German units on Netze River linie - January 1945

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Rian

German units on Netze River linie - January 1945

Post by Rian » 12 Apr 2014, 00:55

Hallo!

I'm looking for some detailed informations. I live in small town Czarnków (german Czarnikau or in 1940-45 Scharnikau). This town lie near the Noteć (german Netze) river and ex (1919-39) polish-german border. In my town people very little know about fights that was on the linie of Netze river in January 1945 and about german units which fought in January 1945 on this terrain. I'm interesting for part of this linie - between towns of Ujście (german Usch) and Wieleń (german Filehne) and naturally about my town - Czarnków (Czarnikau or Scharnikau).

In local publications are only very little informations about this fights and nothing about german units which defended this area.
We know that Soviet forces which attacked area was: 47th, 50th, 65th and 66th armoured brigades, 33rd Motorized Brigade, 35th Mechanized Brigade, 386th Motorized Artillerie Regiment. We know Soviet losses, becouse Killed from these units was buried in Czarnków (probably 274 soldiers buried) and Trzcianka (Schönlanke, north of Netze - 56 soldiers buried). But we have very little informations about fights (especially from Czarnków - in local publications are only informations that german soldiers fought against Soviet 66th Brigade in 23rd and 24th January 1945 and, that town was defended by 200 Wehrmacht soldiers (which unit????) + Volkssturm (which Battalion????).

From book "Pommern 1945" of Helmut Lindenblatt - units that fought on interesting territory:
1. Alarm-Kompanie der Kraftfahr-Ersatz- Abteilung 2 (Stettin)
2. I. Bataillon des Wehrkreis-Unterführer-Lehrgangs (WUL Neustettin) (mayby II. Battalion was also on this terrain, but mayby was on the Warthe River)
3. Teile des Alarm-Bataillons 4 (Kolberg)
4. die Alarm-Gruppe der HUS Arnswalde — 2 Kompanien Panzergrenadiere in Schützenpanzerwagen
5. 2 Batterien der I./ALR l (Groß Born)
6. Volkssturm battalion “Stolp”

+ maybe any other small units or local Volkssturm

What real strenght had these units?? What armament should have these units?? What commanders?? It was any Volkssturm unit in Landkreis Scharnikau??
If Soviet casualties was 330 KIA + probably two times more MIA and WIA (= around 1000 KIA/WIA/MIA), so these small german units fought desperately. But very small sources about this fights and any sources about casualties.

I know - that's very detailed informations. But if somebody know something, I will be very grateful.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”