With the 3 Pz through Poland - 1939.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: With the 3 Pz through Poland - 1939.

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 10 Feb 2010, 18:24

Could you help me in establishing positions of German units from 3. Pz.Div. in the morning on 17 IX?

Aufkl.Abt.3 with support of 2./Art.Rgt.75 was attacking towards Szack.

Kradschtz.Btl.3, Pi.Btl.39, I./Schtz.Rgt.3, II./Pz.Rgt.6, II./Art.Rgt.75 were fighting near Wlodawa.

Patrols from I./Pz.Rgt.5 (4./Pz.Rgt.5) were carrying out reconnaissance near Dorohusk.

The rest of I./Pz.Rgt.5 reached Opalin in the morning and ran out of fuel so Wendenburg decided to stop.

Three batteries from I./Art.Rgt.75 stayed near Brest-Litovsk to support the attack of 20. Inf.Div.(mot.).

On 18.09.1939 Group Ehlermann - II./Schtz.Rgt.3, 6./Pz.Rgt.6, 6./Pz.Lehr.Rgt., 1./Pi.Btl.39, 1./Art.Rgt.75 and 1./Pz.Abw.Abt.39 attacked towards Chelm (probably on the previous day they fought near Wlodawa).

But what with the remaining units:

I./Pz.Rgt.6, II./Pz.Rgt.5, the rest of Pz.Abw.Abt.39, the rest of Pz.Lehr.Rgt. and Nachr.Abt.39?

I suppose they were fighting near Wlodawa or securing the area Wlodawa - Brzesc?

adambydgoszcz

Post by adambydgoszcz » 10 Feb 2010, 19:49

tigre wrote:Hello to all :D; the story follows.........................

With the 3 Pz through Poland – September 1939.

War. Sept 01 1939.

Around noon, the PR 5 together with its brother regiment, the PR 6, had reached the Brahe river, which ran from south to north through the Tucheler Heide. The 3. Pz Brigade "Berlin" with attached elements from the AA 3 (Major Frhr.v.Wechmar), had moved 30 kilometers ahead into the "Polish Corridor" making a wedge in the enemy front.

First refuelling close to Bagnitz – 01 Sep 1939.

At 14:30 hours the Corps’ CP was shifted to Tryziany (Zahn). The Corps Commander went to Pruszcz (Prust) where were the 3 Pz’s troops, arriving there at 16:00 hours, the Divisional Commander was not there and the PR 6 officers reported on the Brahe’s situation. The PR 6 Commanding Officer did not believe his regiment could get across that day. The troops were to take a rest on the spot.

Guderian was dissastified with that situation when a young Leutnant with his sleeves rolled up approached and told him: Sir, I came from the front, the polish resistance was weak on the Brahe. The attack failed because nobody leads it. You should go there Sir; and the amazed Corps Commander did so, reaching the Brahe´s bank at Hammermühle (Sokole Kuznica) between 16:00 and 17:00 hours.

Sources: Memorias de un Soldado. Heinz Guderian. Círculo Militar. Buenos aires.
KTB des Genralkommando XIX AK – Feldzug in Polen.
Geschichte der Panzerregiment 5. Kapitel 3.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... en/3PD.htm
http://www.feldgrau.com/heer3p.html
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
Subasta de eBay (finalizada).

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).
look for
more photography on Prust Bagnitz
I live near

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 06 May 2011, 22:15

At 17:30 hours was reported to AOK that the Army Corps had reached the line Bzowo – Jezewo – Taszewko – Grupa. At the Grupa’s Training Ground the enemy offered some resistance yet.
Grupa was the place where units of 9 DP gathered by commander of divisional artillery płk. dypl. Alikow tried to break through the ring of German encirclement. "Some resistance" is a bit laconic description of those fights. :wink:

According to "Geschichte der 3 Panzer- Division. Berlin - Brandenburg 1935 -1945", Berlin 1967, during combats near Grupa on 04.09.1939 attacking Polish units fought fiercely and with "courage of despair" ("mit dem Mute der Verzweifung"). Barracks in Grupa (its probably the same place as to which you referred as "Grupa's Training Ground") were changing owner three times before the Germans finally managed to secure their control over this place.

Counterattacks of German tanks were repulsed by "accurate and heavy" fire of Polish AT guns. At a time Poles directly threatened the post of one of German artillery batteries. At another time, Generalmajor Strumpff and Oberst Angern were both forced to commit HQs of their brigades to support German combat units in repulsing Polish attacks.

All of this and more on combats for Grupa can be found in "Geschichte der 3 Panzer- Division. (...)".

