern shore Nowogrodu remained in their hands. Aware of the danger of leaving it in the hands of German, Lt. Col. Stanek decided to recapture it. Due to the fact that over a distance "Jednaczewo" calm reigned, regiment commander agreed with the major Swięcickim that will carry 5 counterattack company see Adam Łempickiego together with the second plutonium 8 ppor companies. John Mogilnickiego. In contrast, 6 ppor company. Charles Łupińskiego, which is the reserve regiment, was transferred from New Kupisk to Mątwicy. Lt. Col. Stanek did not know, however, that German forces are on occupied Skarpie and that therefore designated by him enough troops to its reflectivity. In order to strengthen the forces of Poles he chorążemu Marian Quindtowi the formation of 8 soldiers dispersed additional branch companies, which were to be increased chefs to, telephone and soldiers from taborów. In addition to the value of personal choir. Quindta it was also true that he knew very well land in the region and Nowogrodu Szablaka. The attack on the Poles had started to batter the night of 8 / 9 September at. O1.00. Signal for the attack was to be launching missiles - l white and 2 red.
Branch went to see Łempickiego Mątwicy. Upon arrival to Major Nowogrodu met Sikora, who told him that his branch receives support fire from bunkers just after the start of attack. In addition, the team assigned him cekaemów. The attack forced the Germans 5 companies to withdraw to the river. Conversely, a branch choir. Quindta went along the river. In the near scarp noted kładkę, after which the German soldiers to reinforce its forces in southern shore. It has been destroyed, and the batter odbita. Soldiers choir. Quindta were captured 32 prisoners and returned them to Roller. Thus an order banning the division commander's position for 33 to leave the regiment was made. However, the commander announced by DP 18 orders as at 9 September did not nadchodziły. As a result, Lt. Col. Stanek contact with him by telephone. Zrelacjonowaniu after the walk and made transfers between own forces and Jednaczewem Novgorod, asked him to strengthen the 33 regiment. In response to that heard from płka Kosseckiego:

"I am aware of your position, but in a situation that gets created, you can not count on any pcwoc. Conversely, you have to survive with what you have next 24 hours."

Lower line of defense can only regiment when he will not be able to lead a renewed effort to combat.
Aware of the fact that Germany will most likely want to settle the fight for sforsowanie Narwia in Novgorod, where Lt. Col. Stanek also ordered to make changes, in order to strengthen this segment through the regrouping of the battalion II ( "Jednaczewo"). In place of 6 companies (transferred from Kupisk to Mątwicy) addressed por.Łempickiego company. Conversely, a company 7 ( 'Czartoria ") was to be used to defend" Nowogrodu. " Defending 65 km Narwia was concentrated in Nowogrodzie and Lomza (about 10 km) where the focus 2 / 3 regiment.

Days 9 and 10 September
As early as dawn on Sept. 9 enemy began firing artillery bombardment and Lomza and Nowogrodu. So great intensity fire can provide out that the attack will be carried out much larger forces than in previous days. After the start of attack in the morning everything pointed to the fact that Germany will act in two directions: Debniki - Novgorod - Szablak - Mątwica and przedmoście "Lomza."
Despite bohaterskiej defense III battalion, as a result of a strong artillery fire and aviation German infantry enemy in the mornings mastered Novgorod. With Jednaczewa started counterattack II battalion, which rejected the Germans from parts of the city. However, the lack of odwodów and the vast preponderance of the enemy has caused the counterattack utknęło in place to finally come to an end.
In contrast, the German attack on the forty przedmościa was directed mainly at the fort II Piątnicy. Three times tried to acquire, despite strong fire artyleryjskiego and use of aviation, have failed. Lomza barracks bombing and 33 Infantry Regiment of causing large losses of human lives. Also the process of wire communications regiment headquarters in the bag. Lt. Col. Stanek had to resort to artillery, communications networks. During the September 8 and 9 received only two or three calls from the division. The recent merger took place September 10 evening. 33 Infantry Regiment commander Lt. Col. Lucjan Stanek then received orders to the back of the occupied positions. In the period from 5 to 9 September regiment from the state because of fallen, injured and missing, it has fallen to 50% of output.
1o time between September 20 and 21 Lt. Col. Stanek received from Headquarters 18 DP order to retreat. It sounded like this:
"At night, dated Sept. 10 to U break away from the enemy and focus in the region Mokrych Take heed. Odwrotowe movements begin at. 23.00.
As the day to the next boss Lt. Col. Stanek, an order was delayed by 24 hours. Therefore, the regiment commander gave his orders, regulations, which define the orientations and ways to retreat and the place of collection. Two hours later, between 22 and 23, it's a new decree, which drew the previous and nakazywał pułkowi remain in their positions yet September 11. It was you that at dawn on September 11th Infantry Regiment 42 starts counterattack. But the second order could no longer be enforced, because Battalions II and III started vice versa. Only remained in post and battalion mjra Stanislaw Wyderki.

