Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

S.S. at Stalingrad 1942

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS and Volkssturm.
Hosted by Christoph Awender.

S.S. at Stalingrad 1942

Postby ignazflores@msn.com on 26 Feb 2003 07:29

I have what may be a stupid question.
The glorious S.S. were no where to be found in the battle of Stalingrad.
Where was the S.S.?
This was the turning point of the war.
I have investigated the history but have not found an answer.
May someone answer this ?
ignazflores@msn.com
United States

Postby Sokol on 26 Feb 2003 11:07

Well, it turned out to be the "turning point", but at the time it was considered a strategic offensive - a jump-off point for an even larger offensive against Russian forces in the Caucaus. Besides, the formations of the 6th Army were considered elite, in any case. The Germans also did not expect much in the way of resistance. Throwing in SS units instead of Heer units during that particular battle would have changed little. Have a look at the Pioneer battalions sent by Hitler to demolish Soviet resistance in the city. Within 48 hours all four "special offensives" became slugging matches, which is exactly how the battle in Stalingrad was fought.
Sokol
New Zealand

Postby Polynike on 26 Feb 2003 17:17

i think the only SS unit attached to operation braunschweig was the 5th SS Wiking and this unit was invloved wiht the push into the Caucases and not with 6th's Army drive to Stalingrad and the Volga
Polynike
Gibraltar

Postby John W on 26 Feb 2003 18:51

There were no SS units in Stalingrad, though I believe that they were assembled for the failed relief attempt. The German Sixth Army was considered a very powerful force at that time (the MOST powerful on the Eastern Front if I'm not mistaken).
John W
Financial supporter
United States

Postby CHRISCHA on 26 Feb 2003 19:20

The SS Polizei Division was the closest SS unit to Stalingrad.
CHRISCHA
Financial supporter
United Kingdom

S.S. at Stalingrad

Postby ignazflores@msn.com on 27 Feb 2003 06:21

I wish to thank all who responded to my posting.
ignazflores@msn.com
United States

Postby ISU-152 on 27 Feb 2003 09:49

Sturm wrote:There were no SS units in Stalingrad, though I believe that they were assembled for the failed relief attempt.

The relief attempt consisted of the 6th, 17th Tank divisions and parts of other units. No SS present.

best regards,
Sergei
ISU-152
Ukraine

Return to Heer, Reichswehr & Waffen-SS