Order by Kluge on 2 July 1941

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Linden Lyons

Order by Kluge on 2 July 1941

Post by Linden Lyons » 19 Apr 2014, 12:59

I have encountered references to an order issued by Field-Marshal Kluge on 2 July 1941 to Panzer Groups 2 (Colonel-General Guderian) and 3 (Colonel-General Hoth). As I understand it, it instructed the two panzer groups to drive on Smolensk and then Moscow. However, I cannot track down a copy of this order.

(1) If this order exists and if someone has a copy of it, could they please post it? I am interested in the German-language version, but an English translation would also be good.

(2) The following phrase apparently appears in this order: 'scharfe Zusammenfassung'. My guess is that it refers to the combination of the two panzer groups for their attack. Is this correct, and what is the best translation for this phrase?

(I was unsure if I should have posted this here or to the 'Breaking the Sound Barrier' forum. Perhaps the forum administration can decide.)

GregSingh

Re: Order by Kluge on 2 July 1941

Post by GregSingh » 21 Apr 2014, 10:18

Hi,

This is not an order, just another reference to one. But it sounds like "cut and paste" of the original thing...
It's from Pz.Gr.3 KTB:

00,00 Uhr

Unterstellung der Pz.Gr.3 unter 4.Panzer-Armee.

Diese Regelung erschien zweckmässiger als die andere Möglichkeit, die eine Pz.Gruppe der anderen zu unterstellen. Der Ob. des A.O.K.4 gab seiner Absicht Ausdruck, beide Pz.Gr. zum Stoss über Smolensk nach Moskau scharf zusammenzufassen und dort Kräfte nachzuschieben, wo es am raschesten vorwärtsginge. Er erwartete dies bei Pz.Gr.3. Die Zusammenfassung der Pz.Gruppen unter A.O.K.4 hat sich jedoch auch nicht befriedigt. Es fehlte diesen an der Erfahrung in der Führung schneller Truppen, auch konnte es schliesslich bei der Ausdehnung der Front nur durch Weisungen, nicht anders als die H.Gr. selbst, führen.

NARA T-313 Roll 225 Frame 7489011

Linden Lyons

Post by Linden Lyons » 21 Apr 2014, 11:54

GregSingh wrote:This is not an order, just another reference to one ... from Pz.Gr.3 KTB: '... Unterstellung der Pz.Gr.3 unter 4.Panzer-Armee ... Der Ob. des A.O.K.4 gab seiner Absicht Ausdruck, beide Pz.Gr. zum Stoss über Smolensk nach Moskau scharf zusammenzufassen und dort Kräfte nachzuschieben, wo es am raschesten vorwärtsginge ...'
This is very helpful. Thank you!

How would you translate 'scharf zusammenzufassen' in the context of this passage?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 21 Apr 2014, 13:50

"strongly combined", perhaps

But could be more to it. Guys in Breaking the Sound Barrier section might have better ideas.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 21 Apr 2014, 17:10

GregSingh wrote:"strongly combined", perhaps
in english it would probably be more like "closely coordinated"

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”