Rank conversion: SS -Wehrmacht- U.S. Army

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
zhangyawei

Re:

Post by zhangyawei » 06 Apr 2009, 12:51

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Scott, I don't think there are any equalant to an SS-Reichsführer, since there were only one...

Christian
Christian, I agree with you. I consider the SS-Reichsführer is’t equalant to the Generalfeldmarschall of Wehrmacht and the General of the Army of US. Since the SS-Reichsführer is the leader of all the members, not only for Waffen-SS. His status seems like Ernst Röhm, the StabsChef of the SA.
zhang

Max Williams

Re: Rank conversion: SS -Wehrmacht- U.S. Army

Post by Max Williams » 06 Apr 2009, 15:21

zhangyawei wrote:
Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Scott, I don't think there are any equalant to an SS-Reichsführer, since there were only one...

Christian
Christian, I agree with you. I consider the SS-Reichsführer is’t equalant to the Generalfeldmarschall of Wehrmacht and the General of the Army of US. Since the SS-Reichsführer is the leader of all the members, not only for Waffen-SS. His status seems like Ernst Röhm, the StabsChef of the SA.
zhang
Max Williams wrote:The common mistake with SS senior ranks is also made here and is perpetuated throughout many studies.
From Standartenführer the correct equivalents are:

SS-Standartenführer; Oberst; Colonel;
SS-Oberführer; No equivalent; No equivalent;
No equivalent; No equivalent; Brigadier General (Brigadier British Army);
SS-Brigadeführer; Generalmajor; Major General;
SS-Gruppenführer; Generalleutnant; Lieutenant General;
SS-Obergruppenführer; General; General;
SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer; Generaloberst; No equivalent;
No equivalent; Generalfeldmarschall; General of the Army (Field Marshal British Army);
Reichsführer-SS; No equivalent; No equivalent;

The rank of Reichsführer-SS was a political appointment, not a military one, but it was accorded the same status and priveledges as Generalfeldmarschall.
There was also the most senior German military rank of Reichsmarschall, uniquely created by Hitler for Hermann Göring.
Max.
Did you see this post?
Max.

JJeppsson

Post by JJeppsson » 06 Apr 2009, 15:49

Note; Standarten-Oberjunker = Officer Candidate
Example;

Notice collar Tabs.

genstab

Post by genstab » 07 Apr 2009, 01:07

Exactly, Max. I've posted before about this. The US Army in all their so called wisdom tries to say that since there was no WW2 German Army Brigadier General rank, then the lowest German rank, Generalmajor, is equal to a US Brigadier General and a German Generalleutnant equivalent to a US Major General. It matters not to these cretins that a Generalmajor as does a US Major General normally commands a division where a US Brigadier General normally does not and a Generalleutnant or US Lieutenant General is eligible to move up to a Corps. Therefore, a General der (branch of service) is considered a full General in Germany (or it was in WW2- now I realize the Bundeswehr has realigned its ranks with the US including a Brigadegeneral rank) and the rank of Generaloberst had no US/British equivalent, being between full General and Field Marshal/US General of the Army. The British equated it this way up till after World War II and then bent toward the US Army's version- I don't know why because it's ignorant.

Best regards,
Genstab
former sailor, natch

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 07 Apr 2009, 09:25

In 1939, Brigades tended to be commanded by either an Oberst but sometimes a Generalmajor. The majority of the divisions was commanded by a Generalleutnant, with some by a Generalmajor. The corps were mostly commanded by a General der ..., with an occasional Generalleutnant .

In the US Army, brigade commanders were brigadier generals, division commanders were major generals, and corps commanders were lieutenant generals. Exceptions, especially in 1941 before full US mobilization, existed.

This is a topic that comes up again and again. One side insists upon an exact definition, the other says it is a matter of how the generals were used. I tend to lean towards the latter: one can give an approximation, but an exact equivalent — or total satisfaction — will not be achieved.

My 2 Eurocents.
Peace
Leo

genstab

Post by genstab » 07 Apr 2009, 10:56

I agree, Doctor. Your knowledge of military history certainly transcends mine.

I would add one thing- you initially were talking about 1939. At that time there weren't the divisions to go around in the German Army so some brigades were commanded by Generalmajors. Also, senior generals were slightly more plentiful and Armies weren't so some Generals of branches (considered a German full General) commanded Corps, which in wartime were commanded initially by senior Generalleutnants, eventually promoted to full Generals. Also a full General would command an Army but were often raised to Generaloberst after experience and/or success.

There was a parallel problem in the US Army, with the traditional hesitation to embrace militarism. No US officer had a permanent peacetime appointment higher than Major General/Rear Admiral. High positions carried only temporary promotions and on retirement they would revert to two-star rank. This even happened to Douglas Macarthur though on retirement he was appointed a FIeld Marshal of the Philippine Republic before the war justified calling him back to US service and being promoted to first three star and then four star rank again.

During the war US Corps were commanded by Major Generals and Armies by Lt Generals until about 1944 when promotions began catching up with the job. I think of Patton and Bradley, among the most successful, and how long it took to get their third and fourth stars despite their responsibilities. This was due to the necessity of the President sending nominations to Congress of course- and what Marshall felt he could recommend and get (Patton blotted his copybook occasionally but Bradley stood out). The addition of five star rank helped Army commanders finally obtain the justified four star rank and Lt. Generals three stars. I would submit however that excessive rank isn't good for present day America. The only four star officers should be Chiefs of Staff/Chief of Naval Operations and theater commanders. Now they are all over the place; the Deputy CofS and CNO also have four stars and many other officers also. This isn't justified and promotes militarism. However, I would submit that an officer should be entitled to retire at his current rank if held more than two years and not be reduced to permanent two star rank. With the size of our military and the responsibility and importance of their experience to the nation justify this.

Best regards,
Genstab
once a piddly NCO
but a citizen by God

zhangyawei

Post by zhangyawei » 07 Apr 2009, 12:17

Max Williams wrote:
zhangyawei wrote:

Christian
zhang
Max Williams wrote:The common mistake with SS senior ranks is also made here and is perpetuated throughout many studies.
From Standartenführer the correct equivalents are:

SS-Standartenführer; Oberst; Colonel;
SS-Oberführer; No equivalent; No equivalent;
No equivalent; No equivalent; Brigadier General (Brigadier British Army);
SS-Brigadeführer; Generalmajor; Major General;
SS-Gruppenführer; Generalleutnant; Lieutenant General;
SS-Obergruppenführer; General; General;
SS-Oberst-Gruppenführer; Generaloberst; No equivalent;
No equivalent; Generalfeldmarschall; General of the Army (Field Marshal British Army);
Reichsführer-SS; No equivalent; No equivalent;

The rank of Reichsführer-SS was a political appointment, not a military one, but it was accorded the same status and priveledges as Generalfeldmarschall.
There was also the most senior German military rank of Reichsmarschall, uniquely created by Hitler for Hermann Göring.
Max.
Did you see this post?
Max.
Sorry

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”