The website of Grupa Górna also says that combats on 04.09.1939 were day-long:

http://republika.pl/svdgg/nowa/layout/f ... oto60.html

tigre

Post by tigre » 07 May 2011, 02:16

Thanks Peter and adambydgoszcz for your cooperation with this thread :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

przemope

Post by przemope » 07 Aug 2011, 18:41

My link: http://odkrywca.pl/bukowiec-1939-2009-2 ... tml#657753
In Polish language with more photos and maps.

With best wishes - przemope from town Bydgoszcz - Poland

tigre

Post by tigre » 07 Aug 2011, 18:45

Thank you very for that link przemope :wink:. Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 07 Aug 2011, 23:46

Also here there was some discussion about that wreck of Panzer IV in Polskie Laki:

On pages 55:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1611889

And 56:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5#p1614473

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 28 Nov 2011, 19:02

According to "Geschichte der 3 Panzer- Division. Berlin - Brandenburg 1935 -1945", Berlin 1967, during combats near Grupa on 04.09.1939 attacking Polish units fought fiercely and with "courage of despair" ("mit dem Mute der Verzweifung"). Barracks in Grupa (its probably the same place as to which you referred as "Grupa's Training Ground") were changing owner three times before the Germans finally managed to secure their control over this place.

Counterattacks of German tanks were repulsed by "accurate and heavy" fire of Polish AT guns. At a time Poles directly threatened the post of one of German artillery batteries. At another time, Generalmajor Strumpff and Oberst Angern were both forced to commit HQs of their brigades to support German combat units in repulsing Polish attacks.

All of this and more on combats for Grupa can be found in "Geschichte der 3 Panzer- Division. (...)".

The website of Grupa Górna also says that combats on 04.09.1939 were day-long:
Some excerpts on combats in the Świecie Pocket (Schwetz Pocket) on 3 - 4 IX and later from "Polskie Siły Zbrojne w drugiej wojnie światowej", vol. I ("Kampania wrześniowa 1939") , part II (period 1 - 8 IX), pp 110 - 113:

