Panzer-Lehr-Regiment, May 1940

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
LesCM19

Panzer-Lehr-Regiment, May 1940

Post by LesCM19 » 16 Nov 2012, 16:16

I am looking into the organization and vehicles for the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment, as of the French campaign.

The following from Wehrmacht-awards.com forum:
Panzer-Lehr-Regiment "Wünsdorf".

The Panzer-Lehr-Regiment constituted the training troop of the Armored troops school; it got its new name by October 01, 1937 being composed of two detachments (Abteilungen) I. PzAbt. and II. PzJägAbt. By July 07, 1939 together with one HQ, both before mentioned Abteilungen and one motorized Abteilung from the Infanterie-Lehr-Regiment Döberitz it was constituted the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment "Wünsdorf" (I. Pz Abt.; II. mot. Abt. and III. PzJägAbt.).

Poland 1939.

At the beginning the campaign the Panzer-Lehr-Abteilung reinforced the 3. Pz-Division with its newest armored vehicles (Pz Kw III and Pz Kw IV) as requested by General Heinz Guderian. This Abteilung was shifted to the 9. Pz-Division on December 1939 and became the I./ PR 33. At the beginning of 1940 it was organized a new Panzer-Lehr-Abteilung in Wünsdorf.

France 1940.

The II. Motorized-Lehr-Abteilung was part of the Infanterie-Lehr-Regiment 900 (organized from the Infanterie-Lehr-Regiment "Döberitz) within the Pz Group Kleist; while the III. Panzer-Jäger-Lehr-Abteilung went to the 10. Pz-Division as PzJägAbt. 90. At the beginning of 1941 the Panzer-Lehr-Regiment was reunited again in Wünsdorf.
So does that mean in May 1940 it was equipped with Pz III & IV or was it formed from scratch in January 1940? (In the Niehorster charts its down as being an armoured recce/cavalry battalion in Guderian's XIXth Motorised for May 1940)
Also was it attached to the 10. PzDiv. or other?

Original post here:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... ?p=5395024
Divide & Conquer!
Les
6mm France 1940 wargamer

mika1606
Financial supporter

Re: Panzer-Lehr-Regiment, May 1940

Post by mika1606 » 21 Apr 2014, 18:35

There was no Panzer-Lehr-Abteilung in France 1940.

The old one was transfered after the Poland campaign - beginning of 1940 - to Panzer-Regiment 33 (9. Panzer-Division) as II. Abteilung.

In spring 1940 the new Cmdr of the Regiment, Oberst Ostman von der Leye began to build up a new Panzer-lehr-Abteilung. It was not part of the western campaign.

Source:H. Ritgen "Die Schulen der Panzertruppe"

Cheers Gerhard

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”