Regiment in Bärzdorf

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Rossano

Regiment in Bärzdorf

Post by Rossano » 12 Nov 2015, 13:31

Hello
who can tell me which Rgt. fought beginning of Febr. 45 in Bärzdorf (Brieg) ?
thanks, Rossano

GregSingh

Re: Regiment in Bärzdorf

Post by GregSingh » 20 Nov 2015, 04:17

There seem to be no German records available from 17. Armee or VIII. AK for February 1945.

According to Soviet reports (21 Army) 100. Jäger-Division was in the area, just north of Strehlen.

In a German book about Strehlen in early 1945, I found that 208. ID was unloading at the local train station as early as 3rd of February, but I am not sure where it was sent after. Soviet reports do not mention presence of 208. ID in the area.

Fighting near Bärzdorf most likely happened in mid-February, at the beginning of the month front line was further east.

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 20 Nov 2015, 14:45

The reason of my query is that I ' ve found it at OTL. v.Caprivi' s death announce "4.2.45+ in Bärzdorf/Brieg as Rgts.Fü.". So my question, which Rgt. ? Maybe ad hoc ?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 Nov 2015, 03:56

Looks like I was looking in the wrong place.
There is another village called Bärzdorf, now Bierzów, 50°49′N 17°21′E, much closer to Brieg (now Brzeg).
And Soviet reports from 9th Guards Airborne Division (from 33rd Guards Corps of 5th Guards Army) confirm heavy fighting there on the 4th of February. Unfortunately no info about opponent.

Captured and translated German document available among Soviet 21 Army reports, mentions Kampfgruppe von Kaprivi (Caprivi ?) as being part of Festung Brieg and authorized for a break out on 5/6 of February. At that time Kampfgruppe von Kaprivi seemed to be of battalion size.
For the time of the break out attempt Kampfgruppe von Kaprivi was reinforced by sugar refinery and Mudra-Kaserne garrisons, which were ordered to withdraw last.

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 25 Nov 2015, 10:21

Hello Greg, thanks for Your info
Do You mean that his Kampfgruppe (v."C"aprivi) was possibly an independent regiment ad hoc (without regular number) ?
Rgds., Rossano

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 26 Nov 2015, 03:31

Yes, Kampfgruppe did not have any numbers assigned to it.
Keep in mind that German document which mentioned it, is dated 5th of Feb 1945.

We don't know which units were under Oberstleutnant's Andreas von CAPRIVI command near Bärzdorf / Bierzów on the 4th, when he was killed.
It's possible Kampfgruppe was only created in Brieg on the 5th for purpose of break out.

Curiously, commandant of Festung Brieg, did not seem to know that Caprivi was already dead, or perhaps he did not die on 4th ?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”