possible unit? 715. Infanterie-Division?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Shane6969

possible unit? 715. Infanterie-Division?

Post by Shane6969 » 14 Sep 2015, 01:16

Hi All,
I am trying to find out which unit my Dad's cousin belonged to. He was a Toolmaker by trade and employed in his unit as a Toolmaker. His unit was in France first, then sent to Italy around 1943, then sent to the Eastern Front in the last months of the war. When his unit was sent to the Eastern Front he was transferred to it's Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung, which had just been equipped with the Panzerjäger "Hetzer". He was wounded and captured when his unit (and his Hetzer) was destroyed by the Russians in the closing stages of the war. After close examination of all Infanterie-Divisions which were in France, then Italy and finally in Russia (and equiped with Hetzers) at the said times, I came to the conclusion that his unit probably the 715. Infanterie-Division. Would this be correct?
Thanks in advance.

The 51st Division

Re: possible unit? 715. Infanterie-Division?

Post by The 51st Division » 17 Sep 2015, 03:07

Well, the movement of the 715. Infanterie-Division certainly fits with that of of your dad's cousin. But do you have some more specific information to pinpoint? Like where was he captured and what did he's battalion do before it was destroyed? Or do you have any pictures of him in his uniform? Things like that can certainly be helpful.
"The nation might be powerful, yet it shall be destroyed if it seeks war; the world might be peaceful, yet it shall be doomed if it forgets war."
--The Method of the Sima, Qin Dynasty Chinese Military Classic

Shane6969

Post by Shane6969 » 17 Sep 2015, 03:42

Hi 51st,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is a photo of him in June 1943 while on leave. He is in the centre. My Grandfather is the taller man on his left while his father is the shorter man on his right. Apparently his Hetzer unit didn't last very long at all and his Commander 's vehicle was incinerated in the attack. He was a Loader in the Hetzer. He was captured and was a POW for a few years after the war, being held captive by both Russians and Poles.
Apparently while in Italy he was Sentry on a train which he had to jump off as it was blown up by US fighter-bombers. I'm pretty sure he went to Italy in 1943 (from France) and went to either Poland/Czeckoslovakia around March/April 1945, when his Hetzer unit was annihilated.
He was from Großschwabhausen, Thüringen.
Cheers
Attachments
Opa_Willy.jpg

CNE503

Post by CNE503 » 18 Sep 2015, 19:08

He may have been transferred from an unit deployed in France to another one in Italy also (or from one deployed in Italy to another one in Eastern Europe). It doesn't mean that it was the same unit.

CNE503
"Sicut Aquila" / "Ils s'instruisent pour vaincre" / "par l'exemple, le coeur et la raison" / "Labor Omnia Vincit"

Shane6969

Post by Shane6969 » 20 Sep 2015, 07:14

I spoke to my Dad (who was close to his cousin both during the war and after it). He said he's pretty sure his cousin wasn't transferred between units. The info I have was given to me by my Dad.
Cheers

Shane6969

Post by Shane6969 » 16 May 2016, 11:29

My Dad's cousin Willy (2nd from right) in uniform in Italy, ?1944
Attachments
willy_italy_01.jpg

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”