III. SS-Panzerkorps HQ movements sept 44-jan 45?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Jebir

III. SS-Panzerkorps HQ movements sept 44-jan 45?

Post by Jebir » 08 Oct 2014, 21:45

Hello there

I am trying to "follow" a danish volunteer who was part of a company attached to a securitycompany (sicherungskompanie) of the HQ-unit in the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps (Steiner).

I have some mentions of the company in the period mentioned in the title, but was hoping someone could shed a bit more light on the subject, or lead me to a source where I can find more. What I have is from Tieke's "Tragedy of the faithful", so I'm looking for info from other sources.

The dates and places in question is;

22/9-1944 The Korps HQ has allegedly spent the night in Tigurgas (near Riga)
- where in Tigurgas, and are there any accounts of this?

28/9-1944 - III. (Germ.) SS-Panzerkorps gets in position north of Doblen (Dobele)
- North of Doblen is quite a large area. Any specific areas that are known?

Around 5-6/10 1944 a "Sperrgruppe" named Schäfer is deployed at Autz (Auce). Besides the Sicherungskompanie, it is comprised of combat-engineers from SS-Division "Nordland" and SS-Panzer-Brigade "Nederland", plus SS-Panzeraufklärungsabteilung 11 and 1./SS-Artillerie-Regiment 54.
- ANY information about this Sperrgruppe or locations is appreciated.

Around or just after Autz mentioned above - October 1944.
Sperrgruppe Schäfer is sent to Moscheiken (today Mazeikiai). Stationed between the 32. and 201. Infanterie-Division.
- ANY information about this is appreciated.

10/10-1944 Joins up with the III. (Germ.) SS-Panzerkorps in the area around Skuodas-Preekuln.
- Where were the HQ and it's attached units stationed during these battles?

29/1-1945 shipping out from Libau (Liepãja) to Stettin.
- This is 3 months after Skuodas-Preekuln. What went on in these 3 months when it comes to HQ and attached units?

Hope to get some more information. As you can see, I am trying to find the company's route Riga to Libau, and since the unit in itself is not described very well, I am hoping the HQ-movements can help me a bit along.

Thanks in advance :-)

BramvanS

Re: III. SS-Panzerkorps HQ movements sept 44-jan 45?

Post by BramvanS » 14 Oct 2014, 22:46

Between October 1944 and end January 1945 the III. SS-Panzerkorps was stationed near Preekuln, defending the line Preekuln Skuoda. The HQ of the III. SS-Panzerkorps was I think somewhere (north)west of Preekuln.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”