"(...) W źródłach - tak polskich, jak i niemieckich - zarysowują się dość wyraźnie cechy walk w kotle świeckim. Także i Niemcy, działając na dużym obszarze, rozdrobnili się w ciągu dnia, skutkiem czego zmagania przyjęły charakter bezładnej walki małych oddziałów, w której ruchliwość i opancerzenie dawały stronie niemieckiej ogromną przewagę. W zachowaniu się oddziałów i żołnierzy polskich spotykamy się z kontrastami nieraz wręcz skrajnymi. Na tle wyczerpania fizycznego i poczucia olbrzymiej niższości w uzbrojeniu są oczywiście wypadki załamania się. Ale z drugiej strony gorycz z powodu klęski, która nastąpiła tak szybko zamiast spodziewanego zwycięstwa, w połączeniu z żywiołową nienawiścią do napastnika, wytwarzała także nastroje całkowicie odwrotne. W wielu wypadkach odnosi się wrażenie, że żołnierze starali się za wszelką cenę wydobyć się z matni, aby następnie móc wziąć odwet za doznaną klęskę, a odcięci i skazani na zagładę niejednokrotnie robili wszystko, aby tryumf kosztował wroga możliwie jak najdrożej. Toteż nie brak w tych walkach przykładów wspaniałego męstwa i żołnierskiego poświęcenia. Nawet żołnierze oderwani od swych oddziałów spieszyli do boju i walczyli ofiarnie wszędzie, gdzie chodziło o otwarcie sobie drogi przez nieprzyjaciela. Są wzmianki o oddziałach kawalerii, które szarżowały na przepadłe, nie oglądając się na straty, aby tylko wydobyć się z zaciskających się kleszczy niemieckich. Artyleria broniła swych dział do ostatka. W tych warunkach krwawe straty polskie były bardzo duże** (...) Tu i ówdzie poddawano się Niemcom, przeważnie jednak po całkowitym zużyciu i zniszczeniu środków walki i w stanie zupełnego wyczerpania fizycznego i psychicznego. Gdzie indziej dowódcy dzielili swoje oddziały na coraz mniejsze grupy i grupki z rozkazem przebijania się względnie przekradania się przez nieprzyjaciela bądź na południe ku Bydgoszczy, bądź ku Wiśle z myślą o przeprawieniu się, mimo wszystkich przeszkód, na wschodni brzeg rzeki. Toteż w ciągu całego dnia przeprawiały się przez Wisłę w rejonie Świecie - Chełmno grupki luźnych żołnierzy i mniejsze oddziały. (...) Już od godzin południowych począwszy niemieckie czołgi i piechota na samochodach zaczęły patrolować zachodni brzeg Wisły, biorąc podchodzące do rzeki i przeprawiające się wojska pod ogień broni maszynowej i dział z wysokiej skarpy wiślanej. Równocześnie lotnictwo niemieckie bombardowało niemal nieustannie oba brzegi i wszelkie próby przeprawy. Sytuacja przedstawiała się więc rozpaczliwie, ale mimo tego żołnierze przeprawiali się przez cały dzień z pogardą śmierci i z zaciętym uporem. (...) Szwadron 3/16 puł zdołał przy pomocy kilku łodzi zorganizować regularną przeprawę żołnierzy i rynsztunku bojowego, a równocześnie przeprawiono wpław część koni. Ale w trakcie tej akcji nadjechali Niemcy, zniszczyli osłonę przeprawy i zadali ciężkie straty przeprawiającym się plutonom. Również z wielkimi stratami przeprawiły się części 8 psk, 18 puł i 2 pszwol. (...) działania drobnych oddziałów polskich przeciągnęły się jeszcze o wiele [dni] dłużej. W marszu na Grudziądz płk dypl. Alikow odrzucił pod Jeżewem niemieckie czołgi. Po drodze dołączały do niego wciąż mniejsze i większe grupy z rozbitych oddziałów. Przybyło też gros spieszonego już 16 puł (jako zwarty oddział). Na terenie obozu ćwiczebnego "Grupa" natrafiono na większe siły npla zagradzające drogę do Wisły. Wywiązała się walka, która trwała do wieczora. Oddziały polskie, mimo znużenia i braku wszelkiego zaopatrzenia, biły się z ogromną zaciekłością, tak że Niemcy - jak widać z ich relacyj - nie zdawali sobie sprawy z tego, że mają przed sobą już tylko oddziały przeważnie zaimprowizowane z rozbitków. Koszary w Grupie przechodziły trzykrotnie z rąk do rąk. Polacy posunęli się naprzód i przed zmierzchem widzieli już Wisłę i zbawczy most pod Grudziądzem (...) wkrótce otrzymano wiadomość, że Grudziądz jest już zajęty (...) Znowu więc dzielono się na coraz mniejsze grupy i usiłowano przedostać się bądź to do Wisły, bądź to w kierunku Bydgoszczy. Większość grup wyłapali Niemcy w najbliższych dniach, ale niektóre oddziały polskie wykazały wielką wytrwałość i zwartość. Taka np. kompania 11/50 pp uległa dopiero 8 września nad Brdą w rejonie na pn.-zach. od Bydgoszczy, dostając się do niewoli niemieckiej w składzie 168 żołnierzy. Były też oddziały, które pozostały w Puszczy [Tucholskiej] i uprawiały tam partyzantkę, przy wydajnej i ofiarnej pomocy miejscowej ludności. Doszło do tego, że około połowy września Niemcy musieli stworzyć specjalne kolumny policji i żandarmerii, wspierane czołgami i samolotami [może z czołgami przesadzili, ale wspierane były m.in. przez 218 Infanterie-Division], celem oczyszczania Borów Tucholskich. Wtedy to zaczęło się również stosowanie nieludzkich represyj w stosunku do ludności cywilnej. Ale partyzantka trwała nadal, a np. dowódca 3/34 pp ucierał się z Niemcami w lasach czerskich do połowy września, następnie zaś tropiony przez npla, przesuwał się na południe i w końcu dostał się do niewoli (...) dnia 3 października pod Maksymilanowem, wraz z resztkami swojej kompanii w składzie 1 podchorąży, 2 podoficerów i 9 strzelców. (...)

** Wymienić trzeba np. 2 szwadron 2 pszwol., którego część otoczona przez Niemców w zabudowaniach m. Kosowo nad Wisłą nie poddała się i została wybita do nogi (44). W podobny sposób jakiś podchorąży kawalerii w rejonie Osłowa - jak podaje relacja niemiecka - bronił się ze swym oddziałem do ostatka. (45)"

mika1606
Financial supporter

Post by mika1606 » 28 Nov 2011, 20:09

Dear Domen,

Thanks for yr infos. Is there a change to get an English translation?

