LAH Panzerspähzug Location, 1938

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
stoveb

LAH Panzerspähzug Location, 1938

Post by stoveb » 15 Aug 2012, 05:21

Hi guys,

I recently got a photo of a SdKfz 231 of the LAH in a town square, and the photo has to have been taken between the unit getting this type of vehicle, October 1937, and before the move into the Sudetenland, October 1938 when the vehicles had a specific type of Balkenkreuz applied to the nose of the vehicle.

I was wondering if anyone might recognise the church in the background? Also can anyone read the info on the back of the photo, unfortunately partially destroyed when the photo was removed from the album (not by me).

To me it reads "(Unreadable) greets (Unreadable) in the style of the 17th Kompanie"

Is the word actually 'Mundart' on the end of the second line?

Thanks for any help with this.

Cheers
Steve
Attachments
SdKfz 231_1089_Pre-war_Ballantyne_back.JPG
SdKfz 231_1089_Pre-war_Ballantyne_church.jpg
SdKfz 231_1089_Pre-war_Ballantyne_church.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 736 times

stoveb

Re: LAH Panzerspähzug Location, 1938

Post by stoveb » 16 Aug 2012, 14:36

Well, well, well...

Thank goodness for the internet, I googled the business name on the drug store "Isar Drogerie" and was astounded that this still exists, and it is in Plattling, near Passau in lower Bavaria.

The Church is an exact match... another puzzle solved!

This must have been taken in the period just before the Anschluss of Austria in March 1938, as the unit was near Passau at this point.

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers
Steve

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”