Photo Abum of Russian Campaign

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Photo Abum of Russian Campaign

Post by Maxschnauzer » 04 Apr 2014, 10:46

An interesting "photo diary" of Otto Willnaur recreated by his nephew:
Ow01_1.jpg
Ow01_1.jpg (14.5 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
This web page is a duplicate of my Grand Uncles photo diary of his experiences in World War II. I have attempted to present the material exactly as he prepared the original. In time, I will add links off of the original text to add my own editorial.

Otto fought on the eastern front of World War II from June 1941 to the very end of the war. Otto was in a Panzer Jaeger Battalion of an infantry division which gave him the task of hunting and killing Soviet armor. Through 1943 his unit did this using towed anti-tank guns. First with the outdated Rhinemetal 37mm and then with a unique 75mm Taperbore gun. Near the end of 1943, the 3rd Company of the battalion received the StuG IV Assault Gun.

Otto was captured by the Soviets in May of 1945 and spent the next six years in Soviet prison camps.

Otto passed away on March 17, 2002
http://www.geipelnet.com/war_albums/otto/ow_011.html
Cheers,
Max

rossmcpharter

Re: Photo Abum of Russian Campaign

Post by rossmcpharter » 04 Apr 2014, 19:22

Thanks, interestingly for me the prime movers for the 3.7cm pak appear to be French Unic p107 half tracks.

Great link, thanks for posting.

birgit hann

Re: Photo Abum of Russian Campaign

Post by birgit hann » 22 May 2017, 12:39

Hi, I'm looking for evidence of my great uncle, Josef Klimmer, who was stationed with the Panzerjäger-Abteilung 616 in Poland at the end of WWII and then went missing. I'm wondering whether your Great Uncle knew mine and what might have happened to him. I can only get to a certain stage in my search and then the track goes cold. I know he was stationed in Liebstadt and Allenstein when the Russians came. He might have been seconded into the Waffen-SS toward the end of the war.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”