German forces Operation Plunder and Varsity

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Gunsche

German forces Operation Plunder and Varsity

Post by Gunsche » 14 Jan 2014, 20:28

Have been looking for information about the german forces involved in these two operations from the 23rd of march to the 28th but I haven't found anything substantional.
I knew the operation area was held by the II.Fallschirmjäger-Korps and the LXXXVI.Armee-Korps with the XXXXVII.Panzer-Korps in reserve.
I wonder what units did these corps contain? Where there any armoured battalions, tank hunters or other smaler units attached to the divisions?
Im also looking for information on the strenght and number of vehicles/guns available in the divisions.

Anything would be nice, since its seems to be very hard to find anything about the german forces during these operations.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Wiking Ruf

Re: German forces Operation Plunder and Varsity

Post by Wiking Ruf » 21 Jan 2014, 16:59

First Parachute Army had three corps stationed along the river; 2nd Parachute Corps to the north, 86th Corps in the centre, and 63rd Corps in the south. Of these formations, 2nd Parachute Corps and 86th Corps had a shared boundary that ran through the proposed landing zones for the Allied airborne divisions, meaning that the leading formation of each corps - these being 7th Parachute Division and 84th Infantry Division would face the airborne assault.
After their retreat to the Rhine both divisions were under-strength and did not number more than 4,000 men each, with 84th Infantry Division supported by only 50 or so medium artillery pieces.

The mobile reserves that the Germans did possess consisted of some 150 armoured fighting vehicles under the command of 1st Parachute Army, the majority of which belonged to XLVII Panzer Corps. Allied intelligence believed that of the two divisions that formed XLVII Panzer Corps, 116th Panzer Division had up to 70 tanks and 15th Panzergrenadier Division 15 tanks and between 20-30 assault guns. Intelligence also pointed to the possibility of a heavy anti-tank battalion being stationed in the area. However, the Germans did possess a great number of antiaircraft weapons; on 17 March Allied intelligence estimated that the Germans had 103 heavy and 153 light anti-aircraft guns, a number which was drastically revised a week later to 114 heavy and 712 light anti-aircraft guns.

:milwink:

Gunsche

Re: German forces Operation Plunder and Varsity

Post by Gunsche » 21 Jan 2014, 19:25

Wonderfull stuff Wiking!
Do you know if the the FJ StuG Brigade 12 were with the 7th FJD? Read in (I think it was) "The Last Drop" that FJs with SPGs were north of Wesel battleing the 6th UK AB, the FJ StuG Brigade 12 did serve with II.FJ Korps and elements of the 7FJ were near the 6th UK AB.

Also, I did find information about an anti-airlanding combat group called Kampfgruppe Karst that conducted limited counterattacks against the allied airborne. Was this an SS unit? Who commanded it and what was it equiped with?
So far I have that it atleast had two companies of infantry mounted in haltracks, armoured cars and assault guns.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”