Contract Hauliers for the Wehrmacht

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
_das_reich

Contract Hauliers for the Wehrmacht

Post by _das_reich » 20 Mar 2015, 15:07

I am hoping someone may be able to help me.

I came across some of my late grandfather's hand written notes about his experiences during the war.

He was conscripted in 1943 at age 35. I know he had his own haulage company before the war and continued to operate it during the early years of the war.

He mentions that he was a Fuhrunternehmer (contract haulier) for the Kraftfahrabteilung XX (20th Motor Transport Battalion). I assume this would have been prior to him being conscripted since I have photographs of him in front of the 3rd Battery SS Assault Gun Training and Replacement Battalion (SS Stu.Gesch.Aus.u.Ers.Abt.) orderly's room in a Waffen-SS StuG uniform with a caption on the back reading "Outside the barracks".

I understand that it was normal procedure to be first assigned to a training and replacement unit when called up hence why I am disregarding his initial service with an army motor transport unit.
Would contract hauliers have been issued with a ID number or Erkennungsmarke as if they had been contacted to a particular unit?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”