a Tiger II destroyed by my uncle at Oosterbeek

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
beebs

a Tiger II destroyed by my uncle at Oosterbeek

Post by beebs » 12 Apr 2014, 13:44

Request your help to investigate details of the Tiger II tank destroyed by my uncle James Dickson at Oosterbeek.
I would really like to know what happened to the tank crew did they survive? Is there any suggestions how to contact them or their relatives. My uncle's details were as follows:

Lance-Bombardier James Henderson Dickson

Unit : "C" Troop, No.2 Battery, 1st Airlanding Light Regiment British Royal Artillery

Army No. : 884436

Awards : Military Medal

This N.C.O. of 'C' Troop, 2 Battery, accompanied Lieutenant Donaldson to a 6-pounder gun whose crew had been wiped out by a Tiger tank during an attack on C Troop's position. He layed the gun under heavy Machine Gun fire and fired eight or nine aimed rounds at the tank before the gun was destroyed by a direct hit. He then picked up Lieutenant Donaldson who had been stunned and carried him under cover and after a few minutes accompanied Lieutenant Donaldson to No.1 Gun of C Troop which was still in position although the crew had all been killed.

This gun was under heavy Machine Gun and small arms fire, but nevertheless, acting as layer he fired four aimed rounds at the tank before all armour piercing shots was expended. He was then ordered to destroy the gun by Lieutenant Donaldson. This he refused to do and continued to fire high explosive at the tank whilst Lieutenant Donaldson went in search of more armour piercing shot. When this arrived he fired more shots at the tank, laying along the bore, and succeeded in breaking its tracks before his gun jammed. Lance-Bombardier Dickson then suggested that he should go and fetch a PIAT from his Troop wagon lines. This he did and together with Lieutenant Donaldson engaged the tank but without success. Throughout the whole of the action carried out under heavy Machine Gun and small arms fire, Lance-Bombardier Dickson showed devotion to duty and determination to destroy his enemy of the highest order.

See also: Lt Adrian Donaldson.

Dunnigan

Re: a Tiger II destroyed by my uncle at Oosterbeek

Post by Dunnigan » 16 Apr 2014, 17:51

There is a nice description of the action your Uncle took to knockout the Tiger II in the excellent defendingarnhem.com website here:
http://www.defendingarnhem.com/schpzabt506.htm

I can't say for certain about the crew's fate. The photos I've seen online don't show clearly the Tiger's vehicle number. If that can be determined then it may be able to trace back to the crew that was manning it during Market Garden and see if there is any information on them through the unit's history (if any).

I may want to check Margry's Operation Market Garden: Then and Now to see if there's a clearer photo of the knocked out Tiger.

beebs

Post by beebs » 14 Jun 2014, 14:10

Hi Dunnigan,

My apologies, am just noticing your reply just now. thank you for your help. Yes the defending Arnhem site I have spotted before, I will try to look up info on the site you suggested "Margry's Operation Market Garden" rgds Robert

beebs

Post by beebs » 14 Jun 2014, 14:12

Incidentally am I correct that there was only one tiger II destroyed around this area. I understand the Germans did not want to lose another and therefore did not send through anymore?? Robert

arnhem44

Post by arnhem44 » 05 Aug 2014, 09:25

Hi Robert, James is my Grandfather and i have moe infortmation if you want to make contact i can be reached on [email protected]

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”