Help with Jochen Peiper's photo please

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Snarka

Help with Jochen Peiper's photo please

Post by Snarka » 13 Apr 2011, 21:49

Please look at this photo and help to identify it: when, where... I hope there is no doubt that it's indeed Jochen Peiper, because of his signature. Suppose he is the one standing on the tank.

The photo was found here: http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... Peiper.jpg

Thank you : )
Last edited by Snarka on 14 Apr 2011, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Lasse

Re: Help with Jochen Peiper's photo please

Post by Lasse » 14 Apr 2011, 06:20

Snarka wrote:Please look at this photo and help to identify it: when, where... I hope there is no doubt that it's indeed Jochen Peiper, because of his signature. Suppose he is the one standing on the tank.

Thank you : )
Actually this does not need to be Peiper at all. I have seen similair pictures as this one, with for example a Pz.Kpw "Tiger" in Aachen with a claimed signature from Michael Wittmann. If Im not wrong, the signature was also found to be fake.

Harro

Post by Harro » 14 Apr 2011, 07:13

Indeed, a Heeres PzKpfw III signed "Peiper" has been disussed in this forum too.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 14 Apr 2011, 09:20

Well I didn't think about this possibility : )

Anyway... any ideas about the photo? Maybe someone met it already and could say a word or two? Even if it is not Peiper? I guess it is impossible to say yes or no anyway, at such a distance.

Anything about the machine he is standing on?

Here is the site it was found at: http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... Peiper.jpg (I'll put the link into the main post in a sec). Unfortunately, I see no way to contact the person who uploaded the photo...

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 15 Apr 2011, 13:36

What machine is it?

Suppose this is NOT Peiper. Anything about when and where?

Harro

Post by Harro » 16 Apr 2011, 10:28

It's a PzKpfw. II and at first glance I'd say the photo is taken in Charkow in March 1943 - but at that time Peiper led an SPW battalion.

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 16 Apr 2011, 13:29

Thanks a lot! This is already something : )

As to what led Peiper, I think it shouldn't necessarily be his own vehicle. The man on the tank clearly wants a better view: he is standing and looking into binoculars. Could be any machine which happened to be nearby, imho. If that is Peiper at all.

Harro

Post by Harro » 16 Apr 2011, 17:42

Hate to burst the bubble, but Peiper isn't in that photo. You've got one from this series. Random, often well known photos with a fake autograph...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &p=1267547

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 16 Apr 2011, 18:13

Thanks for explanation, and for the examples.
You've got one from this series. Random, often well known photos with a fake autograph...
Is the photo I asked about well known? If so, would be nice to get more info. Otherwise, I just assume that this photo could be genuine, or it could be fake. The existence of many fakes doesn't prove yet that this particular one is fake too.

I'd like to hear from somebody who could say more about the photo. I know some people here at this forum have seen tons of wartime photoes, maybe someone recognizes it.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 16 Apr 2011, 18:37

Hello Snarka,

"If it walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck".. it is usually a duck. I am sure that with a little bit searching we find "your" photo easily. But why use the time when we are already pretty sure that it is one of the common fakes to get money out of the pocket of people.

/Christoph

Snarka

Post by Snarka » 16 Apr 2011, 19:31

Ok, ok : ))) I didn't mean that someone would do a special research about this! Just maybe you already met this photo somewhere.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”