Vidmo SS unit?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Chlebus

Vidmo SS unit?

Post by Chlebus » 17 Feb 2015, 21:27

Hello

I have a question for you:
I found this article form newspaper "Trybuna Robotnicza" from 22 December 1946 in which is mentioned my uncle:

(...) Kiled Chlebus Adam, nickname "Kret", S.S. member and soldier of 5th Germany Division "Sudetes" (...).

The original text:
(...) Zabity został Chlebus Adam, pseudonim "Kret", członek tej samej formacji S.S. i żołnierz 5-tej niemieckiej dywizji sudeckiej. (...).

I can't find any information about that 5th Germany Division "Sudetes".

Did that Division really existed whether it is a figment of communist propaganda?
My uncle served in the S.S. from june 1944 - I don't know in which military unit - I have only scan his image.
He lived in Świętoszówka - a village in Community Jasienica, Bielsko County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland.
Hard to read from a photo where he served, especially that the text on the back is blurred.

Thank you very much for any help.
Peter
Attachments
Chlebus Adam.jpg
Chlebus Adam.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Adam front.jpg
Adam back.jpg

hucks216

Re: Vidmo SS unit?

Post by hucks216 » 18 Feb 2015, 13:25

The only SS-Division numbered '5' was the 5. SS-Panzer-Division 'Wiking'. Maybe they are confusing 5th Germany Division with the Germania Regiment (SS-Pz.Grenadier-Regiment 9 'Germania') which was a component of Wiking.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 18 Feb 2015, 14:37

Both Adam Chlebus and Wiktor Gruszczyk were members of V. SS-Artillerie Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Regiment
I think whoever saw that name in 1946 did not care much what unit was that and just called it 5th SS-Division.

Chlebus

Post by Chlebus » 18 Feb 2015, 15:13

Thank you for quick reply.
But how does it 5th SS Division to V. SS-Artillerie Ausbildungs und Ersatz Regiment? And what about name "Sudetes"?
Greg probably you have right saying that someone just called it 5th SS Division.
Now the question is whether they could serve together in the same unit despite the fact that Adam Chlebus served in it since June 1944 and Wictor Gruszczyk in late November 1944?
They were friends, lived side by side. I am in possession of photo in which they are both - from 1942.
I think the answer from the WASt dispel my uncertainty, but I get it until June of this year.
Greg do you have any proof of that Adam also served in the same unit as Wictor? Photos of Wictor Soldbuch are on the Internet.

Peter

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 19 Feb 2015, 01:38

Hi Clebus,

"V. SS-Artillerie Ausbildungs und Ersatz Regiment" is probably referring to the SS Artillery Training and Replacement Regiment. It was first listed in December 1940 and based in Berlin. The unit grew into several battalions during the war, stationed at Munich, Prague and Amersfoort. Your uncle was perhaps first assigned to this unit, and then transferred to the 5th SS Division.

"Sudetes" is perhaps referring to "Sudeten" or "Sudetenland," meaning the border region between Czechoslovakia and Silesia.

Chlebus

Post by Chlebus » 19 Feb 2015, 09:53

HI Rob

In book Tim Saunders -"Nijmegen: U. S. 82Nd Airborne Division - 1944" I found that text:
Monday 18 September 1944

(...)At this point the German artillery intervend when the remanants of SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Schwappacher's SS Artillery Training Replacement Regiment V, in position just north of the river, engaged the Americans who were approaching the road bridge's main defences. His after action report records how the Police Reservists, who were acting as infranty (...).

This unit is listed in: German Forces, Battle of Arnheim, 13-29 September 1944:
SS Schwappacher SS Artillery Training and Replacement Regiment V
(situated at Oosterhout. Observer Teams in Nijmegen. 20mm AA and MMGs deployed at Fort Hof van Holland)

It could be possible that is unit in which Adam was? I know that Adam came on a pass in December 1944 or January 1945.

Have a nice day!
Peter

p.s.
Forgive me but I do not have too much knowledge of the units of the SS.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”