SS officers menacing GI POW photo...is this thing for real?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Trench_Raider

SS officers menacing GI POW photo...is this thing for real?

Post by Trench_Raider » 03 Apr 2011, 08:48

Ok, first off, allow to apologize for two things:
-I'm unsure which forum this one belongs in, so I chose to put it in the general SS forum. Any staffer should feel free to move it should it be out of place.
-I apologize if this one has been discussed before. I was unable to find anything about it with the "search" feature.

Ok, a young friend of mine posted this photo to his facebook acount. I gather it's been making the rounds of 4chan and some of the other "cess pool" forums that the kids these days like to post to. It apparently depicts some Waffen SS troops, including two officers, menacing (in a decidedly "cartoonish" manner) an American POW.

Does anyone know the background to this photo? Is it real, or is is still from a movie, a recent reenactment gag photo, or other recent reconstruction?

Thanks in advance.

TR

Harro

Re: SS officers menacing GI POW photo...is this thing for re

Post by Harro » 03 Apr 2011, 09:36

There's a long topic about this somewere in the forum and it's the other way round: SS officers who surrender their unit to the Americans close to VE-day. The photo is a still from American newsreel.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 03 Apr 2011, 13:12

Hello,

As Harro said this is a still I posted years ago. It depicts long columns of surrendered german troops and negotiations/discussions between captured german officers and US troops.
Here some more..

/Christoph

Trench_Raider

Post by Trench_Raider » 03 Apr 2011, 17:35

Harro wrote:There's a long topic about this somewere in the forum and it's the other way round: SS officers who surrender their unit to the Americans close to VE-day. The photo is a still from American newsreel.

That's amazing.

That just shows how a single split second image, taken out of it's context, can project a whole different meaning. I (and apparently others) was convinced the picture depicted SS troops playing up their sinister reputation and clowning like cartoon villains for the camera.

Thanks for putting that in context. I'll pass it along.

TR

Harro

Post by Harro » 03 Apr 2011, 18:13

My pleasure TR! :)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”