Early war Panzer-Division

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
GregSingh

Early war Panzer-Division

Post by GregSingh » 25 May 2015, 01:04

Structure of units of 1940/41 Panzer-Division is now available on-line at
Gliederungen der Einheiten einer Panzerdivision.

They seem to be of 6. Panzer-Division from the time of Frech campaign, but diagrams for Stabskompanie are also available, which suggest Feb'41?
First page.jpg
Cover

Leo Niehorster

Re: Early war Panzer-Division

Post by Leo Niehorster » 27 May 2015, 11:50

Yeah: Difficult. Unfortunately, probably not a 1940 Panzer Division. (Unfortunately, in that, for example, the 1940 mechanized infantry still carried the pre-war organizations.)

The infantry regiment was not authorized a headquarters company until February 1941; before that, for example, the signal, engineer, and motorcycle platoons had separate KStN. The 01.02.41 KStN 1104 for the regiment headquarters is not available. But the trains were normally found in the headquarters company, not the the headquarters. Of course, some AHM (Army General Memorandum) could have modified the organization(s) — and although the organization of individual Panzer divisions' mechanized regiments varied slightly — a new headquarters company seems a bit much. Furthermore the 15 April 1940 order of battle does not show any headquarters companies. On the other hand however, there could have been an (unrecorded) provisional KStN 1153 after mid-April, but before mid-May 1940. :wink: :lol:

The diagram in the booklet for the heavy motorized field howitzer battery does not correspond to the 01.02.41 (KStN 463) version, and I do not have the earlier one (KStN 462, dated 01.10.38).

Anyway, an interesting booklet. I think it's after mid-1940, because trains are bigger than the normal 1937–1940 organizations allowed for.

My 2 Eurocents.

Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Gary Kennedy

Re: Early war Panzer-Division

Post by Gary Kennedy » 28 May 2015, 21:18

I had a look at that the other night (nice spot by the way Greg), thankfully I didn't get my hopes up too much beforehand! I did notice that the MG Coy (KStN 1116) didn't match the Feb41 issue in terms of transport.

It reminded me of the schemes that Richard Hedrick posted a while ago, which looked more like the 1937/38 KStN, but not quite the same, and I wondered whether they were perhaps revised versions of those tables, but not the Feb41 issues?

Gary

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”