Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Reader3000

Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B?

Post by Reader3000 » 17 May 2015, 19:24

Gentlemen (and -women), what can you tell me about Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B? I found a Feldpostnr. which I could identify this unit (2nd company) and wonder about it. Where (in the Balkans?) was it send to? What did the soldiers do there? Thanks in advance.

cvrc

Re: Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B?

Post by cvrc » 18 May 2015, 10:28

Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon A and B were part of Jäger-Ersatz-Regiment 1. 1944-45 Operations in Croatia and later in Slovenija.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... Rgt1-R.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... BatB-R.htm

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 18 May 2015, 18:53

Thank you, but does not fulfil my interests. What did they do there? Who were the commanders etc. Is there any book about it?

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 19 May 2015, 00:21

Hi Reader3000,

1st Jäger Reserve Regiment was mainly employed in Zagreb-Karlovac area (the A Battalion spent some three months in early 1944 in northern Bosnia) and took part in numerous anti-Partisan operations in this region. Whereas to the best of my knowledge there are no monographs or articles published on this pretty obscure unit, rolls T-314/1544-8 of the LXIX Res.Kor. contain numerous references to its activities in form of war diary entries, activity reports, strength returns and organizational charts (see attached).

Cheers,

G.
Attachments
T-314-1545-0863  Staerke u. Gliederung 1 ResJaegReg.jpg

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 19 May 2015, 15:43

G. Trifkovic wrote:Hi Reader3000,

1st Jäger Reserve Regiment was mainly employed in Zagreb-Karlovac area (the A Battalion spent some three months in early 1944 in northern Bosnia) and took part in numerous anti-Partisan operations in this region. Whereas to the best of my knowledge there are no monographs or articles published on this pretty obscure unit, rolls T-314/1544-8 of the LXIX Res.Kor. contain numerous references to its activities in form of war diary entries, activity reports, strength returns and organizational charts (see attached).

Cheers,

G.
Wow, thank you. This is very interesting. What do you know about the B Battalion? The rolls you refer to are found in NARA or which archive?

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 19 May 2015, 16:00

Wow, thank you. This is very interesting. What do you know about the B Battalion? The rolls you refer to are found in NARA or which archive?
You're welcome.

At the moment I only know that it was a part of the 1st Reserve Jäger Regiment. As I said before, consulting the aforemnetioned microfilm rolls (yes, they are from NARA), and, if possible, Yugoslav secondary sources dealing with the operations in this part of Croatia, would certainly lead to more information. I could try helping you with some specific question, but unfortunately not much more due to tight schedule.

Cheers,

G.

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 19 May 2015, 16:10

Thanks, I also know just the basics. B Battalion was, as far as I know created to train all other Jäger units in winter combat, but also had the regular Ersatz-tasks (getting new personell, train them for frontline and send them to their "real" units).

The whole topic came to me through my late grandfather who spend some time with this unit and also was in Zagreb and then in Alys for some time (with interstations at Vienna and Berlin), sometime in 1943.

*edit: I also came across information that the unit was tactically under command of Croatian Division 369 for some time. So maybe the rather old book Schraml, Kriegsschauplatz Kroatien could of help here?

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 21 May 2015, 00:46

*edit: I also came across information that the unit was tactically under command of Croatian Division 369 for some time. So maybe the rather old book Schraml, Kriegsschauplatz Kroatien could of help here?
Hi Reader3000,

you are right, Schraml wrote about "ein Jägerbatl. B" in January 1944 in Eastern Bosnia (p. 80); Yugoslav historiography also mentions the regiment taking part in the winter operations 1943/44 in this area.

Cheers,

G.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”