Typical German Battle Formations around Stalingrad

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
White Fox

Typical German Battle Formations around Stalingrad

Post by White Fox » 22 Jul 2015, 09:30

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with coming up with a plausible and typical Battle formation of the Germans fighting the Russians in the snow around Stalingrad.

I'm writing a fiction book and have seen the movie Stalingrad (1993) which has an excellent battle setting - All Russian tanks and infantry against Germans who have dug in.

E.g. was it typical to have a few tanks, troop trucks, Artillery etc. Even if you could point me in the right direction on-line

Thank You

White Fox

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Re: Typical German Battle Formations around Stalingrad

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 23 Jul 2015, 10:21

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to a location where you are likely to get more replies.

This is a very general overview. Do ask if you have more specific questions.

A typical German infantry division in early 1943 did not have any significant degree of mechanization. Transportation of heavy equipment was done by horse cart. Infantry divisions did not have any tanks, but assault gun (see picture below) battalions would be assigned to divisions for specific engagements.

In a German infantry squad, there was an MG 34 machine gun crew, the NCO had an MP 40 submachine gun, and the soldiers had K 98 k rifles. During Stalingrad, it was common for soldiers to swap their weapons with Russian PPSh submachine guns, which were more useful in urban combat. Each company would have mortars attached, and each regiment would have anti-aircraft weapons. The division would also have an 5 cm Pak 38 anti-tank gun battalion, an infantry gun battalion, and an artillery battery. The artillery battery would not see front-line combat, but the infantry guns would (they were designed to destroy bunkers and pillboxes).

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 23 Jul 2015, 16:10

Hello, I recommend getting The Stalingrad Trilogy (Glantz, 5 books) which will answer all your questions.

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 25 Jul 2015, 06:56

An Infantryman in Stalingrad by Leaping Horseman Books

White Fox

Post by White Fox » 26 Jul 2015, 13:11

Thank You very much Christian, Cult Icon and J Keenan.

Any information helps for this fiction epic which delves a little into the skirmishes in an around Stalin in a Snow, Mud, Ice environment.

I've also watched Stalingrad (1993) which shows a fairly brutal attack of Soviet Tanks against German Infantry dug in, in the Snow

I am also reading a book by General Leon Degrelle entitled: 'CAMPAIGN IN RUSSIA.....The Waffen SS on the Eastern Front.

Thanks Again

:)

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”