After a break of communication with the division of the action odwrotowych 33 pp personally decide its commander, Lt. Col. Stanek. The order issued by the regiment commander was as follows:

"On the night of 10 to 11 September at. 23.00 regiment will be pulling away from the enemy. To this end, the commander in individual sections, with the exception of the captains of 4 companies II battalion and 7 companies Ul battalion, left on continuously occupied positions of the rear guard, under cover of which from 10 to 11 September will begin to maneuver odwrotowy Zone Take heed Mokrych. 4 II battalion company will begin retreat until September 10 between the hours of 23.00, leaving the region Bud Pniewskich officer of the institution CKM goal surveillance crossings in Pniewie and Boginiach-Czachy hours of injured on 11 September . II battalion after reaching Take heed Dried remain in this city and insure this area from the east and north. Stráže rear, which will determine the quantitative commander battalions, will start movements odwrotowe dawn on 11 September ".

According to the order (second) 11 September morning, I held positions at the battalion Przedmościu "Lomza."
On the same day at dawn came to Take heed Mokrych Col. Alexander Hertel (divisional commander of the infantry). There, during a conversation with Lt. Col.. Stanek, ordered him to gather and przebiæ regiment in the direction of Zambrowa from the north. To the west, was to attack 71 pp. 33 regiment commander Col. proposed. Hertlowi to wait to attack until the start of meetings in Baczach Mokrych entire regiment. However, this did not agree to this and ordered Lt. Col.. Stankowi form a branch from appearing in the region Take heed soldiers. His job was to go in the direction of herrings, and from there along Zambrów rub on the highway, Lomza, Poland - Warrnambool. In Baczach Mokrych 33 regiment commander left kpt. Dmochowskiego, Adjutant tactical regiment, and see Zyblewskiego, an information officer. Their task was to collect reach Take heed to the soldiers and their dosyłanie branch to the commander.
F.e. you talk about 11 combat shelters, the book deals with 15 modern betonbunkers
"Schron bojowy" = "combat shelter":

Something like that:

http://kaczorek.easyisp.pl/strona/nowogrod.htm

There were 11 completed schrony bojowe (+ some under construction).
Last edited by Piotr Kapuscinski on 17 Nov 2008, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 17 Nov 2008, 15:17

did not post the "Erlebnisse in polnischer Kriegsgefangschaft" in the warcrimes-section
Can you provide the link because I don't know exactly what are you writing about ?
On 5th of September:
On the same day major Joseph Sikora (III, the commander of the battalion states) has sent a message to the regiment Morgownik its withdrawal from the facility. This was due to the observed traffic motorists German forces in the direction of Nowogrodu. These forces detained the village between the river and Zbójna Pisa, where most (in front of Nowogrodu) was destroyed.
Regiment commander did not have more detailed data on enemy troops. Do not know if these are the reconnaissance troops guard the front or larger units. In this situation, ordered the ambulance fighting and authorized Major Sikora to the destruction of the bridge states, when it deems it necessary. In the report of the day. 18.00 III, the battalion commander confirmed the execution order. At the same time ordered the incineration and blow up the bridge over the Narwia. Two hours later the first shots have died. Strzelali Poles, because they heard car engines on the northern coast. In connection with this mjr Sikora banned the opening of fire, even in the event ahead with the start of the river by the Germans. This can be done only after you hear machine with arms bunkers.
Suddenly, at night, Germany began firing artillery positions across the Polish section of "Novgorod." After its been entered to the shares of heavy machine-guns. Despite their low efficiency and response fire Poles, the German army attempted to take the transition Narwia in the vicinity of the bridge and Brody. At the signal wystrzelonej rocket fire Ċeka replied. Despite the large losses of Germany has not discontinued ahead. River managed to spend only one pontonowi, whose crew perished in the fight against staffing bunkers.
Equally jams fight toczyły on pododcinku "Szablak", defended by 8 lieutenant Tarczałowicza company. Germany wanted to learn a sandy beach in the area Szablaka. However, the large-scale fire Poles did not allow them to the river. . Around midnight 5 September, after four hours, the fight to an end.
This first skirmish with the Germans forced to shift Lt. Col. Stanek two battery division in such a way that, although to a minimum to ensure supporting artillery and defenders Nowogrodu Jednaczewa. In view of the insufficient quantity of their regiment commander ordered at the same time prepare three firewalls in front of the bridge and Nowogrodzie Brody; in the direction of the forest Szablak; III in front of the fort Czarnocinie. The next day, 6 September morning, Lt. Col. Stanek received from Major Sikory message to the combatants and a group of Germans taken into captivity. POWs not wyjawili came from where and on what they were individuals. They said only that as a separate branch zmotoryzowany have to learn Novgorod, and that he did not expect a big Poles resistance. After learning Nowogrodu have to go further, but no one knows whither. Once we have this information disappointing POWs were returned to the command SGO "Narew" in Śniadowie. Losses of Poles in those first few hours walk 5 September amounted to several deaths in 9 companies Pajka lieutenant and several injured in two kompaniach.
-------------------------------
and the thing was over on the 10th.
Nothing was over.

