Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 in Barbarossa

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Brian R

Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 in Barbarossa

Post by Brian R » 06 Aug 2010, 02:49

Gentlemen - I'm looking for help regarding Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 during the summer and fall of 1941. According to Scott Pritchett's GD books, Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 served with Großdeutschland Regiment during the campaign in France but was pulled out of the fighting before the second phase of the attack (Red). Elements (about 1 company) were separated and continued to serve with GD during the invasion of the Soviet Union. The rest of Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 served during Barbarossa but seemed to have acted as heerestruppe and possibly operated at Korps level. It appears that they served under 4th Army - can anyone confirm this? Does anyone have any info as to which units Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 served with through August/September? I have information that the unit was in "Dubrowka" during the first week in August. This may be a German translation for the town/city as I am not sure where this is in Russia (possibly in the area just north of Bryansk?).

hero.

Re: Sturm-Pionier-Bataillon 43 in Barbarossa

Post by hero. » 06 Aug 2010, 12:39

Hello Brian R !

Just to give you some hints for further research :

At least at the very start of Barbarossa, Sturm-Pi.-Btl. 43 was attached to VIII. A.K. of the 9th army.
You may have a look here :
http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/gliederungen/barbarossa.htm

I could not find any info according to the further subordinations.

There are several Dubrovka that could come into question (from a quick search with google-maps).
Some ideas below, maybe you can crosscheck with names of some other villages/places :
- 50 km NW of Bryansk (your suspicion)
- 50 km NW of Smolensk
- 100 km SW of Staraya Russa
- 20 km W of Roslavl (VIII. A.K. was roughly in that area end of July, 1941)

If the exact place is more securely specified, one could try to find the units/Korps in that area.
And (maybe) then it's possible to find another trace of Sturm-Pi.-Btl. 43.

Best regards :) ,

hero.

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 06 Aug 2010, 15:37

hero - this is great info. I appreciate your help!!

The more I think about it, the more I think the correct Dubrovka would be the one the NW of Smolensk. I don't think the Wehrmacht was as far as the Bryansk area as of the first week of August. I will keep looking... and will dig into the Korps in the area as well.

Thanks again,
B

Brian R

Post by Brian R » 08 Aug 2010, 19:53

It certainly looks like its the Dubrovka that is NW of Smolensk. From what I can see, VIII Armeekorps was fighting in that area at the time. They were driving east, just south of Vitebsk and seem to have been just north of Smolensk by early August. It makes sense that the Sturm-Pi.-Btl. 43 would have still been serving with VIII Armeekorps. My guess is that Pi.-Btl. 43 was eventually under command of 4th Army (by September). It appears that VIII Armeekorps was pulled out of the line in the Fall and sent to France. It would later serve with 6th Army and capitulate at Stalingrad.

I think it was VII Armeekorps that was fighting near Roslavl at the time.

hero.

Post by hero. » 05 Dec 2010, 02:24

Hello Brian !

I found some further informations regarding your research :
- Attached you will find a map from the division history of 5. Infantrie / Jäger-Division.
The Dubrowka I was referring to is in the upper right. (Today it should be named as Bol'shaya Dubrovka).

- I also found a reference to Sturm-Pionier-Btl. 43 here :
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=6470
It confirms that this unit was under the command of 4. Armee at the beginning of October, 1941.

HTH, best regards,

hero.
Attachments
5_Jaeg_Div_01.jpg
5_Jaeg_Div_01.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

GeorgM

Post by GeorgM » 15 Feb 2017, 15:51

Hello,

this is my first post in this Forum...
I'm from Hannover, German and my interest is the military career of my father.
My father was member of Sturm-Pionier-Bataillion 43 until 1942. After this time the Bataillion was part of the Division Großdeutschland. In the second half of 1942 he was send from Holzminden to the area of Smolensk. So the town Dubrowka you searched for must be near Smolensk. In spring 1942 the Bataillion was sent to Witebsk. After this time it was a part of GD. (14.5.1942)

Greetings
Georg

GeorgM

Post by GeorgM » 15 Feb 2017, 18:02

Sorry,
mistake, second half of 1942 is wrong, 1941 ist the right time...

Georg

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”