17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen Photo?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Mailman

17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen Photo?

Post by Mailman » 20 Jan 2010, 18:24

I'm sure I've seen this photo before...........but am I right in assuming it shows men of the 17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen? Can anyone put names to the faces?
Attachments
gotz.JPG
gotz.JPG (58.48 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

Alanmccoubrey

Re: 17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen Photo?

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 20 Jan 2010, 19:49

Would it not be very strange to have a StuG III called Götz von Berlichingen when that was the name of the Division ?
Alan

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 20 Jan 2010, 20:55

It is showing men of 2./SS-StuGAbt "Das Reich" at Kharkov 1943. The StuG III Ausf. G, "Götz von Berlichingen", belongs to Ernst August Krag who is the man standing in the middle of the photo. From left to right: Hermann Bolte, Friedrich-Wilhelm Graun, Ernst August Krag, Wolfgang Otto and Hartmut Braun.

By the time of this photo the 17. SS-Panzergrenadierdivision had not yet been formed. Götz von Berlichingen was a German 16th century knight, known for his "iron fist", a substitute for his shot off hand. Krag fought very successfully in this vehicle and on the 9th of April 1943 he received the German Cross in Gold. Therefor this photo must have been taken after that date. Perhaps even on that date, to celebrate the award one can assume. There even exists decals for the "Götz von Berlichingen" StuG in 1/35 produced by Echelon Fine Details.

Mailman

Post by Mailman » 21 Jan 2010, 19:15

Thats a great reponse D Lowenhamn. I'm very grateful :) So much info in connection with the photo I posted. Now I can look into the individuals themselves. Cheers!

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 21 Jan 2010, 21:30

Thanks Mailman, it makes me happy that the answer helped you. I can recommend Mark Yerger's two books on German Cross in Gold-holders of Das Reich. Wolfgang Otto, Friedrich-Wilhelm Graun and Hermann Bolte would also recieve the award. He has also written a very small book about Ernst-August Krag but go after the other books first, they are absolutely filled with information.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”