BR, Gerhard

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 28 Nov 2011, 23:30

Hi Mika,

Here goes the translation: :wink:

"(...) In sources - both Polish and German - features of combats in the Schwetz Pocket are quite well visible. Also Germans, operating in a large area, dispersed their forces during the day, as the result of which combat operations developed into a sort of chaotic fights between small units, in which mobility and armor provided a huge superiority to the German side. In behaviour of Polish units and soldiers we can see contrasts sometimes simply extreme. Against physical exhaustion and a sense of tremendous inferiority in armament, there are of course cases of breakdown. But on the other hand the bitterness caused by defeat, which came so fast instead of expected victory, in connection with impetuous hate towards the enemy, created also completely opposite sentiments. In many cases there is an impression that soldiers tried to get out of the trap at any price, in order to be able to take revenge for the defeat they suffered, and while cut off and foredoomed they were repeatedly doing everything, to make the enemy's price for their triumph more expensive. Thus examples of wonderful soldier's bravery and dedication are not missing in these fights. Even soldiers detached from their units went to combat and fought selflessly everywhere where opening the way through enemy lines was at stake. There are records of cavalry units which charged with great bravado, not paying attention to casualties, in order to just get out of the tightening ring of encirclement. Artillery was defending its guns until the end. Under such conditions Polish bloody losses were very large** (...) Here and there Polish units were laying down their arms, but usually after complete wear and destruction of means of combats and in condition of total physical and psychical exhaustion. In other places commanders were dividing their units into smaller and smaller groups ordering them to break through or to sneak through enemy lines either to the south of Bydgoszcz, or towards the Vistula with a plan of crossing, despite all obstacles, to the eastern bank of the river. Thus during entire day groups of soldiers as well as numerous small units were crossing Vistula in the region of Schwetz - Culm. (...) Already from the afternoon hours German tanks and infantry on cars started to patrol the western bank of the Vistula, opening MG and artillery fire from positions located on high Vistula escarpment towards Polish forces approaching and crossing the river. Simultaneously Luftwaffe was almost continually bombing both banks of the river and all attempts of crossing it. The situation was desperate, but despite this soldiers continued to cross Vistula throughout entire day with contempt of death and stubborn persistence. (...) Squadron 3/16th uhlan regiment with use of several boats managed to organize a regular river crossing for soldiers and equipment, and at the same time many horses were crossed by swimming. But during this action Germans arrived, destroyed outpost left to cover the crossing and inflicted heavy losses on the platoons which were just crossing the river. Also under heavy losses parts of 8th uhlan regiment, 18th uhlan regiment and 2nd chasseur regiment managed to cross the Vistula. (...) actions of small Polish units in the Schwetz pocket lasted for much longer. During march on Grudziadz Colonel Alikow repulsed an attack of German tanks near Jeżewo. On his way constantly smaller and larger groups from destroyed units were joining his forces. Also major part of - already without any horses - 16th uhlan regiment (as a cohesive unit) joined his forces. In area of the training camp "Grupa" considerable enemy forces blocking the Vistula direction were encountered. A fight which lasted until the evening started. Polish units, despite exhaustion and lack of equipment, fought with huge ferocity, in such a way that Germans - as can be seen from their accounts - did not realize that they fought only against units mostly improvised from tatters / remnants. The barracks in Grupa were changing owner three times. The Poles then moved forward and before dusk reached the banks of the Vistula and the saving bridge near Grudziadz (...) a bit later information was received, that Grudziadz is already taken by the enemy (...) Thus once again forces were divided into smaller and smaller groups, which attempted to get either to Vistula, or to break through towards Bydgoszcz. Most of these groups were caught / captured / mopped up by Germans during the next few days, but some Polish units demonstrated great tenacity and cohesiveness. For example such a company - 11th of 50 infantry regiment - surrendered not before 8 September at the Brda river in the region north-west of Bydgoszcz, numbering 168 soldiers by the time of laying down its arms. There were also such units, which remained in the Tuchola Forests and started to conduct guerilla warfare there, with efficient and generous help from the local population. This became such a problem for the Germans that in mid-September they had to create special columns of Polizei and Gendarmerie, supported by tanks and aircrafts [maybe with tanks they exaggerated, but these police and gendarmerie units were indeed supported by regular army - for example by 218. Inf.Div.; there could have been AFVs other than tanks as well], in order to conduct mopping up operations in the Tuchola Forests. Then also employment of atrocious repressions towards civilian population started. But guerilla continued, and for example comamnder of 3rd company of 34 infantry regiment continued to fight against the Germans in the Czersk Forests until mid-September, after which - hunted by the enemy - he moved south and finally was captured on 3 October 1939 near Maksymilianowo, together with last remnants of his company, numbering at that time 1 cadet officer, 2 NCOs and 9 riflemen (...)

** We need to mention e.g. 2nd squadron of 2 chasseur regiment, part of which - surrounded by Germans in buildings of loc. Kosowo at the Vistula - didn't surrender and was completely wiped out. (44) In a similar way some officer cadet of cavalry in the region of Osłowo - as a German account says - resisted with his unit to the last man. (45)"

Best regards,
Peter

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”