OKH's "Eastern Front Study Group"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
CNE503

OKH's "Eastern Front Study Group"

Post by CNE503 » 16 Feb 2015, 16:03

Hello,

Reading Robert Kirchubel's Operation Barbarossa 1941, I was surprised to see in his chronology the following sentence: "18 June (1940): Halder sets up Eastern Front Study Group".

I understand it as a first step in OKH to prepare an attack against the USSR more than one month before Hitler's decision to do so (between July 29th and July 31st, 1940). But what was this group? Official name? Composition? Works done?
I didn't find any specific mention about it in Halder's diary.

Thanks for your help,
Cheers,

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

CNE503

Re: OKH's "Eastern Front Study Group"

Post by CNE503 » 20 Feb 2015, 21:50

No one heard something about this "study group"? It is an important step concerning Germany's will to attack the USSR, and it seems odd that nobody detected it before. So I'd be pleased to know what was Kirchubel's source about it...

Cheers,

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 06 Mar 2015, 20:22

I dig up this thread to try another time.

Has anyone some clue about this "study group"?

Cheers,

CNE503

Paul_Atreides

Post by Paul_Atreides » 07 Mar 2015, 00:13

"As part of the reduction of the existing approximately 155 major formations to the size of the transitional army, the Army High Command envisaged the transfer of 15 battle-worthy divisions to the east, to protect the frontier; simultaneously the formations of the command-in-chief East were to be dissolved.

Although the transfer of divisions after the conclusion of a campaign was a perfectly normal procedure, it was then acquiring special importance in view of the major upheavals in the political scene in the Baltic countries and in Romania. On 18 June Halder discussed with Major (General Staff) Reinhard Gehlen (then still in the Home Fortification Department but shortly afterwards assigned to the 'Eastern Group' of the Army General Staff) what he expected of those divisions. Halder's diary notes make it perfectly clear than he envisaged an offensive type defense; further strengthening of fortifications was therefore to be continued only on a reduced scale".
(Germany and the Second World War. Vol. IV. P. 240)
There is no waste, there are reserves (Slogan of German Army in World Wars)

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 07 Mar 2015, 01:28

Thank you. I assume from your source that it only means that Halder tasked Gehlen about the future 18. Armee redeployment on the eastern borders as Major Reinhard Gehlen was entitled since he was a member of the OKH Adjudantur (as of June 12th, 1940) specifically delegated with Eastern military matters.

It makes perfect sense, and explains what was this "Eastern Front Study Group" (only a permanent cell of the Operationsabteilung in the OKH).

Thanks again,
Cheers,

CNE503

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”