370. Infanterie-Division History?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Dubliner

370. Infanterie-Division History?

Post by Dubliner » 14 Jun 2015, 05:33

Is there a German unit history published for the 370. Infanterie-Division? Are there any books covering large bits of history of the 370. Infanterie-Division? Do any books covering the Kuban bridgehead and the battles in South Ukraine provide any coverage of the 370. Inf.Div.?

Regards, Chris.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Re: 370. Infanterie-Division History?

Post by Jeff Leach » 14 Jun 2015, 06:42

I recommend you start by looking here Lexikon-der-Wehrmacht and at the end of the entries are bibliographies (they are not always complete). In the case of the 370. Infanterie-Division there is nothing listed. Next step is to look here http://www.maparchive.ru/ (it is in Russian but just use an automatic translator on the site), which has the NARA captured German documents divided up by unit. Checking the division gives rolls T315 R2158 - R2163 (there are descriptions for the contents on the rolls). You can check here Free NARA Rolls or http://wwii-microfilm.blogspot.se/ to see if any of the material is available for free. If you come up empty handed ask is someone else has the material on this thread NARA trade/exchange. You are in luck because one of the rolls should be available.

These are not the only possibilities but will do for a start. If you don't understand German you are going to need to learn a little because automatic translators only get you so far. I can tell you from experience that reading the original documents can be facinating and in many (most) cases better than reading the published material.

One last thing, the two free lists have caused lots of greif behind the scenes. Researchers are usually willing to share there research material but please respect their wishing concerning it (i.e. don't share it with others or make it available on the internet without their permission).

Dubliner

Post by Dubliner » 14 Jun 2015, 13:19

Hi Jeff,

I have already found Lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de and have searched through the major forums in English and German for posts dealing with the 370.ID. I assumed there was no unit history published for reasons you give, but I wanted to confirm. I'm in the process of learning German for work, so that will help when the online translators lead astray. I found the NARA roll numbers from a PDF of the NARA T733 R7 guide 74 posted on the strumpanzer.com site. Thanks for the good advice regarding the rolls and respecting the work of researchers.

Regards,
Chris

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 26 Jun 2015, 01:00

XIV. Festungs-Infanterie-Bataillon 999
"Am 27. Dezember 1943 traf das Bataillon bei der 370. Infanterie-Division ein und wurde beim Dorf Beloserka am Dnjepr eingesetzt."
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... FIB999.htm

there might be some further information in this book:
"Die 999er: von d. Brigade "Z" zur Afrika-Division 999"
http://d-nb.info/860333558

Dubliner

Post by Dubliner » 28 Jun 2015, 23:23

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the interesting link between a "999" unit and the 370.ID.

There also seems to be a link between the 370.ID and survivors of the 5.Luftwaffen-Feld-Division, but no hard evidence that the 370.ID absorbed any members of the 5.Lw.Feld Div.

Chris.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”