Jäger-Bataillon 2

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
keith A

Jäger-Bataillon 2

Post by keith A » 02 Oct 2015, 21:54

Can anyone tell me what significant this unit fought in during 1942-44? I know there must have been some heavy engagements because two of their officers received the DKiG in early 1943, and Oblt. Frech was awarded the RK in late 1943. I have looked at various sources but apart from their assignments to various higher formations I cannot see any mention of their taking part in the more famous battles.

best regards

Keith

Leo Niehorster

Re: Jäger-Bataillon 2

Post by Leo Niehorster » 05 Oct 2015, 13:07

Riased from Jagd-Kommando 1 in July 1942.
During 1942 – 1943, they were heavily engaged around the Pripet Marshes (aka Pinsk Marshes), central Russia.
1942: Kholm, Vitebsk, Belarus
1943: Orscha, Vitebsk, Belarus (Army Group Center)
Amalgamated into 1st Ski Brigade winter 43/44.

Source:
   Tessin
   “Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg”
   Vol 2
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

keith A

Post by keith A » 05 Oct 2015, 14:23

Thanks Leo. I assume they were in action again partisans for much of their existence. There was a rise in attacks on German units in that period.

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 06 Oct 2015, 09:06

The Jäger-Bataillonen were conceived as anti-partisan units to combat the ever increasing and ever stronger groupings of well-organized and equipped partisan bands behind the German lines. These special mobile light infantry units had originally been designated as Jagd-Kommandos (i.e. Hunter Commandos). Equipped with Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO), the Jäger battalions could quickly move to trouble spots. Besides the RSO’s, the Jäger battalions also had sleds and skis included in their organizational tables for winter mobility.

The Jäger battalions were also occasionally used a regular combat units, such as in the Battle of Kursk, where the 9th, 10th, and 11th Battalions were gathered under the Headquarters, 19. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade, (known as the “Gruppe von Manteufel”), assigned to the XXXXVI. Panzerkorps, and the 8th and 13th Battalions fought under the Headquarters, 18. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade which was assigned to the XXIII. Armeekorps.

Unfortunately, unless one just happens to stumble across them in narratives, battalions are rarely documented. Heavy tank battalions excepted, of course.

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 06 Oct 2015, 10:14

Leo Niehorster wrote:The Jäger-Bataillonen were conceived as anti-partisan units to combat the ever increasing and ever stronger groupings of well-organized and equipped partisan bands behind the German lines. These special mobile light infantry units had originally been designated as Jagd-Kommandos (i.e. Hunter Commandos). Equipped with Raupenschlepper Ost (RSO), the Jäger battalions could quickly move to trouble spots. Besides the RSO’s, the Jäger battalions also had sleds and skis included in their organizational tables for winter mobility.

The Jäger battalions were also occasionally used a regular combat units, such as in the Battle of Kursk, where the 9th, 10th, and 11th Battalions were gathered under the Headquarters, 19. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade, (known as the “Gruppe von Manteufel”), assigned to the XXXXVI. Panzerkorps, and the 8th and 13th Battalions fought under the Headquarters, 18. Panzer-Grenadier-Brigade which was assigned to the XXIII. Armeekorps.

Unfortunately, unless one just happens to stumble across them in narratives, battalions are rarely documented. Heavy tank battalions excepted, of course.
Leo, do you have information on Jäger-Btl. B? My grandfather served in this unit for some time in 1943 (see other threads in the forum).

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 06 Oct 2015, 11:00

Sorry, Tessin does not list any Jäger battalions in Vol. 14 under the index "B", and I have no further information.

There was, however, a Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B, raised 01.11.42 in Arys (now Orzysz in Poland) from the Lehrtruppen der Winterschule, as part of the Jäger-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Regiment 1 in Wehrkreis I, the latter redesignated as Skijäger-Ersatz-und Ausbildungs-Regiment 1 on 09.08.43. Further redesignated as Skijäger-Ersatz-Regiment 1. Moved to Taus (known Domažlice in the Czech Republic) in WK Böhmen/Mähren early 1944, where the regiment was reduced to battalion size. The battalions themselves were probably reduced to company size. Then to Cilli (Celje in Slovenia) [in what was known in German as the Steiermark] in 1945.

Source:
   Tessin
   “Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg”
   Vol 2

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 06 Oct 2015, 11:21

Leo Niehorster wrote:Sorry, Tessin does not list any Jäger battalions in Vol. 14 under the index "B", and I have no further information.

There was, however, a Jäger-Ersatz-Bataillon B, raised 01.11.42 in Arys (now Orzysz in Poland) from the Lehrtruppen der Winterschule, as part of the Jäger-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Regiment 1 in Wehrkreis I, the latter redesignated as Skijäger-Ersatz-und Ausbildungs-Regiment 1 on 09.08.43. Further redesignated as Skijäger-Ersatz-Regiment 1. Moved to Taus (known Domažlice in the Czech Republic) in WK Böhmen/Mähren early 1944, where the regiment was reduced to battalion size. The battalions themselves were probably reduced to company size. Then to Cilli (Celje in Slovenia) [in what was known in German as the Steiermark] in 1945.

Source:
   Tessin
   Vol 2
Yes, thanks. Indeed it was the Jäger-Ersatz-Btl. B., he was in the 2nd company and spent some time near Zagreb (Agram). I still have to find out about his other units via WASt.

keith A

Post by keith A » 14 Oct 2015, 19:54

Would this put Jag-Btl 2 in the battle of the Bryansk Forests in May-June 1943?

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 23 May 2018, 16:58

bump - any news on that?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”