Help identifying combat site

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
kriemhild123

Help identifying combat site

Post by kriemhild123 » 13 Jun 2016, 06:21

"In Werch Oljechowatoe traf das Bataillon auf Reste der 5. Fahrkolonne, deren Chef, Oberleutnant Eilers, gefallen war." The excerpt is from page 206 of Karl Knoblauch's book "Kampf und Untergang der 95. Infanteriedivision". It is of particular interest to my wife as that reference is to her father's death. I am looking for the location of Werch Oljechowatoe in the operational area of Infantry Division 95 in January 1942. I have looked over the available maps in the book and located many of the combat sites but have not found Werch Oljechowatoe. Any help would be appreciated.

GregSingh

Re: Help identifying combat site

Post by GregSingh » 13 Jun 2016, 09:43

Most likely you are after Werchneje Olchowatoje, now called Vyshneolkhovatoye (Вышнеольховатое), Kurskaya Oblast, just north of Shchigry (Щигры), here: 51.985691, 36.921860

You can also find it on Z52, German 1942 Osteuropa 1:300000 map.

I'm pretty sure that village was researched earlier on this forum...

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 14 Jun 2016, 21:27

Alois Anton Eilers

Alois Anton Eilers wurde noch nicht auf einen vom Volksbund errichteten Soldatenfriedhof überführt.
Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen befindet sich sein Grab derzeit noch an folgendem Ort: Kursk - Rußland

Der Volksbund ist bemüht, auf der Grundlage von Kriegsgräberabkommen die Gräber der deutschen Soldaten zu finden und ihnen auf Dauer gesicherte Ruhestätten zu geben. Wir hoffen, in nicht allzu ferner Zukunft auch das Grab von Alois Anton Eilers zu finden und die Gebeine auf einen Soldatenfriedhof überführen zu können.

Name und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten sind auch im Gedenkbuch der Kriegsgräberstätte verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass auf einigen Friedhöfen nicht die aktuelle Version ausliegt, somit kann der Name Ihres Angehörigen darin evtl. noch nicht verzeichnet sein.
Nachname:
Eilers
Vorname:
Alois Anton
Dienstgrad:
Oberleutnant
Geburtsdatum:
Geburtsort:
Nordwalde
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
Todes-/Vermisstenort:
Werchneje Oljchewatoje

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 15 Jun 2016, 01:20

Yep, you already asked about that village back in 2013 as marty123:
My wife's father, Oberleutnant Aloys Eilers was killed in action on Jan 21, 1942
And you never responded to our findings back then, which came up with exactly the same place.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=199431

kriemhild123

Post by kriemhild123 » 15 Jun 2016, 03:43

thanks so much for the information. It was most comforting to my wife. I am including excerpts from the letter from Eilers
Division Leader that read.....
Dear Frau Eilers,
Unfortunately I have a sad duty to meet today. 1 must notify you of the heroic death of your beloved husband. I and all my units wish to express our heartfelt condolences to you. It has even hit me hard. He was my best and most capable officer, he brought summer to me since I knew him from many tournaments (my note – equestrian tournaments) together
He was leading his unit in the defense of a village (my note – Werch Oljechowatoe) during a breakthrough by the Russians. Through the exemplary conduct of his column he saved and prevent greater harm to other soldiers' lives.
You must find comfort that here in the east we stand to defend home and country, but especially to protect our families who would lose wives and children if the Russians would invade us
His people, who were united, told me he had had a rapid end by a head shot. He was killed on January 21, 1942 at 7 clock in the morning. I let him lie with the other fallen soldiers. He is now buried in Orel near Kursk............(My note – In keeping with the times he added) You can console yourself into thinking that your man has given his life for the highest, for family, country and his Fuhrer whose devotee he was always. I remain with best wishes and with heartfelt sympathy.
Sincerely, B Veltins Captain and Division Leader

Captain Veltins was Prophetic. The Russian invasion of Germany was difficult for all Germans who were in the Russian
Zone including my wife.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”