Pz.Div. Feldherrnhalle in Budapest

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Dunnigan

Pz.Div. Feldherrnhalle in Budapest

Post by Dunnigan » 13 Oct 2016, 22:42

Hi,

I'm confused on the structure of the Feldherrnhalle Division that was fought in Budapest. Between Ungvary's "Battle for Budapest" and Nevekin's "Fire Brigades", I still don't have a clear picture of the forces in this division that was inside the pocket. In particular are the number of Panzergrenadier Battalions, where "Fire Brigades" says Pz.Gren.Rgt. "FHH" minus the II. Btl was in the pocket. This implies only one battalion. Earlier, when Nevekin discusses the transition of the Feldherrnhalle from a Panzergrenadier-Division to Panzer-Division, the Pz.Gren.Rgt. "FHH" was to have three battalion but looks that the III. Btl. was never formed. Also, the Pz.Gren.Rgt. FÜsilier was to be detached to form other units for Feldherrnhalle but this didn't occur with the Soviets pressing the Axis in Hungary.

Ungvary doesn't discuss the Feldherrnhalle in much detail but in one chapter he says that the division one Panzergrenadier battalion out of four was not in the pocket. This implies that possibly the Füsilier-Regiment was in Budapest? I only have scant information on the Füsilier-Regiment after the conversion from PG to Pz.

I also have Szamveber's "Sword Behind the Shield" but haven't looked at this in depth for any mention of the Budapest garrison (it shouldn't since this is about the Konrad Operations) but there is one mention of the II Btl. being included in KGr. Philipp.

Does anyone have any insight?

Dunnigan

Re: Pz.Div. Feldherrnhalle in Budapest

Post by Dunnigan » 14 Oct 2016, 16:30

Of course I turn the page of Fire Brigades and it notes that II/ Gren-Rgt "F" leads the breakout from Budapest.

Feldherrnhalle as a PG Div has a Grenadier Regiment and a Fusilier Regiment. As a Pz Div it was to have PG-Rgt "F" and a Gren-Rgt "F" with the latter only being vaguely mentioned.

I'm leaning towards thinking the division having both Infantry Regiments (PG and Gren) with the II/PG (gep.) being outside the pocket (and subsequently being used to reform FHH 1 Divison.

Given the dynamic nature of the fighting in Hungary while trying to convert a division in close contact with the enemy is hard. What it's clear exactly is how units were renamed or reformed. Fire Brigades does describe this but doesn't tie everything together well. I'm a bit hesitant to buy "Feldherrnhalle: Forgotten Elite" as I don't know if that will give me answer compared to the price that's being offered.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”