Raid on the "Sender Gleiwitz" 1939

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Streckenbach
Banned

Raid on the "Sender Gleiwitz" 1939

Post by Streckenbach » 08 Sep 2009, 19:06

Hallo everybody,
anyone happen to know the wereabouts of SS Obersturmbannfuehrer Karl Hoffmann,born 1902 near Bromberg/Posen.
I sure he is dead by now,(he would be 107 )but I would like to know,what he did after the war,if he had survive.He was in 39 comander of the SS Fuehrer-und Fechtschule Bernau , from here he was leading a Einsatzgruppe on the Raid of the Sender Gleiwitz and later he became comander of the SD and Sipo Funkschule
at Schloss Gruenberg,CSR,near the little Village of Nepomuk.The last few years he was ordered to the russian front
and went back to Prag CSR later on.As far as I know he made his way out of Prag,despite the fact that everybody
from the SS at the first days after the german troops pulled out,who fell in hand of the mob was killed in a most cruely way.So as well Standartenfuehrer ,I think his name was Loercher,from the SS Junkerschule Pusin.Today it reads,he
was "hingerichtet" executed and it sounds quite normal,Trial with Judge,Attorny and Defense Attorny,Deadsentence and execution.So far so good,but it allmost never did´t happen like this.The were grabed by the mob,beaten and tortured for good a while and finally hanged on a light post,which means the dead was kind of salvation for them.I was in Prag those days,together with my good friend and comrade Sturmbannfuehrer Kurt Krebs, I made it and he disappeared.What ever happen to him I did´t know.What ever happen in those days in Prag,nobody can imagen,A bullet or any quick dead was what the people were praying for.And not only SS Soldiers,anyone who was german,also children,women,specialy "Nachrichtenhelferinnen" or german red cross nurses.Most of them were raped,while cleanig completly naked the streets and beaten to dead after all.
Thank you for your attention
Streckenbach

Spectator

Re: Raid on the "Sender Gleiwitz" 1939

Post by Spectator » 29 Oct 2009, 02:51

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1936

It looks as if he was commander of the 1st Bn 18 SS Art Rgt, and then promoted to OC 39 SS Pz Gr Rgt when Standartenfuhrer Petersen was promoted to Divisional Commander in March 1945.

DennisW

Re: Raid on the "Sender Gleiwitz" 1939

Post by DennisW » 01 Aug 2014, 00:22

What became of Hoffmann after the war?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”