The name of Erwin Rommel's dog?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
PiretBCN

The name of Erwin Rommel's dog?

Post by PiretBCN » 17 Nov 2012, 16:46

In this film at 50:15 we can see the Desert Fox walking a small dog (a dachshund?). What was the name of this dog?
Montgomery apparently had a dog called Rommel. Maybe Rommel had a dog called Monty? :D

Last edited by Marcus on 17 Nov 2012, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected clip to be viewable in message

history1
Banned

Re: The name of Erwin Rommel's dog?

Post by history1 » 18 Nov 2012, 13:11

PiretBCN wrote:[...] we can see the Desert Fox walking a small dog (a dachshund?). [...]
Correct it´s a Dackel, also called Dachshund sometimes. Sadly I don´t have a clue about it´s name.

PiretBCN

Post by PiretBCN » 18 Nov 2012, 14:12

Maybe someone should call Manfred? :lol:

Hey, Manfred, remember the name of your papa's little doggy?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 19 Nov 2012, 01:24

PiretBCN wrote:Maybe someone should call Manfred? :lol:

Hey, Manfred, remember the name of your papa's little doggy?
Please. I know it is just an innocent joke, but nevertheless this is not the way to address the elders. There should always be a respect, even when one's joking...

Don't take this personally, many people get carried away when they are in a fun-mood, I understand that.

Cheers,
Ivan

Mr Schlug

Post by Mr Schlug » 25 Aug 2015, 00:26

Many years ago I had a girlfriend who's Father, a British Sailor during WW2, looked after Rommel's dogs after they had been captured.
Rommel had two Dachshunds called 'Monty' and 'Misr' - they were captured and eventually transported to Australia and presented to the Australian Governor.

I see pictures of the dogs about 40 years ago, and may be able to get photographs if any one is interested?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”