Königstiger [King Tiger] - Ardennes

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Yorke Scarlett

Königstiger [King Tiger] - Ardennes

Post by Yorke Scarlett » 03 Jun 2016, 18:47

I'm new to the Forum so please forgive me if I've posted this request in the incorrect topic.

This basically is a question of the location of the 501 Battalion King Tigers at the end of KG Peiper's battle of those vehicles that were either knocked out/destroyed/abandoned, for one reason or another.

I was reading a book recently which included an account of a commander of an American AT detachment after the Battle of Cheneux wanting to practise firing a 57mm on a 'Tiger' tank using a super velocity round.

To my knowledge there were no King Tigers knocked out/abandoned in or around the Cheneux area after the battle.

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm whether or not this was the case.

Thanks in advance

GregSingh

Re: Königstiger [King Tiger] - Ardennes

Post by GregSingh » 13 Jun 2016, 11:20

:welcome:

Tiger 105 was fired at by AT guns from 526th US Inf. near Stavelot on the 18th of Dec 1944 and was abandoned.

Greg Walden

Post by Greg Walden » 13 Jun 2016, 21:02

This book has the details of where the KTs of s. SS-Pz.Abt. 501 were left at the end of the Ardennes Offensive https://www.amazon.com/Tigers-Ardennes- ... entries*=0

None of the Tigers were knocked out/abandoned right around Cheneux.

Best,
Greg
Attachments
TitA Cover.jpg
TitA Cover.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 773 times

Yorke Scarlett

Post by Yorke Scarlett » 14 Jun 2016, 18:19

Thanks for the replies guys,

As I suspected - no Tigers in and around Cheneux at the end of the fighting there. A mis-identified Panther (No. 131) perhaps - I have one on the road from the bridge to the village disabled during the air attack on the 18th December.

Thanks again.

Greg,

Thanks again for the lead on your book - I shall source as soon as I can.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”