Crewmen in a Sturmmörser Zug – KStN 1161

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Richard Hedrick

Crewmen in a Sturmmörser Zug – KStN 1161

Post by Richard Hedrick » 19 Apr 2014, 11:56

I am trying to establish the actual roles of the members in a Sturmmörser platoon.

All sources I have seen, including Panzer Tracts, indicates a crew of 5. However when I examine the KStN it seems to maybe say something different. The KStN below shows the total compliment of the platoon as 13. I realized later that I had cropped out the numbers of Sturmmörser but this would be for two vehicles.

So after accounting for the motorcycle messenger there are 12 men remaining. As can be seen the KStN identifies 2 commanders, 2 drivers, 2 radio operators (MG gunner) and 4 loaders. Assuming that one of the loaders is also the gunner this accounts for what is a standard crew of 5. However we are left with 2 observation NCOs (also radio operator). Was this an actual crewmember or employed external to the vehicle? If employed outside the vehicle it would seem logical to include some form of transportation for this position but none is indicated on the KStN. If transportation was provided by the Kompanietrupp why not just make them a member of the Kompanietrupp? If an actual crew member why do most references indicate a crew of 5 and was there room/positions for 6 crewmembers inside this vehicle?

Thanks for any insight into this question.
Richard
Sturrmmörser_platoon.jpg
Sturmmörser Zug

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”