Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland Jan.1945 OOB

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Reinholt

Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland Jan.1945 OOB

Post by Reinholt » 14 Jul 2012, 18:45

I have read a few places that the Führer-Begleit-Division was never part of Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland. However I was reading a book recently and it had the following image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It says that this was the order of battle for Pz.Korps GD on Jan. 1945.

Is this correct and if it is was the Führer-Grenadier-Division ever part of Pz.-Korps GD as I seen to remember FGD & FBD were involved in the same battle on the eastern front.

donwhite

Re: Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland Jan.1945 OOB

Post by donwhite » 23 Jul 2012, 12:10

I think it might be a case of all the units listed as being part of the GD 'verband' as opposed to a cohesive Korps with attendant units. Prior to the onset of the Soviet January offensive PzG Div 'Großdeutschland' & Pz.Gren.Div. 'Brandenburg' & the support units described were organising in East Prussia under the newly form Pz-Korps HQ 'GD' but in distinctly different geographical areas. 'GD' was to the rear of 2nd Army while 'BrB was to the rear of 4th Army. When the Soviet offensive started PzG Div 'BrB' shipped south with Fsch-Pz.Div. 'HG' 1 under the 'GD' Pz Korps HQ to assist Army Group 'A'. PzG Div 'GD', sPz Abt 'GD' and other remaining Korps units stayed put with Army Group 'Mitte' eventually fighting under Fsch-Pz.Korps 'HG' HQ. I think The remaining units ('Führer-Begleit' & 'Führer-Grenadier') in the chart only appeared in the Pomeranian area under Army group Vitsula during Feb'45 after transferring from the west. ' See Kamen Nevenkin's Book on Panzer Divisions "Fire Brigades".

Cheers

RFVD11

Post by RFVD11 » 23 Jul 2012, 20:31

I think it was planned for the FG and FB divisions to be placed under the Führerpanzerkorps. Although it never happened; I remember seeing an OB of the planned corps, but forgot where I saw it. Can anyone help.
Thanks

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 24 Jul 2012, 09:15

The Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland {abbreviated GD} was officially ordered created (OKH/OrgAbt/Nr. I/21020/44 gKdos dated 28.09.1944) to comprise the Panzergrenadier-Division Grossdeutschland and the Panzergrenadier-Division Brandenburg {abbreviated BDB}. All PzK units received the number 500. Most units were merely redesignations of existing units. In actual fact, the GD PzK was not raised until 20.12.1944. By then, however, geographical considerations and the catastrophic situation on the East Front prevented many units and even the PzG Div GD itself from joining the PzK, and the PzK GD faced the Soviet Weichsel offensive with the PzGrenDiv Brandenburg and the 1. Fallschirm-PzDiv Hermann Göring. The corps units went into action under strength and badly trained. (Note that the Panzergrenadier-Division Grossdeutschland was a non-standard division and had extra units even in late 1944 and 1945, and in actual fact had been a very strong Panzer-Division ever since 1943.) However, the creation of the PzK GD meant that several of these extra units were lost, such as the Sturmgeschütz-Brigade GD, which was transferred to the Panzergrenadier-Division Brandenburg, and the III./Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment GD, which was used to form the artillery regiment of the PzK GD, etc. In turn, the PzK quickly lost units that could not join it, such as the PzPionBtl 500 which became PionBtl 124, II./Artillerie-Regiment 500 which became III/ Artillerie-Regiment 124 (both of the Führer-Grenadier-Division), etc.

For others, see
1945 Panzerkorps (neuer Art)

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 02 Jul 2015, 18:47

Recently I am interested in PG Division Brandenburg 's campaign in 1945. On Jan 1 1945, I know Brandenburg possessed not AFV. Its main armoured units : Panzerjager Abteilung and Stu.Ges.Brig. Grossdeutschland were still in the rear and waited for their StuG IV and StuG III respectively. I never find any their StuG III & IV operational status during and after Vistula Oder offensive. I would like to ask if any member had their StuG operational status during mid January - early February 1945 ?

AHK

Post by AHK » 03 Jul 2015, 00:03

I once saw the proposed Fuhrerpanzerkorps OB. Could someone post it?
Thanks,
AHK

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 03 Jul 2015, 08:10

Panzer-Grenadier-Division was intentionally weakened by German command. Many units were taken away to bolster up other division. Stu.Gesch.Brig. Großdeutschland was detached to support PG-Division Brandenburg. II./Pz.Regiment Großdeutshcland ( PzIV & Jagdpanzer IV L70 (A)) was incorporated into Führer-Begleit-Division. Pz.Pi.Btl. GD was reduced from 4 kompanies to 3 kompanies. One of artillery Abteilung was detached to bolster up Korps Artillery Regiment 500.

I know and I./Korps-Füsilier-Regiment Großdeutschland and Feldersatz-Regiment 500 was under PG-Division GD control in the very last period of war. Anyone also know if Korps-Artillerie-Regiment 500 (10,5 cm leFH 18) was also under GD command or under Brandenburg command when both divisions was separated in different locaions ?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”