The Poles simply received order to retreat from the divisional command - it was in the evening of 10th of September, but the Poles left their positions near Nowogród in the morning on 11th of September (positions near Łomża were defended untill the evening of 11th of September - after 17:00).
On 10th of September between 20 and 21 Lt. Col. Stanek received from Headquarters 18 DP order to retreat. It sounded like this:

"At night, dated Sept. 10 to U break away from the enemy and focus in the region Mokrych Take heed. Odwrotowe movements begin at. 23.00.
As the day to the next boss Lt. Col. Stanek, an order was delayed by 24 hours. Therefore, the regiment commander gave his orders, regulations, which define the orientations and ways to retreat and the place of collection. Two hours later, between 22 and 23, it's a new decree, which drew the previous and nakazywał pułkowi remain in their positions yet September 11. It was you that at dawn on September 11th Infantry Regiment 42 starts counterattack. But the second order could no longer be enforced, because Battalions II and III started vice versa. Only remained in post and battalion mjra Stanislaw Wyderki.

After a break of communication with the division of the action odwrotowych 33 pp personally decide its commander, Lt. Col. Stanek. The order issued by the regiment commander was as follows:

"On the night of 10 to 11 September at. 23.00 regiment will be pulling away from the enemy. To this end, the commander in individual sections, with the exception of the captains of 4 companies II battalion and 7 companies Ul battalion, left on continuously occupied positions of the rear guard, under cover of which from 10 to 11 September will begin to maneuver odwrotowy Zone Take heed Mokrych. 4 II battalion company will begin retreat until September 10 between the hours of 23.00, leaving the region Bud Pniewskich officer of the institution CKM goal surveillance crossings in Pniewie and Boginiach-Czachy hours of injured on 11 September . II battalion after reaching Take heed Dried remain in this city and insure this area from the east and north. Stráže rear, which will determine the quantitative commander battalions, will start movements odwrotowe dawn on 11 September ".

According to the order (second) 11 September morning, I held positions at the battalion Przedmościu "Lomza."
On the same day at dawn came to Take heed Mokrych Col. Alexander Hertel (divisional commander of the infantry). There, during a conversation with Lt. Col.. Stanek, ordered him to gather and przebiæ regiment in the direction of Zambrowa from the north.

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 23 Jan 2009, 22:15

Ypenburg wrote:
he Geschichte mentions the attack starting 9th
From ww2 day by day: about actions of 21. Infanterie-Division against Nowogród:
8.September 1939

XXI.A.K.(mot.): attacking towards Lomza. 21.Inf.Div. reached the Narew at Nowogrod and encounters enemy in bunkers. 10.Pz.Div. reached the Narew at Wizna.

On the 9.9. the Korps plans to pursue the enemy with 20.Inf.Div.(mot.) and 10.Pz.Div. direction Siedlce and Mordy.

Gruppe Kaupisch: is pushing towards Gdingen. The cleaning of the Tucheler Heide is about to be completed by 218.Inf.Div.

21.Inf.Div.: Inf.Rgt.3 and 45 reach the assembling areas at the northern bank of the Narew and try to cross the 60m broad Narew river. One company of Inf.Rgt.45 can cross the river but fails to establish a bridgehead because of heavy enemy fire. The attack will be continued tomorrow with heavy artillery and air support.
9.September 1939

XXI.A.K.: failed to cross the Narew at Nowogrod west of Lomza.

21.Inf.Div.: For the attack across the Narew on this day 3 light and 2 heavy Artillerieabteilungen providde fire support while the infantry crosses the river. But the artillery fire has no effect on the fortified positions of the enemy and the german attack is rejected again. During the night 9./10. the artillery forces are reinforced by one s.Art.Abt., one Mörserbatterie and one 8,8cm battery. During the night the Flak and the light artillery is positioned along the river to attack the enemy positions with direct fire tomorrow.
10.September 1939

XXI.A.K.(mot.):

21.Inf.Div.: In the early morning about 100 guns and Stukas attack the enemy bunkers along the Narew-river. Around 10:00 the infantry crosses the river and attacks the enemy bunkers. Each bunker had to be taken out and in the evening the bunkerline was in german hands. A polish counter attack in the afternoon from Ostrolenka was rejected under heavy losses for the enemy.
Ypenburg wrote:
For as far as I can read, IR24 was hold back
So where did it suffer 15 KIA and 26 WIA during those days? - hm?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”