AFV codes in German records

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tom Peters

AFV codes in German records

Post by Tom Peters » 21 Aug 2014, 01:39

In a document I am reviewing (T311 R018 f7019858 - see attached), codes are used to identify types of different AFV. However, I am unfamiliar with some of the codes: R, H2, H3 and Blg. Does anyone know what these stand for ?

Furthermore, some entries have an "a" or "c" prefix. Does this indicate short and long term repair ?

FInally, what does the number before the slash mean ?
T311R018F7019858.jpg
thanks,

Mad Dog

NagaSadow

Re: AFV codes in German records

Post by NagaSadow » 21 Aug 2014, 16:16

I once decoded the codes by using other strength reports, so no guarantee that my interpretation is correct.

R = 7,5 cm Pa.K.40
H2 = Wespe
H3 = Hummel
Blg is X0 lg i.e. 2. SS-Pz.Div. 2/ 30 lg
2/ means available i think, a operational, b short term, c long term repair.

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 22 Aug 2014, 02:10

Thanks for the information. I am baffled as to why they used certain codes.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Mr.No one

Post by Mr.No one » 22 Aug 2014, 19:32

This is a citation from Niklas Zetterling's book Normandy 1944, page 6:

"A problem that may be encountered when using archival documents is that information may be coded. This may not have been done for security reasons. Rather, it may have been to keep reports to be transmitted as short as possible. An example of this are the reports on tank strength discussed above. In these reports a letter, or a letter and a digit indicate types of tanks. Tigers are represented by an E, Panthers by a D, the Panzer IV with L43 or L48 gun by C2, StuG (Sturmgeschütze) by G1, JagdPz (Jagdpanzer) IV by G2, Marder by H1 and StuPz (Sturmpanzer) IV by J. Similarly, 7.5 cm antitank guns are represented by the letter P and 88 mm antitank guns by Q"

"Sometimes staff members were too sloppy when writing the documents. An example is the coding of the Panzer IV with the long 75 mm gun as described above. Sometimes the code CL was used rather than C2. The L probably stands for "lang" or long-barreled gun. However, this is sometimes written in the reports by using the small "l". This is very confusing since it looks almost identical to C1 (C-one). The latter is the code for the old Panzer IV with the short-barreled 75 mm gun."

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Sean
Believe in truth!

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 22 Aug 2014, 21:05

Sean, thanks for the reference, but thats actually the same place I learned most of the codes (quite a good book). I suspect the AFV codes were more of an art than a science.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Mr.No one

Post by Mr.No one » 22 Aug 2014, 22:46

Your welcome, and sorry for not seeing your main question...

Anyway, it is certainly important to get all their codes unveiled so as to help other researchers conducting research in primary documents!

Sean
Believe in truth!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”