Waffen-SS Military Success - Operation Panzerfaust 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Rob - wssob2

Re: Waffen-SS Military Success - Operation Panzerfaust 1944

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 11 Nov 2014, 14:47

I mean every post on Waffen-SS Military Success is being attacked and put down to insignificance. Can we at least come to some understanding and unbiased appraisal.
Through historical research and debate, we're seeing that Waffen-SS military performance in specific cases isn't as good as frequently portrayed in postwar pop history.

So I think we are scrutinizing a bias that has crept into postwar historiography - a bias that the Waffen-SS was "elite" and militarily superior.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 11 Nov 2014, 16:57

I think the contention is whether the SS achieved better performance with roughly identical resources.
Germanicus wrote:I am starting to gain a valuable insight through reading, the writings of some, that it would be safe to say that the Waffen-SS achieved nothing of significance during the period 1939-1945.. that it would be useless to even bring up the Waffen-SS Military Success"

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 12 Nov 2014, 07:03

I appreciate that what both of you have stated - My understanding of the post was Waffen-SS Military Success.. was certain Battles or events involving the waffen-SS a success... For instance The Third Battle of Kharkov for instance or even Demyansk.. maybe the post should have been Waffen-SS v Heer, then I can gain a better understanding.

Thank you for your response

Mark

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Nov 2014, 14:27

Hi Germanicus,

A recurring problem here on AHF is that disputable thread titles are often phrased as factual statements - thus "Waffen-SS Military Success - Operation Panzerfaust 1944".

I have repeatedly asked for a question mark to be inserted in such disputable thread titles, but on every single occasion this has been rejected by AHF administration.

I would suggest that his thread, for instance, could more usefully read "Waffen-SS Military Success? - Operation Panzerfaust 1944" to reflect the questionable nature of this proposition.

There have been or are a lot of people with a vested interest in boosting the Waffen-SS, from Himmler and Goebbels during the war, through post-war Waffen-SS old comrades groups and memoirs by veterans, to a whole corner of the Anglo-Saxon publishing and reenactment industries today, through to entire forums on the internet. As a result, Waffen-SS boosting has a long and effective history and its result is a dispropoprtional interest in the Waffen-SS at the expense of the far more significant role of the German Army.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”