Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

116. Windhund Division

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS and Volkssturm.
Hosted by Christoph Awender.

116. Windhund Division

Postby colinsb on 29 May 2009 11:34

Hi all, my first post on here so be gentle on me :wink:

I seem to remember reading that the 116th "acquired" an M8 greyhound whilst in Normandy but can't remember where I saw it, does anyone have any further information on this?

Also, any info on the OOB for the unit throughout the Normandy campaign would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
colinsb
United Kingdom

Re: 116. Windhund Division

Postby Martin Block on 29 May 2009 12:14

Hello,

I can't tell you anything about that 'Greyhound' but if you're looking for the OoB of 116. Pz.Div. and other German units during Normandy check out his site: http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normandy/index.html

Martin Block
Martin Block
Germany

Postby historymuseum2000 on 29 May 2009 21:09

Not sure if this one is from the Windhund division or not, but it is indeed a captured M8 Greyhound. Looks like it was even over sprayed in panzer yellow wavy lines.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x308 ... /germ8.jpg

The photo and the following are from Achtung Panzer! http://www.achtungpanzer.com/achtung-panzer-home

Original Designation: M8 Greyhound
Original Role: light armored car
German Designation: Panzerspahwagen M8 ---(a)
Conversions/Role/Use: combat/reconnaissance
Note: One vehicle was field-modified and mounted with 20mm MG151/20.

Here's some that might end up that way:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x308 ... 1iptn5.jpg

I can't find the one I have been thinking of though, shows a young Panzer crewman standing next to a freshly captured M8, it is in one of the Panzer Colors books by Bruce Culver.

Hope this helps some!

Lee
historymuseum2000
United States

Postby colinsb on 01 Jun 2009 15:54

Thanksfor the info.

On another matter the Pzr IVs that they had, would I be correct in assuming they would be H versions or did they recieve some Pzr IV G and J??
colinsb
United Kingdom

Postby Martin Block on 01 Jun 2009 17:47

The 116. Pz.Div. was formed in the spring of 1944 using the remaining personnel of the 16. Pz.Gren.Div. returning from the Eastern Front and incorporating men and equipment from the 179. Res.Pz.Div. based in France.

The first reports from the 179. Res.Pz.Div. dating from Sep. 1943 among various Pzkpfw. III and a few Pzkpfw. IV L/24 showed a single Pzkpfw. IV with the 7,5 cm L/43 gun, i.e. an Ausf. F2 or G.

During Sep and Nov 1943 the division received 11 new Pzkpfw. IV armed with the 7,5 cm L/48 gun. These should have been Ausf. H since production of the Ausf. G had already ceased since June 1943.

That amounted to a total of 12 long barreled Pzkpfw. IV with the division and that figure did not chance until Jan. 1944. But instead of reporting 1 Pzkpfw. IV with L/43 gun and 11 with L/48 gun, reports continued to show only 12 L/48 guns after September 1943.

If the single L/43 tank out of convenience was simply counted together with the L/48 tanks after September 1943 or if that tank or at least the gun was actually exchanged is unknown to me. Anyway, as far as I can tell this (the convenience theory) could have been the only way that anything other than Pzkpfw. IV late Ausf. H (~1/3) and early Ausf. J (~2/3) could later have appeared with the 116. Pz.Div. because later tank deliveries to the 179. Res.Pz.Div. respectively 116. Pz.Div. happened in Jan, Mar, Apr, and May 1944 (production Ausf. H ceased in Feb 1944).

Martin Block
Martin Block
Germany

Return to Heer, Reichswehr & Waffen-SS