What happened to them?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Zapphod

What happened to them?

Post by Zapphod » 14 Oct 2013, 23:42

[Split from "1945 Lost German girl"]

I am not sure I agree I do not consider myself obsessed with LGG and I can happily say that I don't really want to know anything more about this woman other than whether she made it home or not and it is not for any other reason than human interest, I think we see events from the past and wonder what happened to those involved.

I have the same interest in photo's like this:

or this...

as I do in LGG's identity I don't want to know where they are now or what they have done but I have an interest in knowing how immediate events turned out for those involved.

Tatzelwurm

Re: What happened to them?

Post by Tatzelwurm » 19 Jan 2014, 08:22

Zapphod wrote: I think we see events from the past and wonder what happened to those involved.

I have the same interest in photo's like this:
He has never been identifed. Lots of people claimed to be him and were debunked. Most suspect he could be from the Lancashire Fusiliers from 1916. Other candidates who he could belong to 16th Middlesex, 2nd Royal Fusiliers or possibly the Dublin Fusiilers
or this...

This one is Hans-Georg Henke
as I do in LGG's identity I don't want to know where they are now or what they have done but I have an interest in knowing how immediate events turned out for those involved.
Just joined to answer your question after coming across this thread. Would have pm'd you but didnt see a way. Sorry all for the thread derail.

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 19 Jan 2014, 15:27

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 25 Nov 2014, 19:01

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/
There are some interesting photos and stories.

dshaday

Post by dshaday » 26 Nov 2014, 13:46

Hi

Just to clarify. There is a BBC documentary about the WW1 film from which this still comes from. In it the soldier is identified using facial recognition software, but his service record does not match up. So he technically remains unidentified.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPcko8 ... 1C10A523C0

In an newspaper article about the documentary (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 05419.html) it states "The facial recognition software, more normally used by Scotland Yard to identify criminals, also came up with a positive match for another soldier in Malins's original footage. William Holland, who served with the Royal Engineers during the First Wold War, is seen carrying a wounded colleague towards the camera.

Private Holland's son, 78-year-old Maurice, joked: "It is my dad. He wasn't a hero though; he was probably in a trench puffing on a Woodbine and somebody said: 'Can you carry this man?'""

Malins's original film tells a darker story. Shortly after this scene, a caption informs the audience that the injured man died just 30 minutes later.

Regards

Dennis

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”