10 Panzer Division & SS Das Reich 15/10/41

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Bob_Mackenzie

10 Panzer Division & SS Das Reich 15/10/41

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 28 Nov 2009, 00:49

Gents

Would anyone know which parts of these divisions faced the attack by the Soviet 20th tank brigade on the 15th oct south of Borodino?

See this map:

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps ... -18_41.jpg

Cheers

Bob

Bob_Mackenzie

Re: 10 Panzer Division & SS Das Reich 15/10/41

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 29 Nov 2009, 10:45

A friend sent me these notes he took from German Archival documents
15 October
-10 Pz, SS DR still trying to breakthrough at Yelnya and in the woods south of the highway around Yelnya, near Hill 221 SW of Artemki and near Utizy. Soviets are dug in SE of Yelnya and the west edge of Artemki and to the North. 10 Pz Div is to attack through the SS through Utizy to Psarevo and Mozhaisk. SS DR to attack to take crossroads on highway south of Mozhaisk.
- Gruppe von Hauenschild [10 Pz's tank heavy KG] to attack north of Yelnya-Borodino Station-Psarevo first objective, then to Tatarino-Mozhaisk road and then east to Mozhaisk. I/86 Motz Inf Rgt south of Klemyatino as reserve. Gruppe von Bulow [10 Pz's inf heavy KG] with II/86, most of the AT Bn, 10 Mcycl Bn, II/AR 90, II/AR 67 and all of IR 69 (motz), II/Flak 26 attached to II/86.
- SS DR to attack Artemki, halt on the line Artemki-Utizy. Enemy is strong in infantry, weak in artillery [bizarre, runing into the howitzer rgt of 32 RD plus other stuff] Reconnoiter Yudinki-Fomino fortifications. SS Deutschland Rgt to recon railroad and Semenovskoye-Borodino-Fomkino. Artillery regiment to support attack on Artemki, also the Eng Bn. Recon Bn to recon and secure Karshen-Sivkovo. SS 11 Rgt and Mcycl Bn to hold in reserve. Nebel 54 not yet deployed.
- SS Deutschland The commander of SS Das Reich, Obergruppenfürher Hauser is wounded by mortar fire in Yelnya, Oberfürher Bittrich from SS D is to replace him, while Standartenführer Wagner, CO of SS 11, takes over SS D for Bittrich. Four companies of SS D to support SS Der Führer on the highway along with one flak battery.
0830 a 600m gap has been pushed between I/Deutschland and II/Deutschland by midnight attacks
0835 enemy attacking Rogachevo
0845 1 company of III/D holding Utizy, armored cars supporting the battalion are attached to SS DF.
1000 III/D fighting for Kolotchy Station, Soviets attackinf from the woods E of Rogachevo, also S of Rogachevo
1252 strong pressure on Rogachevo from the S and E
1355 SS D requestiong reinforcements, not needed at Rogachevo
1600 last Soviet attack is driven off
Claimed Soviet losses for the day: 3 85mm AA, 1 152mm how, 2 AT, 2 inf guns, 8 HMG, 4 82mm mortar, 245 POWs, 600,000 rounds of 7.62mm ammo

Soviet account:
Main enemy attack at dawn on Utizy, main effort between the railroad and the highway. Facing the attack is 2/322, 3/322, Vorobyev's Detachment (recon bn 32, 2 bns of 154 How) and remnants of 18 TB. 2&3 Bns of 322 are forced back to Semenovskoye. A battery there of 133 Light Arty Rgt engages enemy tanks. Vorobyev's detachment retakes Artemki, loses it, retakes it again.

German tanks and motz inf almost breakthrough to the Army observation point North of Artemki, 2 AT rgts, 1 Gds Mor bn and a flamethrower co repulse them. Army CO Gen Lelyushenko wounded, replaced by Gen Govorov.

The OB I have for the Soviets shows substantially more than the stuff you got from the internet (thank you much for that). Neither mention the 150 RD, remnants thereof which broke out of the bag at Gzhatsk, and joined 18 and 19 TBs in the initial defense of the Moscow road before 12 Oct. It is referred to in the Soviet book I have as "forces of General Kalinin", but no mention of size, strength, or composition.

Bob_Mackenzie

Re: 10 Panzer Division & SS Das Reich 15/10/41

Post by Bob_Mackenzie » 15 Dec 2009, 10:29

Anyone have more detail?

Its now of academic interest as the gaming scenario I'm basing on the action is to be played today but I'd like to see if i got it right or not
Cheers

Bob

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”