Infantry Squad Members Roles & Responsbilities - Ammo Carrier

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
militaryhistoryvisualized

Infantry Squad Members Roles & Responsbilities - Ammo Carrier

Post by militaryhistoryvisualized » 23 Aug 2016, 05:31

Just working my way through "German Squad in Combat" (https://archive.org/details/TheGermanSquadInCombat), which should be a translation of a German field manual done by US military intelligence in WW2. (Sadly I couldn't find the title of the original document.)

Now, for the Ammo Carrier the following duties are listed as follows:

"If possible, the ammunition-carrier takes a position to the rear, under cover. He inspects the ammunition belts and ammunition. He also operates as a close-in or hand-to-hand fighter."

Now, about the last part, I am not sure if it is meant that in the worst case he will NOT sit back, but defend the MG or if this is more of an active role, e.g., that he was trained for assault or hand-to-hand combat. I suspect the first one, but all the other roles have not listed "close-in or hand-to-hand fighter", only regular infantry men have "The riflemen execute the close-combat fighting with rifle fire and bayonet."

Gary Kennedy

Re: Infantry Squad Members Roles & Responsbilities - Ammo Carrier

Post by Gary Kennedy » 24 Aug 2016, 01:16

I have a copy of "German Squad tactics in WWII" by Matthew Gajkowski, which I think is culled from that same contemporary piece. Under the third member of the LMG team he states responsibilities as;

1. Supply ammunition.
2. Refill empty drum magazines with loose rounds from the ammn boxes.
3. Care for loose ammn and equipment when there is a change of position.
4. Examine the ammn to be fired.
5. If the situation requires,, independent employment as a rifleman and close combat fighter.

I'd suggest he was an integral member of the LMG det unless and until circumstances required he operate as a rifleman, which could be anywhere in the Squad's local area, not just restricted to defending the LMG.

Gary

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”